Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No easy fixes for Gibbs, Redskins

CHUBAKAH

Washington won't be in contention this year, despite legendary coach

Former Redskins coach George Allen used to say "The future is now.” Well, not now it isn't.

Allen believed in quick fixes and instant winning, but the problems in Washington these days are deep-seated and won't be easy for coach Joe Gibbs to root out despite his impressive resume built two decades ago.

Last year the Redskins finished 30th in total offens,e and the trade that brought disappointing wide receiver Santana Moss a change of scenery and the signing of David Patten as a free agent to be their No. 1 receiver really don't look like the answer.

What those deals look like is Gibbs trying to roll back the past, signing small receivers who remind him of the Smurfs, the undersized group he used to win Super Bowls during his first tenure in the nation's capitol. That's fine, but Patten was never able to be a No. 1 receiver in New England, although he has great speed and is willing to do anything you ask. Moss also was a disappointment, never reaching the potential the Jets felt he had so New York traded him for Laveranues Coles, himself an ex-Jet who was unhappy in Washington.

The best off-season move was probably drafting cornerback Carlos Rogers with their first selection because they lost Fred Smoot from a defense that finished among the league's elite a year ago. That's a credit to coordinator Gregg Williams, who may have struggled as head coach in Buffalo but did a remarkable job with suspect talent last season. The Redskins finished third in total defense, second in rushing defense, fifth in points allowed and seventh in pass defense. Now they have to overcome the loss of Smoot and middle linebacker Antonio Pierce.

Williams will closely monitor the play of Lemar Marshall, who did a good job a year ago subbing for injured LaVar Arrington on the weakside but must step in for Pierce at middle linebacker full time. Marshall started 14 games last season and did well, but he's a converted college defensive back who barely weighs 230. Can he hold up to the pounding you take at middle linebacker? This bears watching because if Marshall can't handle the position, Williams probably will ask Michael Barrow, out all last year with a knee injury, to step in. He's got the experience but this is his 13th season and he's slowing down.

The development, or lack thereof, of young quarterback Patrick Ramsey also bears close watching. Washington finished 30th in total offense last season and 29th in passing, averaging only 164.5 yards a game. Ramsey was 3-4 as a starter and has a rocket for an arm, but he's erratic and lacks the kind of soft touch Gibbs favors. Can he change his style before Gibbs changes quarterbacks again?

Hot seat: Patrick Ramsey.

Ramsey is a young quarterback who could soon end up in the midst of another quarterback controversy. He's been erratic at best but for the second year in a row he has to look over his shoulder and that doesn't help. In 2004 it was the presence of veteran Mark Brunell, who everyone but Gibbs seemed to know no longer had the arm necessary to win in the NFL. That being the case, Gibbs turned first to Ramsey but then used a first-round pick on Auburn rookie Jason Campbell in April even though there were more pressing needs at other positions unless, of course, Gibbs has as little faith in young Ramsey as it appears. Gibbs claimed the drafting of Campbell had "very little to do with Ramsey.” Sure, Pinocchio.

Overheard:

Despite his many skills, running back Clinton Portis' style was not a fit for Gibbs' offense. Portis averaged only 3.8 yards a carry last year on 343 carries. He gained 1,315 tough yards, mostly between the tackles, when his real forte is running the stretch plays outside he used to produce so many yards for the Broncos before being traded for Champ Bailey a year ago. Gibbs has promised to adjust how he uses Portis to accent his positives. He'd love to get him more into the passing game where he can get him in space and let him use his speed and elusiveness but Gibbs has been doing it his way for a long time and change is never easy.

Outlook:

Not much better than a year ago unless Ramsey blossoms because they can't play much better on defense and could play worse with the loss of Smoot and Pierce.

Prediction:

Fourth.

Ron Borges writes regularly for NBCSports.com and covers the NFL for the Boston Globe.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8667927/

What really pisses me off sometimes is Bill Parcels can turn any situation around, and Gibbs can't. WHose paying these guys to write such narrow minded pieces. They don't take into account anything realated to football. They look at our personell and make grand predictions. Are you serious?!!! Joe will adjust, and these guys will have to acquire a taste for crow.

I love it!

I couldn't be more excited to watch us play this year. These retards have no idea what Gibbs has in store for the season.

Keep pouring on the negative press, boys! This is going to be awesome to watch!

:point2sky

The media is so dumb. This is all I ever read. Parcells will turn it around, Gibbs won't (even though Gibbs > Parcells) and Boller will be great and Ramsey won't (even though Ramsey>>>Boller). Also, I have learned that even though Plaxico Burress has never been a number one, he's better than Moss and Patten and Julius Jones is a better back then Clinton Portis. The media is DUMB.

Originally posted by dg28daman

The media is so dumb. This is all I ever read. Parcells will turn it around, Gibbs won't (even though Gibbs > Parcells) and Boller will be great and Ramsey won't (even though Ramsey>>>Boller). Also, I have learned that even though Plaxico Burress has never been a number one, he's better than Moss and Patten and Julius Jones is a better back then Clinton Portis. The media is DUMB.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

What a poorly written article. I seriously thought it was off of someone's personal blog or something until I saw Borges name on it.

I also didn't know we picked up Patten to be a no. 1 receiver. pretty funny.

Originally posted by boobiemiles

What really pisses me off sometimes is Bill Parcels can turn any situation around, and Gibbs can't.

That's because Parcell's is a media whore just as he is a whore when it comes to coaching. Let's face it, Bill has been around a few teams and improved their records quickly. Gibbs is a true Redskin who would not ever consider head coaching for any other team. Translation: Gibbs has not proven his turnaround capability to the media as the whore Tuna has. In Gibbs we trust!

blahblahblah

What I don't get is everyone saying Gibbs won't adjust. That is just stupid. He changed every year depending on the type of players he had. Last year he learned what he had and this year he's going to make it work.

Poo shoe on these mediots who know nothing.

Hey, how dare you besmirch Tom Brady's band of Golden Boys by comparing a facet of their team to lowly bottomfeeders like the Redskins. We don't belong in a class with them...

I mean, they have incredible defensive schemes. (So do we).

Well, they have a very good secondary. (Ours is better).

But you forget, they have a sound and strong offensive line. (Ours is better).

Ah, but what about Corey Dillon? (Portis is better).

Yeah, but look at their LB corps. (Call it a wash, and that's generous with Bruschi and Ted Johnson both gone).

Well, their WR corps is very underrated, they are all speedy with good hands. (Sounds familiar).

They've got a very good up-and-coming TE in Daniel Graham. (Well, we got this kid named Cooley).

Fine fine, but here's the kicker: They have a future Hall of Fame coach. (Ours is already there).

And that of course brings us to the Golden Boy himself. I think Tom Brady is overrated, but if Ramsey can raise the level of his game to close to Brady's, I think we are looking at a very dangerous team indeed. Poise, accuracy, and efficiency. If Patrick can master those elements of quarterbacking (as Brady has) I think the sky is the limit for this team.

Archived