Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should I take this bet?

Dallsux

:vikesuck:

I have a co-worker who is a Vikings fan that is willing to bet me ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY (I made sure to clarify that) that the Redskins won't go .500 this season. Now usually, I won't bet money on the Redskins...EVER. I can't be objective about them & would NEVER bet against them, no matter what. I have bet on the Redskins before & paid for it...literally. I'm just curious what everyone else thinks. Should I bet on the Redskins going over .500 or not?

:logo: :logo: :logo:

Originally posted by jrockster77

Won't go .500....make sure he's not being sneaky and expects you to pay him if they are 9-7 or better....

If he means they'll finish worse than .500, take that bet!

He means that the Redskins will NOT finish 8-8 or better. I'm thinking $50 for this bet.

The Redskins were 6-10 a year ago with an offense that was 30th in yardage, and 31st in scoring offense.

When you closely analyze that 6-10 record, you'll see that the Skins downright handed one game to the opponent on a silver platter with seven turnovers (New York), had very bad luck in two games where officiating was arguably the difference between a win and a loss (Dallas and Green Bay), and lost another simply due to their inability to milk the clock with one first down, as well as a mental lapse very late in the game (Dallas). Those are four games that could have very well turned out to be victories.

Taking into consideration just how pathetic our offense was a year ago, and just how close we were to winning a few more games despite this, ask yourself the following questions:

1) Will Gregg Williams keep our defensive performance in the top half of the league rankings?

2) What is the likelihood that a Joe Gibbs led offense will sputter for a second straight season?

3) Does continuity mean anything in the game of football?

If your responses to the questions are as follows.....

1) There is no reason to believe he won't. He has a great track record as a coordinator.

2) Pigs have a better chance of flying.

3) Hell yeah.

......then you've just won yourself 50 bucks.

I'm not saying the Skins will be world beaters by any means. What I am saying is that even a middle of the road offensive ranking (assuming the defense remains our strength) has to be worth two more wins from a season ago.

Originally posted by Canadian Hog

The Redskins were 6-10 a year ago with an offense that was 30th in yardage, and 31st in scoring offense.

When you closely analyze that 6-10 record, you'll see that the Skins downright handed one game to the opponent on a silver platter with seven turnovers (New York), had very bad luck in two games where officiating was arguably the difference between a win and a loss (Dallas and Green Bay), and lost another simply due to their inability to milk the clock with one first down, as well as a mental lapse very late in the game (Dallas). Those are four games that could have very well turned out to be victories.

Taking into consideration just how pathetic our offense was a year ago, and just how close we were to winning a few more games despite this, ask yourself the following questions:

1) Will Gregg Williams keep our defensive performance in the top half of the league rankings?

2) What is the likelihood that a Joe Gibbs led offense will sputter for a second straight season?

3) Does continuity mean anything in the game of football?

If your responses to the questions are as follows.....

1) There is no reason to believe he won't. He has a great track record as a coordinator.

2) Pigs have a better chance of flying.

3) Hell yeah.

......then you've just won yourself 50 bucks.

I'm not saying the Skins will be world beaters by any means. What I am saying is that even a middle of the road offensive ranking (assuming the defense remains our strength) has to be worth two more wins from a season ago.

Yeah, that's part of what brought this wager on. I was telling him how the Redskins could have bery easily been 10-6 last year, maybe even 12-4 with the amount of games that we lost by 7 points or less. One good play, lucky bounce, or official looking the other way (like in the Dallas, Green Bay, Dallas games) & we would have also been in the playoffs. I told him that with a year of learning the "new" NFL under his belt, Gibbs will have this thing turned around & will be handing other coaches their heads at the end of each game. That's when he made the wager. I told him I would have to get back to him about it. I didn't want to make any rash decisions (even though I almost said, "How's a thousand sound?" before I could think. Thank God I've grown up enough to be able to think before I speak...at least in this instance. :laugh: ).

Originally posted by denverdan

Sounds like easy money

this coming from a man who is the offspring of a keno runner and a craps dealer, who was born in the great silver state of NEVADA.

Make sure you clarifly the 8-8 part.

Already done. I made sure of the details before leaving work that day. The only detail left to work out is how much.

I made the exact same bet with a friend of mine, 8-8 or better and I win. But, anyone can make this bet because as it turns out the actual vegas lines for the redskins over/under on the season are 7.5. So 8 wins and above is a winner. That is actually the favored pick, so you would do better to make that bet with another person than you would with a bookie. Good luck...cause if you win, i win :) (and the redskins win too, of course!!!)

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Since all of you are so sure, you should ALL make the exact same bet. Vegas over/under odds for your teams total amount of wins is 7.5 this year meaning each of you can take this sure thing if you so desire.

And I will be. When I'm in Vegas sometime next month. :)

Originally posted by GSF

Damn CSA, you don't think Gibbs can improve by 2 games? Take the bet, fast!

Oh, I think Gibbs can improve by 6 games, I just wanted to know what the rest of the Board thought or how everyone else felt about it. I am pretty confident that Gibbs will have us in the win column alot more this year.

:thumbsup:

Archived