Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone know the correct way to use a soldering iron?

codeorama

Seriously. I"d like to replace the pots on one of my guitars. The last time I tried I got frustrated, but in my defense, I tried to do all of them at once, this time I will only be replacing 2 and I will do them one at a time.

Anyway, What's the proper technique?

Thanks

Not sure how this translates to what you're doing. Normally you add flux to the pieces to be soldered together. Hold the pieces in the position to be soldered and heat with the iron. When it's hot enough, the solder will flow between the parts. The flux encourages this as well as cleans the surfaces so the bond is strong.

Plug it in and let it get hot.

Pre-tin the wires and pot lugs - this means putting a small dab of solder on each. Be careful not to put so much on the pot lugs that you block the hole, though.

A good Mechanical connection makes a good electrical connection, which means thread the wires through the lug holes in such a way that you don't need to be hold them for them to stay in on their own. If 2 (or more) wires need to go into the same hole, put both in at once - don't solder one in and then try to get the other one in afterwards. Let a nice goop of slder accumulate on the tip of the iron, then drop it on the connection. For you pot lugs, the entire hole should be covered.

To see this stuff done on video, check out one of these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Video,_DVD,_software/Amps,_electronics.html

Originally posted by stevenaa

Not sure how this translates to what you're doing. Normally you add flux to the pieces to be soldered together. Hold the pieces in the position to be soldered and heat with the iron. When it's hot enough, the solder will flow between the parts. The flux encourages this as well as cleans the surfaces so the bond is strong.

Me no speaka spanish...

:laugh:

What is flux?

It sounds like you use the iron to heat the parts then you touch the solder to it? Is that what you mean?

Originally posted by Riggo-toni

Pre-tin the wires and pot lugs - this means putting a small dab of solder on each. Be careful not to put so much on the pot lugs that you block the hole, though.

A good Mechanical connection makes a good electrical connection, which means thread the wires through the lug holes in such a way that you don't need to be hold them for them to stay in on their own. If 2 (or more) wires need to go into the same hole, put both in at once - don't solder one in and then try to get the other one in afterwards. Let a nice goop of slder accumulate on the tip of the iron, then drop it on the connection. For you pot lugs, the entire hole should be covered.

Thanks riggo...

That's what I needed.:cheers: :cheers: :notworthy

Flux is a paste material you paint on with a little brush. It is an acidic material that cleans the parts to be soldered and helps the solder flow well.

Some solder has a flux core. It will say on the label.

Ahhh... Cool.

Thanks for the info.:cheers:

Flux is a paste material you paint on with a little brush. It is an acidic material that cleans the parts to be soldered and helps the solder flow well.

Some solder has a flux core. It will say on the label.

The flux we use is in liquid form, much easier. It basically makes the solder go where the flux is. Its really only used for populating circuit-boards with very small components when you have very little room for error. In your case, you probably don't need it.

Riggo's advice was golden, just follow that. And I'll second the notion that you don't want the solder to be your mechanical connection, just your electrical one. Make sure the wires are firmly connected, then solder. Mabye wrap them around? I know nothing about guitars or what a 'pot' is....

Also, you can also use the iron to manipulate the solder once its on there. So if its bulky or ugly looking or something, you can heat it up again and kind of 'push it around' to where you want it to be or until it looks nice.

Whatever you do, don't waste your $$$ on those new Cold Heat guns - they SUCK!

My drummer got one of those and was trying to fix one of our monitors with it. He is rather high strung so, of course, that was the funniest thing I have ever seen.

The cold heat is in pieces now...

Is there a specific size or brand of solder that you prefer or is best for instruments?

Lay the soldier flat on the board. Start with the collar. Iron both sides. If a crease is desired, fold the collar and iron. Then lay the arms parallel along the board. Press the back and front of each sleeve, and make sure to maintain the shirt's creases. Don't forget to iron the opened cuff of each sleeve. Then lie the soldier on his stomach. Iron his back carefully, making sure not to burn the him. Then flip the soldier over and iron his fronts.

Pants are a bit trickier, especially in the crotch area.

Personally I'd just have him take his clothes off and iron them that way.

Whatever you do, don't waste your $$$ on those new Cold Heat guns - they SUCK!

I was wondering about those....I saw the infomercials and thought it would be a pretty cool thing to have. Now I guess I know better! Thanks, Riggo!

Originally posted by BG

Is there a specific size or brand of solder that you prefer or is best for instruments?

I just use stuff from Radio Snack - I think it's 60% tin 40% lead Rosin core solder.

A few more tips:

Try not to breathe in the fumes while you solder - not healthy.

For the ground connections on the bottoms of the pots, melt a good amount of material on the iron, then let it drop onto the pot. Then hold the wires against the the drop and lightly hold the iron against the wire ends until the solder underneath them melts and they sink into the melted solder. Don't hold the iro too long against the pot, though, or you'll melt the inner components and your pot will sound scratchy or the sound will simply die out at various spots as you turn the knob.

Originally posted by redman

code,

which end where you holding when you first posed this question? ;)

:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the info on the cold heat POS. I considered getting one, but am always leary of the TV products like that....:D

Originally posted by BG

Dan Erlwine reccomends 25-45 watts.

I got a 45 watter at Sears for 8 bucks.

I also have a 100 watter and that was my problem. That one is not very easy to use compared to the 45 watter.

Archived