Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's back.

Spaceman Spiff

Now there will be annoying highlights between baseball, basketball and football clips again...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2106776

Sides will have to ratify new CBA

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- The NHL and the players' association reached an agreement in principle on a new labor deal, ending a lockout that wiped out last season, the sides announced in statements Wednesday.

The sides met for 24 hours from Tuesday into Wednesday to hammer out the collective bargaining agreement that will return the NHL to the ice.

Both sides still need to raitfy the deal. That process is expected to be completed next week, the league and the union said in a joint news release.

A prominent player agent told ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek that the draft lottery will be held on July 21, with the entry draft being held in Ottawa on July 30.

"We met all night," NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly said in an e-mail.

It took all night and then some for the final round of negotiations to produce an agreement.

The sides met for 10 straight days in New York, and it became clear Wednesday morning -- the 301st day of the lockout -- that they weren't going to leave the room without an agreement in hand.

The expected salary cap will likely have a ceiling approaching $40 million and a minimum somewhere between $20 million and $25 million.

Player salaries will not exceed 54 percent of league-wide revenues.

Some players in recent days have voiced their displeasure over what will be included in the new deal.

Commissioner Gary Bettman warned in February when he canceled the season that the offers the union passed up were better than any it would see once a year of hockey was lost.

Just days before the NHL became the first North American sports league to wipe out a full season, the players' association said for the first time it would accept a salary cap if the NHL dropped its desire to link player costs to revenues.

Bettman promised ``cost certainty'' in the form of a hard salary cap to the owners and he has gotten it.

The landscape of the NHL will be quite different than it was back in June 2004 when the Tampa Bay Lightning skated off with the Stanley Cup in the league's last game before the lockout.

Now when the league relaunches in the fall, it will do so with a brand new salary structure that keeps high-spending teams such as Toronto, Philadelphia and the New York Rangers in line.

The first order of business after the deal is ratified will be to get a majority of the players signed. The belief is that last season's contracts will be wiped from the books, leaving many players without deals.

Those who are still under contract will have their salaries reduced by 24 percent, a concept first proposed by the union in December.

There will also be several rules changes that could run the gamut from the size of goaltender equipment to the installation of a shootout to eliminate tie games.

A draft will also have to be held soon, replacing the June event that was the last casualty of the lockout.

Canadian phenom Sidney Crosby is the consensus choice to be the No. 1 pick. Where he goes will be determined by a draft lottery that will give each team an opportunity to snag him.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

No. Absurd is ending in a tie.

Why? Both teams played a game to an equal ending. That's where it should end.

A shootout means after 2 teams played an equal game of hockey, they introduce a different game altogether and one team wins.

Why not make it easy and just have teams play a shootout from the beginning.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Why? Both teams played a game to an equal ending. That's where it should end.

A shootout means after 2 teams played an equal game of hockey, they introduce a different game altogether and one team wins.

Why not make it easy and just have teams play a shootout from the beginning.

Would you like it if the Redskins played to a few ties each year?

I can think of maybe two ties over the past 10 or so years that they've been included in.

I'd hate a FG competition, but i'd like the college shootout. Thats fair and fun to watch.

But a hockey shootout doesn't equal a competition. shootouts are way more exciting, I hate hockey but even I like those.

Because it only focuses on a small part of a team.

Kickoff coverage, and return teams are not used, nor are punt teams.

The XFL was real football as well. Doesnt mean it was good.

If two teams in ANY sport play the allotted time to a tie, let it be a tie.

Exception made only for the playoffs. Which brings up the next point, wil they use it in the playoffs as well?

(shudder)

People who respond to this dissing the NHL - why even bother? If you hate it - why read about it?

As for the rule changes - I was hoping that an automatic icing would be included - but it failed to win approval. Ties suck, and the improvement of the ties by awarding the losing team a point in overtime made sense (cause losing in OT and tieing had the same effect).

Will the shootout occur if the OT doesn't determine a winner?

Sorry Kilmer, but I've argued enough with you before to know that we're both stubborn enough neither of us wll budge on this.

I just remember going to a hockey game that ended in a tie and feeling a bit cheated because neither team won. I just have a hard time grasping the concept of playing a game or a sport and having it end in a tie.

Archived