Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should I switch from cable to Direct TV?

Beaudry

I'm buying a house next week, so this would be a good time to look at the change. Currently I have a directTV dish AND digital cable. I only pay for Sunday Ticket on the dish (2 receivers). On a typical Sunday, I have 4 TVs (2 dish games, 2 cable games).

I have a lifetime subscription to a tivo, but not the direct tv kind.

I have a 65" high-def ready TV and regular 32", 27", 19", 19" TVs.

I would like to use Direct TV to get some high-def programming. My problem is that I would like to have the receivers in different rooms most of the time. Then I would like to move them into one room for Sunday Ticket. This seems like it would be a lot of work.

Direct TV seems to nickle you to death for everything, too. In the end, do you save any money? Will the picture quality be better? Is there a convenient way to switch boxes to different rooms?

Thnks for any help on this.

it depends on where you live and what offers are out, i just moved closed to my other home and comcast offerd me $100 a month for a year for digital cable and internet, as well as tivo service and all the premium channels and hd, so there is no way direct tv can beat that

Originally posted by jbooma

it depends on where you live and what offers are out, i just moved closed to my other home and comcast offerd me $100 a month for a year for digital cable and internet, as well as tivo service and all the premium channels and hd, so there is no way direct tv can beat that

That is a good deal, but for fans that don't get the Redskins on local channels DT is the best thing ever!!

Originally posted by TXREDSKINS44

I wouldn't think about it twice. Best switch I ever made was to DT from cable!

I love my cable, high speed internet HDTV is awesome, never have outages, and I can put the redskins on 7 different tvs without any issue..all at the same time.

What does DT have over cable, someone please tell. Here in Anne Arundel county I get Redskins, Ravens, and NFL game of week simultaneously on Sunday. If I moved to DT I would get only Baltimore local TV and would have to get NFL ticket.

Originally posted by jbooma

I got you beat, I got all those services for $89 a month. DT couldn't even sniff that.

If the quality of picture is of importance to you, then cable isn't even an option. Cable's "digital" offering means you only get a select set of digital channels. If you have a television that features high resolution the non-digital channels look like $hit in comparison. I helped a friend hook up his new HDTV and the first thing I noticed was how crappy the non-digital channels looked with Brighthouse. I personally could not tolerate that after spending the extra $$ on an HDTV.

How much of a pain would it be to switch the TV's to different rooms every week? I want a TV in the bedroom upstairs, but I would move it on Sunday. I dont' want to drag a coaxial cable down to the basement every sunday, though.

I don't suppose Direct TV is wireless yet?

Originally posted by autographcollector

I love my cable, high speed internet HDTV is awesome, never have outages, and I can put the redskins on 7 different tvs without any issue..all at the same time.

What does DT have over cable, someone please tell. Here in Anne Arundel county I get Redskins, Ravens, and NFL game of week simultaneously on Sunday. If I moved to DT I would get only Baltimore local TV and would have to get NFL ticket.

Well here in Dallas it's DT or you watch the Cowboys. So for me to make the switch to DT was not a hard one! With DT I still get all my local channels.

Originally posted by TheKurp

If the quality of picture is of importance to you, then cable isn't even an option. Cable's "digital" offering means you only get a select set of digital channels. If you have a television that features high resolution the non-digital channels look like $hit in comparison. I helped a friend hook up his new HDTV and the first thing I noticed was how crappy the non-digital channels looked with Brighthouse. I personally could not tolerate that after spending the extra $$ on an HDTV.

I'm actually more concerned with price and usability than picture quality. I would like it all, though. My "digital" cable here doesn't have 1 single high definition program. Nada, no teven the local networks have any high def here.

I have DT with local channels and get all the channels I need and love it. The only draw back to DT is that you need a separate box for each TV if you don't want all your TV's displaying the same channel.

Concerning nickle and dime to death that is just a true with cable as it is with Directv.

Jbooma said it best. Just check out the deals in your area. I will add that you can call Directv and tell them what cable is offering and sometimes they will offer a competitive deal. You can only do this over the phone and the cable companies, that I have seen, won't do this.

Originally posted by TheKurp

Kurp is correct.....BUTT...

The local so called "digital" cable channels look like crap on my 52" HDTV tv. This is because it is not a true digital signal but an analog signal converted to digital which means less clarity. It looks awesome on a 32" tv or smaller, but when you blow it up its grainy.

However, all the local channels come in HDTV and that picture is OUTSTANDING, all the movie channels come in HDTV, ESPN, and such are in HDTV. So 95% of the stuff I watch is high clarity.

CNN, FoxNews, TLC, stuff like that still comes in analog "digital" but all that stuff is coming to HDTV as well. I suspect in another year all the channels I would consider watching will come through in high def/high resolution.

Some of the other cable channels that dont come in high def are truly digital and look great.

They both have advantages. The reason Cable has analog signal on lower channells is becasue the FCC will not let them go all digital. Reason being you have to have channells available for those who don't wish to use a box. This will change in the near future Cable companys don't do this to be cheap it is actually cheaper to broadcast all digital the bandwith is so much greater. The quality of service is better with a cable company depending on where you live.

I have Dish Network, and it blows cable away. Plus, I have one box that services both my living room and bedroom. It is a dual tuner box so you can watch whatever you want on either Tv. Plus it's a digital recorder which can be used in both rooms. The picture quality is way better than cable. I bought a Sony Wega TV when I had cable, and the picture was worse than on my 11 year old Trinitron. But with Satellite, the picture is awesome. I'll never go back to cable. I also have a box on my upstairs TV. All in all, it ended up being the same price as cable with more benefits and channels.

Archived