Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about DirecTV

GoSkins420

I have been thinking about subscribing to DirecTV and getting the football package for awhile now and am very close to doing it. However, before I do, I just wanted to get your guys opinion on it. Do you get ALL the Skins games? Is it worth the money? Do you ever lose reception? Thanks in advance.

:dallasuck

The only time you'll have reception problems is during heavy downpours, and as soon as the storm passes, you'll be up and running. Thats about it.

Its hard to beat NFL Sunday Ticket if you don't mind the pricetag. For a die-hard NFL fan, its well worth it.

I've had DirectTV and SUnday Ticket since 2002 and I love it. I've only lost reception twice in that time. If you're going that far, get a DVR and Tivo also! :) It's great to start watching a game about 30 minutes late and zapping through all the commercials.

Obviously, as a Skins fan, it is worth the money they charge so you can see the games (especially for those of us who are geo-challenged). But what's even better is the other games you get to choose from when the Skins are not playing. There's nothing worse than Fox/CBS carrying a nationally televised game with a score of 27-10 in the 3rd quarter...meanwhile another game is a close contest but they can't switch to it.

...and if you play fantasy football it is even better...when you have Priest Holmes as your RB and the Chiefs are driving down the field...flip right over and tune in for the score.

Love it. I've never lost reception during a football game...but like Tarhog said, once the storm passes you are good. I think during one storm I lost reception for about 30 minutes. That was the longest ever....

This is my 8th year of Direct TV. I have the tivo and DVR.

I love it all.

I do lose reception......when it rains. Sometimes it takes awhile to come back on. However, the tv that is connected to TIVO is less likely to lose reception than the one with out it.

It is worth every penny.

Blondie

Originally posted by GoSkins420

I have been thinking about subscribing to DirecTV and getting the football package for awhile now and am very close to doing it. However, before I do, I just wanted to get your guys opinion on it. Do you get ALL the Skins games? Is it worth the money? Do you ever lose reception? Thanks in advance.

:dallasuck

Yes. You'll get *EVERY* regular season Skins game. No tape delay or re-run. Its worth every penny imo. I live in Lions country, and if not for Directv? I'd have a choice of watching the Lions, or watching paint dry! I know my answer however. How many coats would that be?:laugh: And yes:dallasuck

Be careful with what receiver you get, as different companies make receivers. I have this one by Philips that acts up every so often, probably every 3 or 4 days...it'll just shut off and restart, I dunno what its deal is...best bet, go with Sony's. we have those upstairs and don't have a problem

Guest sith lord

It's well worth it. And if you don't mind spending a little bit more, get the HD package. NFL games in HD is unbelievable.

Word of warning - if anyone does decide to go with or upgrade to the HD version of Directv - don't buy anything until they come out and check satellite availability at your location. I'd had Directv for years like Blondie, and decided to go to the HD version. Only problem? Instead of having to acquire just one satellite line of sight, in order to get Directv HD, you have to be able to acquire 3 separate ones. There are a lot of folks who won't be able to.

Of course, only the installer informed me of this, and I'd already purchased all of the equipment and reciever.

I've been told by their customer service department that sometime this Summer, directv is going with MPEG-4 technology with new satellites, and that it'll make the service available to many more customers, but that remains to be seen.

Just fair warning not to get your hopes up too high if you're looking to Directv for HD service.

I made the switch to DirecTV about a month ago. Solely for the purpose of getting Redskins games and NFL Sunday Ticket. Up until now, I'd been living in Massachusetts in a condo where I couldn't get it -- what's up with that, by the way -- so this is like heaven and freedom for me. Four years of seedy sports bars in southern Worcester. :paranoid: Man, to watch the Skins from the comforts of my own home is going to be marvelous. Hell, its like getting six for the price of two for gametime brews! And grilling my own franks and burgers? I mean, I'm SAVING money with DirecTV.

:point2sky

I know it's only been a month, but I have had zero problems. In fact, I used to have fuzzy reception problems with my Charter cable. Now, voila! Wunderbar!

And by the way, I am a HUGE proponent of TiVo. I got the Phillips DVR. There's nothing like being able to tape shows you're gonna miss, or pause live TV if something comes up during the game, or set your favorite shows to record for future viewing.

Well the responses are overwelmingly in favor of it and I agree.

However someone stated that you dont get the pre-season games. While somewhat true, NFL Network will have all of the preseason games on over the course of the month although not necessarily Live. But still at least you will be able to see them.

Have had it for years, never have any problems. Lost reception only a few times for very short periods of time (Extreme Rain), Although when I had it installed in my new place the guy told me I had the best sight lines he had ever seen. Sweet.

Like TheDane states, it actually saves you money in the long run. If you add up 20-50 bucks a week for 12 weeks or so the math becomes obvious.

I've had it since 97. It was $129 back then a real bargin IMO. A bit pricer now but still well worth it if you're a diehard fan. My only beef with it is the local affilitate can dictate if you get the game on DTv or the local affilitate. And here in Jacksonville, since the Jags games are almost always blacked out , the local affiliate(s) choose the Skins game to broadcast. The picture quality is much better on DTV than the local turd here.

I never lost a signal last year even in all those hurricanes. You'll lose it occasioanlly primarilly from southern approaching storms.

The Ticket is the best thing since the six pack! I rarely lose reception, but when I do, it comes back on by itself so you don't have to call the cable company and wait for them to do something. One time I lost reception during a snow storm so I had to brush the snow off my dish and all was fine. So, I would make sure to install the dish somewhere you can reach it with a ladder without climbing to the top of your house (if you live in an area that gets snow anyway).

Good luck!

Hail,

H

Archived