Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RV camping at Fed Ex

Admiral Crunch

20 hours ago, zoony said:

I wish nfl stadiums had this option.  Would really be awesome

Especially in places with multiple stadiums. Philly has everything together. Not the best camping spot, but in an area like Redskins stadium, especially with their bizarre moat idea for the new one, it would be an incredible weekend. 

Friday night just camping. Baseball or soccer day game saturday. Maybe a minor league sports or college team Saturday night, then the Sunday game. Maybe a concert in there. 

Be such a memorable weekend.

33 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

There are very good reasons why you can't leave a large RV type vehicle at a stadium in the Washington DC area.

Oh definitely. I just think it would be a cool thing to allow people to do, but at the same time I can see why they wouldn't allow that. Probably mostly for security reasons I guess 

14 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Oh definitely. I just think it would be a cool thing to allow people to do, but at the same time I can see why they wouldn't allow that. Probably mostly for security reasons I guess 

There was a time (1999-2005) where FedEx Field parking lot was run by a good core group of employees.

We would get on the lot before they opened the gates (I am talking 6 am for a Thursday night game!), because we we treated the parking lot staff like family. Some may remember this time frame, it's when they still wore those gray Jack Kent Cooke Stadium jackets.

We would invite all of them over to the tailgate for food and drinks. They would hang out with us.  They were super cool and I bet back then, you could have spent the night in an RV.  It might have cost you a 6 pack though!

Also, to the OP, you may technically be able to spend the night on the cash lot before the stadium. 

19 hours ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

There was a time (1999-2005) where FedEx Field parking lot was run by a good core group of employees.

We would get on the lot before they opened the gates (I am talking 6 am for a Thursday night game!), because we we treated the parking lot staff like family. Some may remember this time frame, it's when they still wore those gray Jack Kent Cooke Stadium jackets.

We would invite all of them over to the tailgate for food and drinks. They would hang out with us.  They were super cool and I bet back then, you could have spent the night in an RV.  It might have cost you a 6 pack though!

Also, to the OP, you may technically be able to spend the night on the cash lot before the stadium. 

Quoted for truth.

The parking lot staff devolved, (and it's really starting to improve, at least in the RedZone), to a low point where they slogged through a bad stretch, because the Skins were getting what they paid for.  One of the problems is that it's tough to find decent part-time, seasonal workers.   A few years ago, my goddaughter was interviewing, and hiring, event staff at FedEx.  The stories she could tell.  It was tough to even get enough people to show up, for these low-paying jobs.  They, literally, handed out bonuses if something like 75% of the workers showed up on game-day, (I'm pulling that # out of my ass, I know that they handed out bonuses, but not the actual percentage that was needed for it to kick in), but you get the point.

The situation has improved, dramatically.  I don't know if it's just a RedZone thing, or not. It's getting like family again. We've had the same people, the past couple of years.  We know everyone's name, and they know ours.   We hang out, shoot the ****, laugh and enjoy each others company.  We make sure that they're taken care of.  No staff goes hungry, or thirsty, on our watch. We take care of them, and they take care of us. 

And to keep it OT, no ****ing way would I camp in that area without an armed guard.

A few years back, at FedEx Field, where we tailgate in F-51 the stadium stopped doing any kind of upkeep on the hill behind us.

So, on the first preseason game, we certainly came correct with lawn equipment and tools. Lawnmower. Weed whacker. A "Headge Hog" which destroys heavy brush, tree cutting tools, a chainsaw. We restored that hill to 2001 status!

But......

With all the work we did, we uncovered a thriving homeless camp/setup.  It looked like a darkrathi tent city from GOT.

Somehow they had power sources being brought in with orange extension cords (probably Jericho church), grills. To no surprise to any of us, they had a few Redskins canopies, Redskins folding chairs and a line of grills.

The police who came to actually yell at us and tell us to cease the yardwork, went over there and busted it up like it was a 1930s bootlegger operation.

Those are the people I would be worried about if I spent the night at FedEx

On 6/17/2017 at 7:50 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

The situation has improved, dramatically.  I don't know if it's just a RedZone thing, or not. It's getting like family again. We've had the same people, the past couple of years.  We know everyone's name, and they know ours.   We hang out, shoot the ****, laugh and enjoy each others company.  We make sure that they're taken care of.  No staff goes hungry, or thirsty, on our watch. We take care of them, and they take care of us. 

Yeah, I can remember everyone's name as long as my CRS doesn't kick in ... (now if I could just remember who this poster is  :ols:)

While I missed most of 2015, I only missed one last season and can agree completely with regard to RedZone.  It was like that prior seasons in Orange H-3, making sure the staff got a bite to eat and something to drink (especially on those extremely hot days); I definitely remember walking things to them.

And I think this sense of family has trickled into the stadium: I developed a great rapport with the two ushers in my section and hope they get assigned to us again.

And getting back (sort of) to the OT ... an idea of a camp out the night before the Giants finale was being floating around for RZ as the weather was going to be pleasant and would be a great way to ring in the new year.  I'm sure there are many logistics to be worked out, especially for early season games (those damn bees) but it would be kind of fun to do.  I'm sure it would come with a price but if it's in conjunction with donating a portion of the proceeds to a charitable cause, that could be a blast.

my 0.02

Archived