Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RE-SIGN LB WILL COMPTON

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

April 24, 2017

REDSKINS RE-SIGN LB WILL COMPTON

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed restricted free agent linebacker Will Compton. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Compton (6-1, 238) has appeared in 48 career regular season games with 30 starts since joining the Redskins as a college free agent in 2013. He has compiled 249 career tackles (146 solo), two interceptions, one sack, one forced fumble and three fumble recoveries.

Last season, Compton started all 15 games in which he appeared, recording career highs in tackles (104, including 60 solo), passes defensed (five), fumbles recovered (two), fumbles forced (one) and matching his career high in interceptions (one). He was elected as the team’s defensive captain prior to the season.

Compton, 27, played collegiately at Nebraska after attending North County H.S. in Bonne Terre, Mo.

I remember Will Compton being very good and I remember him being really terrible. I think a lot of it has to do with scheme (and the ability of D linemen to absorb blockers). Will is the kind of player who because of limited athleticism and speed uses preparation, study, and anticipation to make plays. That can lead him to being on or getting burned depending on if he guesses right or wrong.

I think the big problem last year is they schemed him to play as a sideline to sideline linebacker when everyone knew he didn't have the speed to cover that much ground. He was set up to fail. You have to know your chess pieces. Don't expect your knight to move like a queen.

Archived