Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Syria chemical attack victims gassed as they slept

visionary

42 minutes ago, visionary said:

Granted, I'm massively ignorant about the Mideast.  (And lots of other things, too.)  

But I'm skeptical that Israel would do such a thing.  I fail to see any motive for them to get involved in any way with the mess in Syria.  Let alone in such an overt way, easily traced back to them, and against civilian targets.  

I've got a really low opinion of Israel, but I don't think they're stupid.  

46 minutes ago, visionary said:

What's international law say about chemical weapons?  Against civilians?  

6 hours ago, Larry said:

Granted, I'm massively ignorant about the Mideast.  (And lots of other things, too.)  

But I'm skeptical that Israel would do such a thing.  I fail to see any motive for them to get involved in any way with the mess in Syria.  Let alone in such an overt way, easily traced back to them, and against civilian targets.  

I've got a really low opinion of Israel, but I don't think they're stupid.  

Israel has been bombing Syria for years now.  They mainly go after Hezbollah leaders and weapons transfers, but also sometimes target government military facilities and troops.  Usually just targeted strikes every now and then.

"We saw several members of the opposition delegation stand up furiously condemning what was going on," Al Jazeera's Jamal Elshayyal, reporting from Astana, said.

"They shouted that Iran should not be a signatory to this. In fact, they went as far to saying that Iran is a criminal entity that shouldn't be here and they stormed out."

Elshayyal said that neither the Syrian government, nor the opposition - which on Wednesday suspended its participation in the talks protesting against ongoing air raids - had signed the agreement.

"It is very clear that this is regional powers who have decided that they are going to bulldoze their way forward, and decide what's best for Syria," he said.

Elshayyal said the deal, which is likely to come into effect in around a month, would allow for "unhindered humanitarian access" to the de-escalation areas.

Yet, there was no detail on whether the zones involved restricted use of heavy weaponry or complete de-militirisation; or whether there will be a peacekeeping force and how the deal will be policed.

Elshayyal said the locations of the "de-escalation zones" are likely to be: Idlib, and the Turkmen mountains, parts of Homs governorate, and areas on the outskirts of Damascus - including Ghouta - and in Deraa in the south.

Archived