Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Davis is a Bone Crusher (WP)

Majormajor00

I couldn't find this anywhere so sorry if its been posted. I just thought there was some funny tidbits on Fred Davis in the WP DC. Blog.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/

Fred Davis Is Bone Crusher

Highlights from USC tight end Fred Davis's media availability....

* Nicknames? Yeah, the man has nicknames. Mom Margo Davis says he was once known as "Bone Crusher," because he he broke a kid's arm in youth football.

"We used to take him to practice and they didn't want to play, it was like, 'Oh no, here comes Fred,' " Margo said. "When the kids would see him they'd run in the opposite direction."

* In high school, he was known as "Freddy Franchise," according to his brother, because he played so many different positions.

* Davis's take on these nicknames? "They over there making stuff up," he said of his brother and mother. Although he did admit to liking "Fast Freddy" as a nickname. Also, he said he used to call himself "The Problem Solver," in homage to Iverson's "The Answer." What problems has he solved? "SC's passing game," joked his older brother, Kedran Barnhill.

* His introductory remarks? "I was really excited to be a part of the burgundy and gold," he said, as Jim Zorn pumped his fist.

"I taught him!" Zorn exclaimed as the room broke into applause. "I was a little nervous because of those SC colors."

* His youth football team? "The Redskins." "I guess it was destiny to be a Redskin," he said. "Can you imagine the destiny?" he mom added. "Who would have known."

* His girlfriend? Jean F. Kuei, an employment attorney for Reed Smith LLP and a graduate of Georgetown Law.

Youth football team = Redskins....destiny huh?

* His introductory remarks? "I was really excited to be a part of the burgundy and gold," he said, as Jim Zorn pumped his fist.

"I taught him!" Zorn exclaimed as the room broke into applause. "I was a little nervous because of those SC colors."

Well, if Jim doesn't work as a head coach, he can try the comedy circut. Gotta like a guy who can laugh at himself.

* His youth football team? "The Redskins." "I guess it was destiny to be a Redskin," he said. "Can you imagine the destiny?" he mom added. "Who would have known."

Destiny = Superbowl...let's hope anyway.

I like this kid...He should be a great compliment to Cooley. HTTR!

Difference is that Utah state doesn't put out a lot of first rounders. Davis had a first round grade, but teams apparently worry about his drive and work ethic.

I was being somewhat sarcastic, but my point it is just because some people from USC before him haven't done well doesn't mean he won't. Cason Palmer has done really well, Leinart, not so much...each individual is different.

I was being somewhat sarcastic, but my point it is just because some people from USC before him haven't done well doesn't mean he won't. Cason Palmer has done really well, Leinart, not so much...each individual is different.

My whole point is that some of these guys don't seem to have that fire. They seem like they get in the pros, get paid, and just cruise from there on out. I'm hoping that Davis isn't one of those guys. I hope he has that drive. I hope he's not a Lendale White or a Mike Williams.

Well, a lot of those high priced first rounders get so much money, they forget they are suppose to work afterwards... they just take the money and run.

Second rounders on down, don't get so much of that distracting dough and still have to work hard to make the big $$$ and bonus guarntees

I worry about his production. Offensive USC players haven't exactly made a lot of impact in the NFL lately. Hopefully Davis is hungry.

This is the "this hat is blue so all hats are blue argument" from what I read this guy wasn't expected to do anything at USC but came away with all kinds of records to his name . I just don;t think you can write a player off until you see him on the field ...

I worry about his production. Offensive USC players haven't exactly made a lot of impact in the NFL lately. Hopefully Davis is hungry.

Davis is the ginger haired step child to Cooley's golden child. He's gonna have to really standout to get any sustained attention, from fans/media/JC. If he comes through he's going to be a real stud. If not no biggie as we now have multiple threats, in theory.

I'm thinking a new system which incorporates 2 TEs, little pressure (due being in a learning role behind a Pro-Bowl player) and a little time is all he will need. Classic long term pick we will be glad we have in parts next season but won't realise the full impact until we look back from the future.

We complained about the win now moves we made in the past. This pick is the classic example of what the advocates of long term BPA drafting were talking about. It may be an arguable pick now. 5 years from now I think we'll be happy with Fred Davis, TE, Washington Redskins.

Archived