Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ok....the season is over....let's breal bread

fansince62

all....we've had some heated debates on this board. we've all been disappointed by "this, that or the other." well, "it's over" as M&M puts it, and we can move on.

This was a year we had to endure. We learned where our weaknesses are under the new systems. We found out who could play. WE FOUND A QB. And our HBC learned through experience.

Stability dring the off-season and into next year is going to pay huge dividends. I think we have a lot to be optimistic about. In fact...I think next year is going toi be great. There are some concerns (in order of priority):

1) finding a pass-rushing DE.

2) finiding 2 good guards - watson/betts are servicable but not pro-bowl quality. they are not going to win any games by themselves. good guards will compensate.

3) adding depth at DT

4) finding a speedburner at wr.

5) finding a safety.

it appears that core "fix it" areas are on both lines. we take care of business year and we can do well with the personnel ALREADY ONBOARD.

one person's thoughts and hopes!!!

kudos to all board members....it has been a lively and fun season. now...time to gear up for next season!!!!!!!!!!

The needs are exactly right. The question is priority.

The nice thing about our needs though is the following. Along the lines we need young bodies. At safety, WR we need veteran talent. Now we could go youth at all positions but we only have one draft. If we go veteran at safety and WR we can concentrate on the lines in the draft. Our needs compliment each other this year which gives me hope that we can actually address all of them in this offseason.

I wish we could put WR higher on the list but I think you have it right.

-DB

I don't consider the need to find two guards necessary. We have two guards who are injured in Jones and Stai right now. I'd like to shed Stai and sign Johnson and I'd like to add one guard from outside the organization but beyond that we don't need another body as there really isn't room.

The offensive line was pretty strong for this team at times. It was pretty weak at times. We were playing short handed and with guys we had designated as backups. Those guys now have starting experience and suddenly create the foundation for a deep line when they slide back into a reserve position.

I'd like another guy like Mo Collins but beyond that, if we resign Tre, I'll be very happy. My priority though is defensive line. We need a couple of younger, fresher bodies both at tackle and end. That will probably have to keep until the draft while we find the other positions of need in free agency is my guess.

Art, while I think you are mostly right, the time has come to add some quality youth at guard. Maybe we trade down in two to get him but I think we need at least a second rounder to come in here, get chemistry with samuels and jansen, and then stay for a LONG time. This offseason is the time to do it.

Hmmm. Maybe a center in 3 would accomplish the same thing though. Centers go later than even guards right?

-DB

1) finding a pass-rushing DE.

If we are picking 13th then it looks to me that the DE we can pick is similar to L Jackson

2) finiding 2 good guards - watson/betts are servicable but not pro-bowl quality. they are not going to win any games by themselves. good guards will compensate.

Tre J plans on being in the area during the offseason working out with Ken Harvey and a former skins/chief MLB whose name escapes me as well as receive conditioning from a female olympic 100 meter babe and if he succeeds he should

3) adding depth at DT

Steve Martin maybe?

4) finding a speedburner at wr.

C Russell returns but I can see us drafting atleast one guy

but if we are to believe S Double on resigning D Thompson

Our current WRs are Gardner,D Mac, D Thompson, Skaggs and C Russell

The WP mentioned in an article that the Redskins are going after two new WRs and two new OGs in the off season. Your scenario sounds pretty good although finding a quality DT to replace Big Daddy deserves greater emphasis than finding Bruce's replacement because in all likely hood Big Daddy is gone and Bruce is staying. I know Bruce is almost 100 years old but you can't have everything.

what happened this season is the Redskins got very lucky in being able to bring in Daryl Gardener and Tre Johnson to near minimum deals and get better than expected performances out of BOTH :)

it appears that Johnson was playing on one leg for most of the time he was here, he was still not 100% back after suffering a leg injury in Cleveland over the summer.

An offseason of rehab and work and Johnson could be a guy that comes through for us in 2003.

As with Gardener the key will be ensuring that the contract has escalators for performance and doesn't tie the team up with a large bonus if these guys get hurt again.

I know some are discounting Rod Jones, but I really believe if he comes in with the same level of fitness and dedication he did with the Rams in 2001 he can also be a good player for us.

Jones came into camp 25 pounds overweight and didn't show the same quickness he exhibited the year before.

But at 28, you can't discount a guy that's 6'4 and 325 and that is coming back from a biceps injury. He should be able to regain the strength in his shoulder with a full offseason as his injury occurred very early in the year :)

We still need to add depth and should draft some interior linemen in the middle rounds, but I think the DL and WR are probably going to get the bulk of the attention in the first couple of rounds.

Safety I see as being a position the team addresses in free agency.

The Redskins were singularly unsuccessful in landing ANY of the veteran safeties that were available in 2002, it was as if there was a conspiracy against the team.

One candidate, Corey Harris, actually chose to go to the 1-15 Lions for about the same money the Skins were offering.

No one has explained that one to me yet :)

I agree with needing to solidify the lines and getting a safety in there. I think we can address most of this through free agency and the draft. A reciever would be an asset, but over the last couple of weeks, I've liked what Gardner, Thompson, and McCants have been able to do. They did drop some balls yesterday, but I think overall they have shown improvement. I wonder how much of that has to do with Ramsey being able to get them the ball (probably alot).

Let's not forget one of our biggest areas of concern though: PUNTER

This one shouldn't be too hard to fix, heck I would probably be an improvement. But overall I think our special teams needs alot of fresh blood. They just plain stunk most of the year.

I don't think our "D" line needs much attention. Sure if there is a quality DT or DE available when we pick in the first we should take him. Powell and Cowsette looked good and we should get Santana Dotson back. Those three rotating with Gardener means we really only need one prospect at DT. If Smith and Jackson rotate at RE and Wynn plays LE we really only need one prospect to rotate to keep Wynn fresh. One of these two should be a draft pick the other a FA pick up.

I want us to address our "O" line. I believe Tre is going to be the key to the line and we won't know about his rehab untill after we draft so we better assume he won't start. So we need two guards in the draft. I would be very happy if our first 4 picks went to the lines, but I get the feeling the last 4 picks will go to the lines.

:doh:

Archived