Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT : Williams Staying Put !

Sknzfan

POSTED 2:06 p.m. EST, December 31, 2005

SNYDER COMMITTED TO KEEPING WILLIAMS

Although league rules don't allow Redskins owner Dan Snyder to block defensive coordinator Gregg Williams from taking a head coaching job with another team after the 2005 season, we're told that Snyder plans to match any financial package that might be offered to Williams.

Williams, at more than a million bucks per year, already earns more as a defensive coordinator than some head coaches. If, in the end, Williams accepts a hefty raise to stay put, he could end up being the highest-paid non-head coach in any sport, ever.

It's one of the spoils of having $300 million in total revenue and no salary cap for coaches and staff. And it'll likely anger other owners who already resent the efforts of Snyder and Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga to blow out the curve for assistant coach compensation.

But Snyder's ultimate motivation, we hear, is to have Williams in place to succeed coach Joe Gibbs when he retires. And Snyder legitimately can avoid the requirements of the Rooney Rule by striking a deal to make Williams the head coach after Gibbs leaves.

Williams previously coached the Bills for three years, and his contract was not renewed. Some league insiders believe that he's ready to have the kind of success in his second chance at a head coaching job that Bill Belichick enjoyed in New England after a failed stint with the old Browns.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

Good news if it is accurate.

I would really like to see Williams get that chance to succeed HERE when Gibbs calls it quits. I really like his no BS personality in interviews and the man is getting it done on the field.

Not much of a Surprise....he KNOW'S and GIBBS Knows HOW Valuable he is......

He Could Parlay this into a Bigger Payday though...say in the 2.5 Mil. Range...

We'll see......

He WILL be our Next Head Coach...after GIBBS bumps himself up to GM ....Two or Three SB WINS from Now !!!!! :)

Thank God for Snyder.

That's right I said it.

Ain't nothin' wrong with it.

Snyder has been demonized for far too long. I disagreed with his initial firings of employees but he's gone through some things that seem to have changed his approach with people. I don't believe the nonsense that he's behind this thing with Lavar and I don't believe he his #1 priority isn't winning.

He can't win with some people, even after getting Gibbs back.

This is, indeed, excellent news. We'll keep the same schemes in place and get some continuity for the defense. The apocalypse could be upon us as -- gulp, I can't believe I'm saying this -- Mr. Snyder is actually doing something that WON'T hurt the team. Kudos to him!

Hooray Mr.Snyder!!!!

He had alot to learn when he started and made some bad mistakes. He admitted them and seems to have learned from them.

The reason the other owners will hate him is the most important thing to him is not making money, but winning. I'm not saying he doesen't like to raise the revenue, but you have to admit he puts it back in the team. So I don't have a problem with it.

Money was never going to be an issue. The only issue is whether Williams wants to be a head coach, now or wait a couple of years.

Staying here would seem to be the better option. He has the chance to help shape the team the way he wants it for when he takes over and he makes as much money as he would as a head coach.

Great news.

We've known all along that Snyder was a fan who had his dream.. of owning "HIS" team....

He made mistakes because he wanted to win. While some of the mistakes were awful, can't doubt is motive.

But now he's gotten Gibbs back, and if he pulls this off (keeping GW)... then he will have make an 180 degree turnaround.

HTTR

Archived