Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sept. 16: Joe Gibbs

Die Hard

Originally posted by Griff

Coach Gibbs,

My question is about QB Jason Campbell, I heard Joe Bugel say that on your draft board last year you had Ben Rothlesburger rated as the #1 QB. Did you also have Jason Campbell this year rated as high as you had Ben last year?

Originally posted by riggins44

Coach Gibbs,

At the end of last season, many of the so called experts and talking heads, were saying

that the game had passed you by. They also said you wouldn’t last the 5 years on your

contract. Now, in the Bible it says God doesn’t put anymore on an individual than they

can stand.

At any point during last year did you feel you made a mistake or regret coming back

to the NFL ? Or did you say, “Lord this is enough”!?

Originally posted by zoony

Thank you for taking the time for questions

To JG

1. Love you man. :) Thanks for coming back. I'm curious who you would list as your biggest influences when it comes to coaching.

Thanks

Originally posted by sweet daddy

Coach:

You have had reluctance to develop the shotgun formation in the past. I guess many coaches feel that it is to difficult a formation to run from and increased chances of dropping the snap. What has been you philosophy on this subject in terms of the advantages and drawbacks?

Mods: Coach may have answered this question many times. I have just never heard it or read it. Feel free to delete.

Originally posted by Voice of Reason

Coach Gibbs,

Brunell appeared to have much greater zip on his throws against Carolina than he did at any point last season. Was he still recovering from the elbow injury last season? Is he fully healed this season? And is there any possibility that he might start the season opener?

Originally posted by SkinsNatsFan

Coach Gibbs, thank you for taking this time with us.

Does the time the first team offense gets to work together in practice increase as the pre-season continues, or is it just the week before the regular season opener that there is a major shift in practice and the first team then works together full time?

Originally posted by bnacpa

Gibbs:

Coach Gibbs, What types of techniques or philosophies do you use to increase a QB's confidence when you see they have the physical tools to get the job done?

Also, since it is your job to manage the team into wins vs. losses and that is what you are ultimately evaluated on ... how patient are you with the leadership positions on the team, such as QB when you realize that pulling a QB could rattle their confidence more, but leaving them in could rattle the confidence of the entire team?

Originally posted by MonkeySkin

Question for Joe Gibbs.

When the Redskins win the Superbowl before your coaching contract is up, will you consider your job done and retire? Or will you continue to coach throughout your contract?

Originally posted by Woofer Magoo

For Coach Gibbs:

Do you miss RFK?

I know, that's a toughie.

But seriously, after the first pre-season game this year against the Panthers, I read the following in a sports column by Ryan O'Halloran of the Washington Times:

"An early 14-point deficit forced Gibbs to junk the running game, and Redskins quarterbacks were a combined 29-for-50 for 330 yards and two interceptions. "

In a preseason game, do you really get forced to do anything other than what you planned to do, or do you have a "plan" for working on a part of the game, and stick to that plan no matter what?

Sub-question:

Do you really care about the score or are you just looking at performance?

Originally posted by gstahl

For Joe:

Given the much publicized lack of production last year on offense but at the same time the very high regard for the defense. Do you ever practice first team against first team without regard to the next's opponents tendencies, just trying to see how the units play straight up against each other? It would seem if the offense can show consistent success against Greg and his full set of defensive tricks it should do well against most defensive schemes. Why is this kind of practice good or bad at preparing the team for upcoming games?

Originally posted by roqnap1

To Joe Gibbs, Lord of all things Redskins:

I'm betting that by the time you read this you will be neck deep in a quarterback controversy. Should Ramsey perform poorly, how long will you consider waiting to pull him?/Did Brunell's 9-game fiasco give you a timeline for which you will base this decision?

Gibbs:

Has Coach Musgrave or you been behind Pat's "active feet" in the pocket for shorter pass routes (they seem less active for deep passes?) Or to put it plainly, is Patrick uncomfortable in the pocket or are those steps in the pocket something he's been coached to do?

Coach Gibbs,

Can you elaborate on the fact that only one player from your previous stint in Washington has been elected to the Hall of Fame? (I realize part 2 of this question puts a little pressure on you) Who, in your mind, are the most glaring omissions?

Here's my question for Coach Gibbs:

Coach Gibbs,

I have a very simple question for you. Our team has lost 13 of the last 14 games to the Cowboys (if I'm not mistaken). And understanding how free agency tends to disrupt the loyalty that some players have. Do you feel as if the players feel the same disdain, if you will, that the fans and coaches feel for such a long-standing rival as the Cowboys? I mean, do they take it with the same pain and anguish that we have every time we lose to these guys? I know it always hurts to lose, but losing to the Cowboys is like excruciating pain.

Thanks Coach,

Joe

P.S. I just have to tell you, my dad is always going to be my hero, but if I'm allowed to have a number 2 on my depth chart you're firmly planted as the second guy on my list. Thanks for taking our questions.

To Coach Gibbs:

Of course, as a proud Miami Dolphins fan i am still bitter at you beating us back in 1982. But Coach, you've always been someone i've admired in sports even as someone who's not a fan of the franchise you're so famous for being a coach for.

So, i just want to know. When you have been gone from coaching for so long, and then return. Do you use like the classic methods of developing modern day rookies? Do you help them in ways in which you were taught, or do you adapt to modern ways and try to use that to help players out in their development?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions......

Gibbs-

The titles given to the coaching staff is a unique situation across the league. After Gregg Williams stellar run of the defense last year, many people said he should take another head coach job, but I think he has a head coach job now. It seems as though you and GW run the Offense and Defense as two independant units, would you considering making the titles 'Offensive Head Coach' and 'Defensive Head Coach', or would the NFL restrict those titles?

• 2 weeks later...

Coach Gibbs. Instead of pounding you with the obvious football questions, I am going to a lighter side. As a gift last year, my wife bought me a HOF football signed by you. In this day and age of fraud, could you verify that indeed you have signed footballs for the HOF?

Thanks for coming back Coach, and keep up the good work!

There are some recent moves I think could have gone better. So, I'm wondering, can you tell me the procedure that was taken, and who made the ultimate decision, to (1) take the $9 million cap hit on the Coles trade, when I feel we should have played hard ball with Coles and the Jets, and (2) give up a 2nd round pick on the Champ Bailey trade, when I think it should have been a straight up trade. Thank you.

Archived