Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quick Question

PeanutTillman

OK, im pretty sure there was a cult following of Champ Bailey supporters in Washington before the trade, even though he's overrated. Then he got traded and your opportunity to call him overrated w/o seeming like a bad fan came, and you all say he sucks (better than Smoot and Springs). LaVarr Arrington is vastly overrated, he's got some crazyphysical #'s and stuff like that, but he doesnt produce at all. He looks like a fish outta water on the football field sometimes.

If LaVarr Arrington was on any team other than Washington, would he be overrated?

At least LaVar loves the fans, plus I don't think if LaVar was traded they would say he is the best linebacker in the game, per Bailey. IMO, Lavar is damn good, a playmaker and needs to be on the field. He is not the best, so I wouldn't say he is overrated. Are we talking salary, then yes, he may be overrated salary wise.

Originally posted by PeanutTillman

OK, im pretty sure there was a cult following of Champ Bailey supporters in Washington before the trade, even though he's overrated. Then he got traded and your opportunity to call him overrated w/o seeming like a bad fan came, and you all say he sucks (better than Smoot and Springs). LaVarr Arrington is vastly overrated, he's got some crazyphysical #'s and stuff like that, but he doesnt produce at all. He looks like a fish outta water on the football field sometimes.

If LaVarr Arrington was on any team other than Washington, would he be overrated?

I was glad to see Champ go when he did. I got tired of seeing him get burned by the same receivers ALL the time. Arrington IS overrated, and to be honest, I would rather see him go to free up future cap room if by some impossible chance we're able to do that.

That is a really good question. I believe that Arrington has been stunted in his growth by the constant changes of the defense. He has great physical talent, but does not have great football instincts and so he has needed great coaching, which he has not gotten because of the constant turn-around of the coaches. I believe that the best thing that could have happened to him was having to sit a year out and just watch. He may just be a whole different player next season. In that respect, he is overrated by those who feel he is the greatest LB out there.

Sean Taylor is, BTW, different. He has great football instincts to go with his incredible talent. He will be scary good next season.

There were plenty of people (including me) who pointed out Bailey's deficiencies well before he was traded. I'd been saying it for at least 2 years prior to the trade. Smoot and Springs both played better than he did this year.

I'm not sure how you could say Arrington's overrated when all I ever hear is how he's always out of position, playing reckless and hasn't lived up to his hype. If anything, the negativity toward him (from national media) is overblown. No, he hasn't become the next Lawrence Taylor, but he's a pretty damn good linebacker.

peanut,

What you are talking about is a common misperception on mesage boards. Becasue you don't know the people here all that well, you start to think that we're all the same person, when in fact each of the usernames you see to the left of a post represents a different person. Two different people often have different opinions on a subject.

So how does this apply here? You come to a board before the trade and see everyone gushing over bailey. That's because the bailey supporters are more likely to come on and talk about how great bailey is here while he's doing well here. After he leaves, the people who never liked bailey in the first place just go on an i told you so rampage.

This is especially evident before and after skins games where the board takes on a manic depressive quality. Now, some of us really do go up and down, but the feelings on the board are accentuated because people who use the board primarily to get together with like minded people after a skins win post more after a win, and the people who use the board as an outlet for rage post more after a skins loss.

Try to keep that in mind when you make unfounded sweeping generalizations about boardmembers here. For you this is not the first time.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

peanut,

What you are talking about is a common misperception on mesage boards. Becasue you don't know the people here all that well, you start to think that we're all the same person, when in fact each of the usernames you see to the left of a post represents a different person. Two different people often have different opinions on a subject.

So how does this apply here? You come to a board before the trade and see everyone gushing over bailey. That's because the bailey supporters are more likely to come on and talk about how great bailey is here while he's doing well here. After he leaves, the people who never liked bailey in the first place just go on an i told you so rampage.

This is especially evident before and after skins games where the board takes on a manic depressive quality. Now, some of us really do go up and down, but the feelings on the board are accentuated because people who use the board primarily to get together with like minded people after a skins win post more after a win, and the people who use the board as an outlet for rage post more after a skins loss.

Try to keep that in mind when you make unfounded sweeping generalizations about boardmembers here. For you this is not the first time.

How you like dem apples?

Kinda hard to produce when hes been injured all year, and hes been changing d cordinators every year, being asked to do different things by different coaches, his time will come.

Trent Green got away, I think most skin fans liked him when he was here and have no ill feeling towards him now that hes elsewhere.

Baily made it a point to let all of us know that he did not like playing for the Redskins, so good riddance, I liked him a lot, but when you get the press that your a shut down corner doesn't that mean you don't get burned very often, we all know thats not the case, so I'm glad we did not give him the shut down corners contract and that we also got something in return. I dislike the broncos, baily is a bronco.

It's about the same way it'll be should Urlacher ever leave your Bears. Stop trying to sound like the superior fan, it happens in all fan bases. :rolleyes:

arrington today is a physical freak but overrated by many. he is not the best LB out there, but would be in the top 5 or 10.

maybe the arrington of the future, if he can be taught and mentored by the same defensive coordinator for several seasons, will make him into the player i think he can be and that is a SMART physical freak. right now he's doing too much guessing and relying on his physical talent.

IMHO the lack of continuity in the coaching staff has hurt his development the most.

:2cents:

Lavar is a true Redskins, drafted by us and will stay with us for his entire career.

he has had different Coordinators on defense since he started in this league. Next season will be the first year that he has had the same coach in two consecutive seasons...

I would honestly say that Lavar has yet to reach his full potential but I'd be willing to bet that Williams finds a way to use him to his beast potential:evil:

Lavar will shine under GW system, and if GW stays here for 2 more seasons he will be a force to reckon with. I hear alot of people say Lavar is a true Redskin.. well that goes for Smoot as well and now we have turned our backs to him.. I undertsand that he is asking for too much money but that is the fault of our organization giving out candy on a daily basis...

So who else are we going to trade or get rit off? Smooth, LA.... This has been the problem with this team, a revolving door metality(players and coaches) and you wonder why we have had loosing seasons...

Originally posted by Om

"Overrated" by who?

Against what standard?

Not so much a "quick question" as a meaningless one.

:laugh: So true.

And by ANYONE'S standards, champ bailey IS VASTLY overrated as demonstrated by the multiple times he has given up touchdowns and big plays. So, if "PeanutTillman" is trying to rag on Skins fans for calling him overrated... looks like the Skins fans were completely right.

Lavar isn't at all overrated.

A strongside linebacker capable of 90 tackles, 11 passes defensed, 6 sacks and 6 forced fumbles is in no way overrated. The fact that no one thinks he played that well in spite of fabulous production doesn't mean he's overrated. It means people believe he's got more to his game than he's shown.

What's clear, though, is what he's shown is greater than most players could dream of showing and there's room left to show more.

Bailey made it easy on everyone by getting burned constantly and demanding to be paid, by anyone but the Redskins, top $.

Lavar does everything a fan favorite is supposed to do. Sure, he can be better, but he gets a pass this year because of injury.

I'll take a guy who wants to be here over a guy who doesn't pretty much, well, EVERY TIME.

Mayeb he hasnt live up to the hype but i dont think he is overrated. He is def a good solid linebacker, i would not want him on any other team...someone said it in an earlier post in this thread -- people consider Lavar overrated what about Brian Urlacher people act like he is a godsend, and he is good but he had one good season two years ago, this year he was hurt. As a skins fan i would be more then happy to have lavar here for the reat of his career

I'm wondering how you could've watched the season and still thought that Bailey was better than Smoot and Springs?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by CrazyZeb

I think calling Arrington overrated is the new thing to do. He hasn't even played in a year and yet the sentiment has only grown.

BINGO

It's like the weisenheimers that go around parroting the newest meme, "Braylon Edwards=Rod Gardner" or "Patrick Ramsey is immobile" basing NONE of these oh-so-astute analyses on actual game film or common sense.

I swear, people should really be more original.

Peanut is a new member yet is one of the biggest purveyors of some oddball, inaccurate football analysis on the board. That said, he knows some things too.

That's why he's frustrating.

There are several former Skins who I still respect despite the fact that they've moved on. They include:

Trent Green

Stephen Davis (actually, that went down considerably this year)

Brad Johnson (ditto)

Jeremiah Trotter (I actually didn't like him with the Skins; he's a better fit in Philly)

...among others...

OK, I've a heard a few people allude to Urlacher as overrated. I'm firmly against using statistics because a sack late inteh 4th quarter isnt really that impressive (find a tape of the Bears game and watch it.. 9 sakcs.. poor hutchy). Urlacher isnt overrated, in fact he is underrated b/c people call him overrated.. let me explain

Urlacher has made some plays this year that i think no other LB in football could make. Watch a Bears game guys, i bet 99% of you havent except for hte Bears-Skins game, where i believe he was hurt (kind of like Arrington, so dont play any injury cards on me.. we'll it a kind of truce, injuries are off limits.. yes?). Urlacher has made FREAK plays this year, and has been hurt since week

In the Lions-Bears game him and his soon-to-be probowl counterpart, Lance Briggs both posted double-digit takcle #'s (if youre going to parade around with stats, LB's are defined by tackles.. not sacks). Not only that, the Chicago Bears defense had 9 3 and outs, if you didnt know, the Bears are 2nd int he NFL in that catagory (NOT a meaningless stat.. you know what? I'm gonna make a thread about stats, just because i can.. god Peanut, youre a genious). Urlacher went crazy in that game, he almost made a diving INT that i dont think anybody not named Reed could make. He's posted some pretty big time sacks too. In the Vikings-Bears game he made a goalline INT, then on 3rd and about 8 (me forgets) Urlacher sacks big ol Culpepper for an 8 yard loss. That Vikigns game was the best game by an MLB this year.

OK, just for fun, im gonna rank NFL MLBs using hte Peanut system, a lot of you wont agree with it. But that isnt my problem.

1. Brian Urlacher Bears

2. Donnie Edwards Chargers

3. Jonathan Vilma Jets

4. Antonio Pierce Redskins

5. James Farrior Steelers

Thats jus the top 5, no Ray Lewis, because he's more overrated than this LaChamp Bailington double headed monster of overratedness. Now i'll admit a few things, Olin Kreutz on hte Bear is overrated, but he fits well in Chicago b/c hes a mean sum ma *****, we have an aging G in Ruben Brown.. in fact, in general our OL.. no make that our offense, would be better suited playing 3rd graders than our current crap-heap of "talent".

OLB Rankings

1. Takeo Spikes Bills

2. Marcus Washington Redskins

3. Kieth Bulluck Titans

4. Lance Briggs Bears

5. Joey Porter Steelers

Dont have a ***** fit about taht 1, because all of you KNOW FOR A FACT that Washington is best LB on your team, he's a Rosie Colvin/Akin Ayodele mold who can make tackles, so he's closer to Ayodele, who i have jumping up into the top 5 next year. What a maniac.

Bottom Line: Every Team has an overrated player, Some team are just a 55 man roster of overratedness (Eagles, they thrive off each others overratetivity for some odd reason).

The Redskins and Chicago Bears both have overrated player, ours is Kreutz (who you guys would kill to have) and the Skins is Arrington (who the Bears would kill to have). Its just the way the league works.

Archived