Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC: Left at altar, she gets 150k

Mongo2365

Men (or women) who decide to get on bended knee: Be warned. You could find yourself on both knees, facing a judge instead of a justice of the peace.That’s what happened in Florida this week, when a woman was awarded $150,000 after suing her former fiancé for calling off their wedding.

For RoseMary Shell, the jilted bride-to-be who left a high-paying job in Pensacola to live with her prospective partner in Gainesville, there was a “wow” in lieu of a vow.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25846393/

The link's not working, but if the woman's family paid for the wedding (as is tradition) then I might see a reason for a case like this. If it's just that she's emotionally distraught ... well, that's dumb. People get dumped all the time, and it's better he left her before they got married than afterwards.

Without reading more than two sentences it's hard to know though.

Great. Let's get the govt involved to force someone to bail us out of our stupid decisions now. :doh:

I bought a house I can't afford......= my hand out towards the govt

I got engaged to a scumbag and quit my job.....= my hand out to the govt

F'ing ridiculous.

A vow of marriage is a contract. That's pretty well settled. (It's why the engagement ring is the man's property if the engagement is called off. That's a gift in exchange for the promise to marry.)

In this case, she relied upon that contract detrimentally to the sum of whatever earnings she will now forfeit as a result of him failing to live up to his end of the contract.

Maybe it's overturned, maybe its not. But it's not the ridiculous stretch many of you are making it out to be.

I just don't agree with this at all. The guy says he left her because after spending 30k to help her out of credit card debt there was still more she had. I hope this gets overturned on appeal because it sets a very bad precedent.

A vow of marriage is a contract. That's pretty well settled. (It's why the engagement ring is the man's property if the engagement is called off. That's a gift in exchange for the promise to marry.)

In this case, she relied upon that contract detrimentally to the sum of whatever earnings she will now forfeit as a result of him failing to live up to his end of the contract.

Maybe it's overturned, maybe its not. But it's not the ridiculous stretch many of you are making it out to be.

Well, apparently the ring is not the man's property either... :laugh:

As for her engagement ring, which she displayed to Vieira and TODAY viewers, Shell said she does not know the value — but she will try to sell it.

“It means nothing now,” she said.

Great. Let's get the govt involved to force someone to bail us out of our stupid decisions now. :doh:

I got engaged to a scumbag and quit my job.....= my hand out to the scumbag who screwed me over.

Completely understandable.

:silly:

I got engaged to a scumbag and quit my job.....= my hand out to the scumbag who screwed me over.

Completely understandable.

Umm, the judicial branch is part of the govt. And they are the once compelling this man to fork over $150G to a dumb broad.

:paranoid: No offense to the women of the board.

...and all the single men of the world are now thinking "why should I get married?"

If I get married, and the marriage eventually ends in divorce, she gets half of everything I own...

...if I give her an engagement ring, and then decide to back out before the big day, she gets half of everything I own...

Lose-lose.

Umm, the judicial branch is part of the govt. And they are the once compelling this man to fork over $150G to a dumb broad.

:paranoid: No offense to the women of the board.

Yes, but the distinction between tax-payer money going directly to bail-out irresponsible homeowners...and/or the government holding a scumbag of a man accountable to his word is an important one, IMHO. The woman did nothing wrong; the irresponsible homeowners did.

In one case, the gov't is bailing out (arguably) undeserving people who screwed up; in the other, the gov't is dispensing justice on behalf of someone who was screwed over.

For RoseMary Shell, the jilted bride-to-be who left a high-paying job in Pensacola to live with her prospective partner in Gainesville, there was a “wow” in lieu of a vow.

Useless without pics, address, and phone number.

Larry. Resident of Gainesville. Currently single and unemployed. :)

Edit: Never mind. Saw the pics.

no offense to the woman, but she shouldnt have left her 'high paying job in pensacola' to move in with the guy in gainesville unless she had a job lined up.

its her own fault for throwing away her career.

Don't know. My bro left DC and moved to Portland, OR, because his wife wanted to do public service work out there. Left his job as IT director of a large law firm. Was unemployed for over two years before he was able to get a job that paid him 20% less than the one he left.

Girl dumped him.

The guy says he left her because after spending 30k to help her out of credit card debt there was still more she had.

Well, I married my dream girl,

I married my dream girl,

but she didn't tell me, her credit was bad . . .

Pretty good now that legal precedent has been set. :2cents:

Psh.

Legal precedent has been set with female child-molesting teachers getting home confinement too.

We'll see what happens when a guy bangs his 15-year old female student. :doh:

Yes, but the distinction between tax-payer money going directly to bail-out irresponsible homeowners...and/or the government holding a scumbag of a man accountable to his word is an important one, IMHO. The woman did nothing wrong; the irresponsible homeowners did.
Please explain to me how a man asking her to marry him forced her to quit her job, move across the state, and take a lower paying job? She decided to do so of her own accord. She had been screwed over by this giy once before, hence why they broke up and she moved across the state and took the high paying job and started dating other men. That tells me that she should have had some reservations. Evidence:
It was 2001 when Shell and Gibbs, who were each divorced with grown children, met through mutual friends and began dating.According to Shell, the couple had intended to get married when her youngest son went off to college in 2005. When that didn’t happen, she broke up with Gibbs and moved to Pensacola, where she landed a human resources job that paid $81,000 with benefits. Trying to carry on with her life, she started to date someone new.
So, after all that, she falls for this guy again, drops everything and moves back across the state, and is *SHOCKED* when the dude does the same thing? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
In one case, the gov't is bailing out (arguably) undeserving people who screwed up; in the other, the gov't is dispensing justice on behalf of someone who was screwed over.
...in the other, the gov't is dispensing justice on behalf of someone who was screwed over by screwing over someone else because the person they "screwed over" was dumb enough to fall for the same schtick twice.

Please explain to me how a man asking her to marry him forced her to quit her job, move across the state, and take a lower paying job? She decided to do so of her own accord.

Yes, of her own accord. Verily. But based on a good-faith agreement with the man to whom she was engaged...

She had been screwed over by this giy once before, hence why they broke up and she moved across the state and took the high paying job and started dating other men. That tells me that she should have had some reservations.

Reservations, yes. But in order for the scenario--the second engagement--to have taken place, she'd obviously have had to...y'know... forgive the guy for what had happened before. Seems to me that her innate, human ability to forgive...to believe in and try to see the good in the man...is what was taken advantage of here...

Evidence:So, after all that, she falls for this guy again, drops everything and moves back across the state, and is *SHOCKED* when the dude does the same thing? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me....

No. There are no ammends without forgiveness. She forgave the guy; gave him a clean slate, and he smashed it in her face. Shows a defect in him, not her.

in the other, the gov't is dispensing justice on behalf of someone who was screwed over by screwing over someone else because the person they "screwed over" was dumb enough to fall for the same schtick twice.

Eyeesh...How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? :silly:

Archived