Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Warpath Magazine

fifthorkid88

I believe the warpath is going out of buisness?

Just a rumor I haven't verified.

I'm in journalism school, and they have warned us against taking jobs at magazine/newspapers, as they are all on their way out of business.

I used to want to subsribe to Warpath, and it's not really that expenive, but its still a waste of money. Everything you need is right here on ES.

The last issue was sent out in late August. About 2 weeks ago I received a letter in the mail stating that after 17 years they were folding it up. All of the writers are still going to contribute to the warpath insiders website. Everyone that has a subscription with any issues left will be offered the Sporting News or the option to cancel the subscription.

I'm in journalism school, and they have warned us against taking jobs at magazine/newspapers, as they are all on their way out of business.

I used to want to subsribe to Warpath, and it's not really that expenive, but its still a waste of money. Everything you need is right here on ES.

I was a media studies major. If you look at history, they said that newspapers would disappear when the Radio came along. Then, the radio would leave when the TV came. Now, it's magazines and the paper. Problem is that people want the social aspect and tradition of getting the paper. Some people, even young ones, like sitting on the toilet and reading the paper. So, sure, the newspaper and magazine business will take it's lumps when fighting the internet, but it's going to be around. Plus, who here wants to read a 5 page story on the internet? Not I. I'd much rather see it in print.

I have a B.A. in Journalism and I am currently getting my M.S. in Journalism from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. While papers have taken a hit their profit margins are still high and far great than most businesses. Do you know what the average earnings over cost for grocery stores is? It is 3%. The same average for newspapers is something like 25%. Papers aren't pulling in the 35% or more that they use to but they are far from dead and dying and the same can be said and more for most major magazines. As long as their are people that are confused by the internet/computers, old people, and those that feel like they need something real in their hand for their money papers will be around. :cardsuck:

HTTR

I was a media studies major. If you look at history, they said that newspapers would disappear when the Radio came along. Then, the radio would leave when the TV came. Now, it's magazines and the paper. Problem is that people want the social aspect and tradition of getting the paper. Some people, even young ones, like sitting on the toilet and reading the paper. So, sure, the newspaper and magazine business will take it's lumps when fighting the internet, but it's going to be around. Plus, who here wants to read a 5 page story on the internet? Not I. I'd much rather see it in print.

But the internet is revolutionary. I agree that magazines and newspapers will not be completely phased out, but the internet has but a lot of "niche" papers or smaller market papers out of business.

I don't know about how many papers the internet has put out of business but i think it has also helped a lot of business how many here have visited the Washington Post website to read a Skins article. Website have different advertisers just like newspapers and they get a lot of money from those advertisers on their website just like they get in the paper.

• 3 weeks later...

I called the Sporting News today because I had not received my issues that were to substitute for the loss of the Warpath Newspaper, and the operator said that Warpath is back and that the newest issue came out yesterday and should be mailed out on Wednesday. The lady I spoke to said there were bids to buy the paper (hence the reason they shut it down temporarily) but said the buyout fell through, so.. good news for us Skins fans!!! Warpath is back.

Archived