Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lien Release/Car Title question

Zguy28

I have an older car that I am giving to a friend of mine's daughter for free. Somehow I lost the Lien Release (Pink form in MD) but I have the original title.

Does anybody know what I have to do to get a replacement ASAP?

It was originally financed through Ford Motor Credit. Would they have it?

I'd suspect that FoMoCo sent a copy of the release to DMV. (In fact, I'd bet that they're legally required to do so. It's entirely possible that the DMV isn't allowed to accept the form unless it comes directly from the leinholder.)

It's possible that your car's title, in DMV's computer, already has the lien removed.

It's possible that you may even be able to check this information online. Try your state's web page, see if the DMV has a web page. You may be able to order a lien-less title be mailed to your house.

Or, if you can't do it online, I'd try going to the DMV. Maybe they can print a title for you on the spot.

I know that going to DMV is a pain. But the alternative is trying to contact Ford, trying to talk them into sending you another release, then taking that release to DMV, and asking for a clean title. Seems, to me, like it'd be worth a shot to see if you can eliminate the first two steps.

Be careful, I don't know that you can give it to her for 'free'.. I think she has to give you at least a dollar. Check into it, I'm pretty sure that is how it used to be.

~Bang

I can gift it to her. But unless you are an immediate family member, she has to pay sales tax appropriate for the value.

Be careful, I don't know that you can give it to her for 'free'.. I think she has to give you at least a dollar. Check into it, I'm pretty sure that is how it used to be.

~Bang

Had the same problem when my Grandma gave a car to my Mom.

If it's a gift: Sales tax based on book value.

If she sells it to Mom for a dollar: Sales tax based on a dollar.

:)

Had the same problem when my Grandma gave a car to my Mom.

If it's a gift: Sales tax based on book value.

If she sells it to Mom for a dollar: Sales tax based on a dollar.

:)

I think a nickel is a fine price.

~Bang

If my wife was here i would ask her, she deals with this kind of stuff every day at work.

Got a chance to ask my wife about this for you man... and she said...

"ford would have a duplicate lein release. BUT DMV will take an original "letter of lein release" that ford can type up and mail to him. "

In Texas you can not sell for $1.00.

That law changed 2 years ago I think.

Now it is value.

The sale for $1 loophole seems like a no-brainer...so it's probably been closed as Blondie says. Try making it a more believable # that's still way below the actual value. If they ask either of you about it simply say it's a really old car that needs a bunch of work and the amount she "paid" for it is the actual value given the repairs needed.

Got a chance to ask my wife about this for you man... and she said...

"ford would have a duplicate lein release. BUT DMV will take an original "letter of lein release" that ford can type up and mail to him. "

I just need to give them the VIN I guess and I'm set.

Archived