Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would it take?

youngestson

I have been chewing on this question today.

Say the Skins start to turn things around (yea I know, but spare me for right now). What would have to happen for this loss to fade into the background and for us, as fans to head out of the season with a positive outlook?

Seriously.

For me it would have to be beating Dallas twice.

I have been chewing on this question today.

Say the Skins start to turn things around (yea I know, but spare me for right now). What would have to happen for this loss to fade into the background and for us, as fans to head out of the season with a positive outlook?

Seriously.

For me it would have to be beating Dallas twice.

This would do it for me also...especially blowing their collective hind parts out of the water..some ridiculous score like 86-0! Yeah! That's what I'm talking about!

I'll say a combination of things:

1. Not losing another game this year where we have the lead at halftime.

2. Not giving up another touchdown to an opponent that was the result of a drive being kept alive by a defensive penalty.

3. Blitzing with regularity and (non-helmet-involving) nastiness.

4. Scoring a TD on at least 70% of our trips inside the 20 and 90% of our trips inside the 10.

5. 100+ yards for Portis every game.

6. Timeouts used for clock management, not to avoid delay of game penalties because someone wasn't doing his job.

7. Letting Jason continue to call his own plays.

* Substitute any two of the above for sweeping Dallas.

I purposely didn't say "make the playoffs," because if we can do all of the above for the rest of the year, the playoff situation will take care of itself.

to be perfectly honest with you, my optimism hasnt changed between last week and this week. We still are above .500. To be perfectly honest with you, i'm even more optimistic about what this team is capable of. Jason Campbell looked great, The offensive line is appearing to gel, and Clinton Portis looks like he's getting back to full stride. We put up points and had scoring drives, we controled the clock (for the first 50 min) and we controled the game, offensively and defensively. We got beat by 1 play..... 1 screen pass took this team down.

Now let me tell you that i am concerned about the way this team simply DOES NOT FINISH. Am i pointing the finger at any 1 person? NOPE. Wjhy not? Because... sure, Gibbs called the plays conservatively, but lets take a look at that. Clinton Portis running the football. Clinton Portis had effectively run the football all game long. You cannot fault Gibbs for calling plays that have worked all day long. What bothers me is it seems like this team doesnt have the HEART. I dont know why they dont, i dont understand HOW they dont. But this team seems to be lacking their heart when they need it most, when they need to reach down and get another gear in order to execute plays to kill the clock. I'm not saying the team has no heart, but they are just not capable of finishing a football game, and it is no one person's responsibility.

Archived