Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No presence for McNabb this Xmas...

tr1

Uh-oh...just when you thought everything was golden in bird land, Momma Donovan tells it like it is...Looks like the 'company man' is gonna be a bitter man if the Eagles go much further.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

By Nick Fierro

http://www.nj.com/sports/sunbeam/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1167466520168130.xml&coll=9

History is repeating, and apparently Donovan McNabb is the only person who doesn't recognize it.

Either that, or the man with a Syracuse University degree in speech communications actually prefers silence over words in what has devolved into a public relations quagmire.

Either way, what is happening now is not good for the ailing Eagles quarterback.

Just like last season, when a long and deafening period of silence following surgery to repair a sports hernia was broken by some outrageous comments at the Super Bowl, McNabb appears to be heading down that road again. In the meantime, the disconnect with Eagles fans continues to grow.

With the exception of a brief, impromptu TV appearance earlier this month, McNabb has deliberately remained both invisible and silent in the wake of the knee injury that ended this season for him on Nov. 19.

He's not doing himself any favors with this behavior.

While replacement Jeff Garcia continues to gain favor with fans throughout the region he'd be even money to beat Ed Rendell in a mayoral race right now McNabb continues to grow more conspicuous by his silence.

Sure, McNabb is 100 percent behind Garcia and all that. Everyone knows this already. But just in case there's one person out there who doesn't, Garcia and coach Andy Reid keep reminding us.

What fans don't know is how all this sudden love for Garcia makes McNabb feel, especially in the wake of an unnecessary blog posted by his mother, Wilma, to his website (donovanmcnabb.com) on Wednesday.

Here it is, in its entirety:

"The win this week was great and I could actually say that's what I wanted for Christmas. Yes, now we have solidly beat the Cowboys with my son and without him. But I can hear you asking, mama McNabb what are you really thinking? Well here it is, the real deal. It's kind of bitter sweet for me as my son, the quarterback sits out on injured reserved watching the game during his rehab. I polled my family too and they feel the same. We want our team to win and even go to the Superbowl and win it in Miami especially if they continue to play as they have. But oh oh, if they win the Super Bowl without my son, what would be the real outcome with the fans? Will they crucify him? Maybe, then the trade talks would begin. Off season madness, worse than last year's fiasco. But guess what, I guess I'll have to take the beating if it comes. I would have to hope that scenario of the madness would not happen or be that bad. Well let's wait and see. Bitter sweet."

What mama McNabb and her son need to realize, before getting too caught up in the Garcia frenzy, is that it's never a good idea to take the pulse of the city through talk radio or newspaper columns. The feelings expressed there don't necessarily resemble those of the majority of fans.

But let's say, for argument's sake, that more people than not prefer Garcia remain the starter even after McNabb recovers.

My guess on how McNabb would respond on the field there's no way Reid will keep Garcia as a starter if his franchise QB is physically ready would be to do what he did for most of this season before getting injured. The Eagles had the NFL's No. 1 passing attack and No. 1 overall offense under McNabb.

How he'll respond off the field is anyone's guess, which is the main reason Eagles fans have never fully embraced him. His silence is the only thing that validates all those otherwise ridiculous questions about his future.

That's why we need to hear from Donovan McNabb. We need to hear from him yesterday, not tomorrow.

He might want to think about coming out from behind that shield as well. That would give the tens of thousands of people who wear his jersey every week something more tangible to cling to instead of the nothing they're getting now.

McNabb may think silence is the best thing now. In reality, he's killing himself with a little help from his mother.

Mama McNabb needs to stop worrying about herself and her poor baby. I have always thought the McNabb clan was oversensitive and have rode out the draft day booing for the last 8 years.

Ah, the Eagle faithful...Momma was right! :laugh:

While watching the Eagles game last week, I expected some camera shots of McNabb on the sidelines. I thought it was funny that I never saw him. Was he there?

I understand during injury rehab some players stay home, but the team leader should be with his team showing support.

It looks like Mama should stick to the Chunky Soup!

The Eagles have a team rule that no player on crutches is allowed to be on the sideline during games, that's why you haven't seen him. He's been in his family box each week.

I wish Momma McNabb would have just left well-enough alone, since her little diary entry didn't help ANYONE, least of all her son. The city isn't running with the story as much as I thought they might have, though, so I think this will slide out of conciousness only to be remembered by the lunatic "McNabb is the league's worst QB" Eagle fans.

The Eagles have a team rule that no player on crutches is allowed to be on the sideline during games, that's why you haven't seen him. He's been in his family box each week.

And he was at practice yesterday....

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/16349944.htm

"Notable

Donovan McNabb watched the beginning of practice from the sideline yesterday. His mother wasn't with him."

Bubba loves this cat and mouse game. If the stakes get too high, he'll remind you whose board you are on as if that automatically makes him right in any disagreement.

YOUR SCREEN IS BURGANDY AND GOLD FOR A REASON! STAND DOWN, EAGLES FAN!!! :soapbox:

Wow, doesn't look like that time off improved you outlook...

I wish Momma McNabb would have just left well-enough alone, since her little diary entry didn't help ANYONE, least of all her son. The city isn't running with the story as much as I thought they might have, though, so I think this will slide out of conciousness only to be remembered by the lunatic "McNabb is the league's worst QB" Eagle fans.

That, plus the last 3 weeks have been on the road, so IR players don't travel anyway.

Archived