Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT Op-Ed: How Hip-Hop Music Lost Its Way And Betrayed Its Fans.........

TC4

Originally posted by Clutch03

That is probably the best comment you've made all thread. I totally agree with it. So that brings me to my point ... how is HipHop responsible if both black and white people on occasion act like dumbasses? So everytime somebody does something stupid they must have been listening to a Dre CD moments before?

No, they were listening to an Ozzy, Metallica, or a Judas Priest CD.

:silly:

Originally posted by portisizzle

I can not speak to Ice-T of today. That CD I listened to was from the 1980's.

Was his song about F the Cops because they racially profile and harass innocent blacks? My guess is that would be the point of his rhyme. He has a point.

Who is Nas?

Nas is an artist who has been out since 93 but now some of his music is influence.(Song title "I know I Can") He is trying to save Hip-Hop and he is consider one of the best MCs.

But Gangsta Rappers also believe that they are making a point by telling the youth all the negative things that happen in the inner city so they can SUPPOSEDLY do better. But it doesn't happen that way- do as I say not as I do- mind set.

:laugh: he should be pulled off the list because he has a nickname? :doh:

Well what is Tim Duncans nickname? T-Duck?

How about Michael Jordan? J-Dogg?

Give me a freaking break. J-Lo, P-Diddy, Ja-Rule, shall I go on.

These guys are professionals. Try acting like it.

Nothing like T-Mac talking about T-Mac in the third person.

"Yea, T-Mac was on tonight. He wanted to show the crowd how T-Mac represents the 15 foot jump shot. The fans love T-Mac and T-Mac loves the fans."

I sh!t you not. THis type of talk comes out of that multimillionaires mouth regularly.

So when the kids go to school, they get to emulate that crap. I am sure this helps in getting that prestigious job on Wall Street. No doubt.

Portis,

That's the __ stupidest post on the NBA that I've seen from you.

Air Jordan? Magic?

That really stopped them from becoming something, huh? Who emulates talking about themselves in the third person EXCEPT for athletes? It's not like someone shows up at a job and does that. Only someone as borderline retarded as you would even think that.

As for third person, when he scored 13 points in that 33 second span of time, I don't recall him saying his nickname once.

But you would know better, and since you follow the NBA so regularly because you love it so much, you would know, right?

oops.

"Yea, T-Mac was on tonight. He wanted to show the crowd how T-Mac represents the 15 foot jump shot. The fans love T-Mac and T-Mac loves the fans."

I sh!t you not. THis type of talk comes out of that multimillionaires mouth regularly.

So when the kids go to school, they get to emulate that crap. I am sure this helps in getting that prestigious job on Wall Street. No doubt.

Tim Duncan's nickname is Mr. Fundamentals

Michael Jordan is Air Jordan or Sir Airness (just to name a few)

Need me to include you on anymore nicknames?

So kids who want a job on Wall Street emulate T-Mac? Thats interseting. Thats like saying I want to be an anchorman so I'm emulate Ozzy Osbourne

Have you ever heard of MEAN JOE GREEN, nicknames started before T-MAC and it was AIR Jordan to be exact,

If He talks in third person why is that HIP-HOPs fault, He can't just be stupid?

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Portis,

Air Jordan? Magic?

That really stopped them from becoming something, huh? Who emulates talking about themselves in the third person EXCEPT for athletes? It's not like someone shows up at a job and does that. Only someone as borderline retarded as you would even think that.

As for third person, when he scored 13 points in that 33 second span of time, I don't recall him saying his nickname once.

But you would know better, and since you follow the NBA so regularly because you love it so much, you would know, right?

oops.

DANG you got to it before I did!!!!:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Portis,

Air Jordan? Magic?

oops.....

DOn't know, I think "Air Jordan" was a shoe that Nike made. No?

Magic Johnson......well........ ahhhhh..... ummmmmmm.......

You are missing the point. Adults have names not monikers. At least in the real world, not P-diddy's world.

See, this is what happens when a thread gets derailed.

It should have STRICTLY been about hip hop and debating what influence MUSIC or other cultural elements have on our society or how much they are merely a reflection.

Oh well.

See, this is what happens when a thread gets derailed.

It should have STRICTLY been about hip hop and debating what influence MUSIC or other cultural elements have on our society or how much they are merely a reflection.

Oh well.

I agree ghost ... totally off topic. He still can't explain the connection between HipHop and the NBA. I've pretty much begged him to make the connection in every single one of my posts.

Tim Duncan's nickname is Mr. Fundamentals

WTF???:rotflmao:

What is there a Mr. Magoo in the NBA as well.:laugh: :laugh:

My point stands about the NBA. Have a nice day.

Sorry for derailing a legitimate discussion about hip hop and our culture.

:pimp:

oops.....

DOn't know, I think "Air Jordan" was a shoe that Nike made. No?

Magic Johnson......well........ ahhhhh..... ummmmmmm.......

You are missing the point. Adults have names not monikers. At least in the real world, not P-diddy's world.

These are athletes they are in the public spotlight, they entertain. That is different from Joe Blo working on wall street or in the local Wal-Mart.

Sir Charles

The Glide

Iceman

The Dream

Dr J.

What are they Portis???

Nicknames of retired players that you look up to so much and want to see the game go back too.

Originally posted by dahurt002

Nas is an artist who has been out since 93 but now some of his music is influence.(Song title "I know I Can") He is trying to save Hip-Hop and he is consider one of the best MCs.

But Gangsta Rappers also believe that they are making a point by telling the youth all the negative things that happen in the inner city so they can SUPPOSEDLY do better. But it doesn't happen that way- do as I say not as I do- mind set.

Does NAS get play time on MTV?

I think Ice-T was making points in his music. BTW. Would you consider him "hip hop"?

Island Boy

Add to that list J-Lo, all the people who change their names as actors(Winona Horowitz becomes Winona Ryder) various singers and even the ridiculous McG.

Guess they aren't professionals and they're bad role models for kids from the burbs. (sometimes they are bad role models for everyone.)

Wilt the Stilt, the Kangaroo Kid..hmm, you were saying?

Does NAS get play time on MTV?

I think Ice-T was making points in his music. BTW. Would you consider him "hip hop"?

:laugh: I don't know about now because I don't watch it, but Nas is one of the best selling rappers of all time.

Originally posted by Island Boy

These are athletes they are in the public spotlight, they entertain. That is different from Joe Blo working on wall street or in the local Wal-Mart.

Well heck, I guess I am all wrong then. Because they are into entertainment.....

Just can not see Michael alowing himself to be called J-Dogg. There is a reason why he would not allow it. You don't get it. And I am done wasting time trying to explain it.

Well heck, I guess I am all wrong then. Because they are into entertainment.....

Just can not see Michael alowing himself to be called J-Dogg. There is a reason why he would not allow it. You don't get it. And I am done wasting time trying to explain it.

You are conflating BAD NICKNAMES with an actual cultural shift rather than lazy construction.

King James? The Chosen One? These are nicknames too. King James is kind of cool. He's not called L-Dog.

Don't be so dense.

Im gonna stop too, but I hope you werent talkin about Jordan, cause a nick is a nick no matter what it sounds like.

If it acts like a duck, flys like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a DUCK.

Whats the difference between being call MJ and T-Mac ... they sound pretty similar to me. Is TM okay? Your right we don't get it ... because it makes no sense.

Whats the difference between being call MJ and T-Mac ... they sound pretty similar to me. Is TM okay? Your right we don't get it ... because it makes no sense.

Good point. His Airness, MJ, being simply known as "Jordan."

Portis your point on nicknames was not well-thought out and that's why you're having difficulty.

You thought you had stumbled on some tiny nugget of wisdom and then were revealed to be nothing but a fool clutching pyrite.

It's OK. It happens to all of us. But it would be better to go back to your ill-informed general criticisms of the NBA rather than continue along this path.

Archived