Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Virginia Beach Question

denverdan

I'm going on a family vacation next week to Virginia Beach, a place I've never been. What should I see and do. Where can I get a good Pizza, is there a unique bar I should check out? and last of all, hows the weather and is swimmin' a possibility?

Any help is greatly apprieciated.

There used to be a bar on 17th street that looked like a cave, don't I don't remember the name of it. They also used to have some afterhours clubs that were BYOB.

It's been many, many years ago since went to bars down there,

so can't help there. Peabodys was a popular place years ago,

just don't know about today.

My step-daughter goes there some, but mostly she frequents

Bar Norfolk down at Waterside. (downtown Norfolk)

As far as water temp, to me the water is still pretty cold. Just haven't had enough warm days to get the water temp up.

I was stationed there for 2 years back in 2000. The best bar in town (imo of course) is the Jewish Mother. It's off of laskin and pacific. Great bar, if they still have it Wenesday was blues night, (best night to go) thursday was classic rock night. But it all depends what your into. Like mentioned before Peabodys is still pretty big. If you can make it to Norfolk, Bar Norfolk and have a nice day are decent. It has been a while since I've been back, so I'm sure there are plenty of new spots. Man I miss that place sometimes, have fun!

Originally posted by denverdan

I'm going on a family vacation next week to Virginia Beach, a place I've never been. What should I see and do. Where can I get a good Pizza, is there a unique bar I should check out? and last of all, hows the weather and is swimmin' a possibility?

Any help is greatly apprieciated.

OK, Where will you be staying? Bars......if you wanna stay at the beach Peabody's is ok but its more of a club. Keifer's is fun good drinks and a good time. I prefer to go to Have A Nice Day Cafe or Bar Norfolk in Norfolk at Waterside. Its probably going to be too cold for swimming. You should come by the Gallery in which my family owns its pretty cool. The Marine Science Museum is pretty cool, though I think the name has changed. If you ask about people will know what your talking about. Back to the topic of Bars, at the strip there are tons of them so you really wont have a problem trying to find somewhere to drink. One more thing, there is a place called Pungo Pizza its very family oriented and very good. It is on Princess Anne road in Pungo. Hope this helps, give me some more specifics on what your looking to do and I may have more ideas.

Originally posted by Doozinbrah

OK, Where will you be staying? Bars......if you wanna stay at the beach Peabody's is ok but its more of a club. Keifer's is fun good drinks and a good time. I prefer to go to Have A Nice Day Cafe or Bar Norfolk in Norfolk at Waterside. Its probably going to be too cold for swimming. You should come by the Gallery in which my family owns its pretty cool. The Marine Science Museum is pretty cool, though I think the name has changed. If you ask about people will know what your talking about. Back to the topic of Bars, at the strip there are tons of them so you really wont have a problem trying to find somewhere to drink. One more thing, there is a place called Pungo Pizza its very family oriented and very good. It is on Princess Anne road in Pungo. Hope this helps, give me some more specifics on what your looking to do and I may have more ideas.

Doosinbrah is right, there is a lot to do in the Va Beach/Norfolk area. Nauticus in downtown Norfolk is good for a family. In

Ghent section of Norfolk there are a ton of great resturants/bars.

Not sure when you're arriving, but this weekend at Langley AFB,

they are having their annual air show. This is across the water

in Hampton.

If you want good seafood, stay away from the oceanfront.

Bubbas is good... chics beach area. Be sure to try BBQ from the Beach Bully... yum. Also... dough boys used to be a great place to get pizza but I'm not sure if it's there anymore :(

Not sure what you are into or how old your family is... but there is plenty to see and do. Actually, you can't go wrong with the tourism website.

I though I was the only one that knew about Pungo Pizza and Ice Cream. That is the worlds, yes worlds greatest pizza. I recommend the Chicken Ranch pizza! I used to live out in Sandbridge, we'd always hit up Pungo!

Originally posted by zoony

If you want good seafood, stay away from the oceanfront.

Bubbas is good... chics beach area. Be sure to try BBQ from the Beach Bully... yum. Also... dough boys used to be a great place to get pizza but I'm not sure if it's there anymore :(

Not sure what you are into or how old your family is... but there is plenty to see and do. Actually, you can't go wrong with the tourism website.

Chicks Oyster Bar on Vista Circle off of Shore is really good. The best She Crab soup. I was in Knoxville Tenn. and saw a recipe in a local newspaper that was Chicks' She Crab Soup.

I rented a lower part of a house out there for a little over a year. Lived on 3301 sandpiper. I rented from william allen, that guy was something else. I so miss being a block away from the beach and all the tourists that come in the summer.

Chicks Oyster Bar on Vista Circle off of Shore is really good. The best She Crab soup. I was in Knoxville Tenn. and saw a recipe in a local newspaper that was Chicks' She Crab Soup.

small world that you would be in Knoxville... that's where I am now. But I went to jr high / HS in va beach. (lynnhaven jr... FC High)

did you go to kellam?

Princess Anne and my family lives and is from Knoxville( Sevierville) I bleed Burgandy, Gold, and Orange. Actually my grandfather is a relative of Dolly Parton. Not close enough that I have ever met her or anything but its kinda cool. Oh, I am not in Knoxville, I meant I was visiting.

Princess Anne and my family lives and is from Knoxville( Sevierville) I bleed Burgandy, Gold, and Orange. Actually my grandfather is a relative of Dolly Parton. Not close enough that I have ever met her or anything but its kinda cool. Oh, I am not in Knoxville, I meant I was visiting.

I knew you weren't in Knoxville... :). I live about 10 minutes from Neyland stadium on the knox-sevier county line.

I used to live off Little Neck when I was in va beach... not to far from Princess Anne. Actually, I think it might be zoned for PA now, but when I lived there it was zoned for First Colonial.

oh, speaking of dolly... I built a garage last year and Dolly's 1st cousin poured my concrete. He didn't look as prosperous as dolly, :) but a nice guy. Wade Parton iirc

Thank you everyone, you gave me some ideas. I will definitely go to Pungo Pizza and the Marine Science Museum. I don't know exactly where I am staying only that it is on the beach. I also heard about some weird spa, does anyone know anything about that and is it worth the money?

Originally posted by denverdan

Thank you everyone, you gave me some ideas. I will definitely go to Pungo Pizza and the Marine Science Museum. I don't know exactly where I am staying only that it is on the beach. I also heard about some weird spa, does anyone know anything about that and is it worth the money?

Weird Spa? Whats the name? What do you mean by weird? I know the Edgar Casey Foundation is into alternative medicine/ herbal. There is a Spa at "The Heritage" which deals with this type of thing, but am not totally sure what it is about. Oh and also go to the Va Beach Contemporary Art Center its pretty cool.

Archived