Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

News Wars

Originally posted by Destino

Are you serious? Om, you usually have some hard-hitting replies to my unhomerism but this one is substandard. I understand the value in providing an entire interview, reporters in all areas practice selective quote use. But there is so much more involved in claiming you provide "unfiltered" news and then declaring war on a newspaper.

You will never get the bad news from the team. They won't publish hard hitting stories about how Snyder lost his damn mind and tried to make fans pay with only a Redskins Extra Points MasterCard will you? They'll tell you how great an idea that is and how we should thank king Snyder for directing us to the very best Mastercard around. You won't find news the skins are trying to keep quiet, like Arrington's contract. You won't find anything at all that doesn't make the team look pretty good.

In short "unfiltered" is exactly what the site will NOT offer you. They will offer you amazingly slanted story selection and fluff pieces that at times may show how a negative sports writer is manipulating a quote. Is it a good resource? Sure. Is it the truth as compared to the posts fallacy as they seem to insinuate? No. [/b]

I wish you'd stopped with the bolded part. The rest just pretty much ignores the question in favor of a Captain Obvious rant. I don't have the time (or inclination, for that matter) to respond properly ... actually, if you actually read the thread, I think you'll find I pretty much already have, more than once ... but perhaps we'll run into one another again on this topic soon. :)

Originally posted by Art

Actually, it appears to be, as I've checked with the league offices as well. Is this another area you don't really understand, yet can't prevent yourself from simply suggesting you know better, when you don't?

Is it possible, even likely, that dozens of web sites have press credentials for other teams? Absolutely. I'm sure many have had them for a few years. The league only recently began to push teams away from granting them as I understand it.

Isn't it curious that just as a the league supposedly began to prevent teams from granting them (as you understand it), credentials were simultaneously being issued?

Originally posted by Flowtrain

Isn't it curious that just as a the league supposedly began to prevent teams from granting them (as you understand it), credentials were simultaneously being issued?

You'd have to define what you're talking about, as I have, to be certain we're talking about the same things, in terms of sites/publications receiving press credentials.

Or, you could simply call the league and ask, as I did. They're pretty up front about it. The NFL doesn't want individual teams deciding which on-line publications/sites are worthy of credentials and which aren't, is what I understand the reasoning to be.

My counter was don't let teams do that, just start at 30,000 members :).

I won't rehash my position, but I did want to give Tandler props for coming back and being a class act after taking some criticism. Most of us just get angry when our ideas aren't met with applause :)

Nice job Rich, whether I agree with your take or not, I respect the way you handle yourself :cheers:

Any personal team's site will have the same level of hard hitting reporting as say, www.nfl.com, in my opinion.

The Nolan story is a big one, in my opinion. Is it even listed on nfl.com? Of course not.

Most controversial NFL decisions are never talked about on the official website. Interesting if you ask me.

Dave Spadaro isn't the most, um, hard hitting reporter in the world. When he has an interview with one of the staff, it's all softball questions.

Not saying that is the worst thing in the world but to deny it is slanted reporting, to some extent, is foolish.

WB,

Would you consider the interview that Art did with Vinny C. to have been 'softball' questions, or polite BUT poigniant? Id say that Art asked questions that directly confronted several of the common criticisms that fans and the media tossed at him?

If Redskins.com is posting the FULL interviews that a group of reporters have with various players and coaches, would you not expect the same level of 'hard hitting' questions, or perhaps even harder?

I dont quite get it when people attack the concept of 'unfitlered' when what you are getting is the same stuff WITHOUT the spin of Mr. ReporterDuJour adding his or her interpretation and agenda.

Interpretation is what a message board is for... I dont need Nunyo's or Lenny P.'s Op-Ed-disguised-as-reporting because they know FAR FAR less about the team than most of the diehardfans on Extremeskins.

Originally posted by Destino

You will never get the bad news from the team. They won't publish hard hitting stories about how Snyder lost his damn mind and tried to make fans pay with only a Redskins Extra Points MasterCard will you?

So by Redskins.com posting interviews there directly they are somehow stopping the Post from publishing stories about future events like the Mastercard thing or the obstucted view seats deal?

Whatever man. All the Redskins are doing is posting information directly to their site so people have the choice to see and hear what they actually say without Nunyo and Co, distorting facts by adding their collective $1.50 to every story. It's not like Gibbs is installing bugs and tracking devices on all the staff and players and protecting the Reskins airspace with aircraft. The Post can still write stories and speculate till they choke but we can now see at least what was said by the Redskins, unfiltered. It doesn't mean they are telling the truth but it is still getting to us directly.

Archived