Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

60 years ago, 8 May 1945

Sarge

VE Day. Victory in Europe. The unconditional surrender of the Nazi regeime.

Thanks for everything old timers:notworthy

May 8

1945 V-E Day is celebrated in American and Britain-the war in Europe is over

On this day in 1945, both Great Britain and the United States celebrate Victory in Europe Day. Cities in both nations, as well as formerly occupied cities in Western Europe, put out flags and banners, rejoicing in the defeat of the Nazi war machine.

The eighth of May spelled the day when German troops throughout Europe finally laid down their arms: In Prague, Germans surrendered to their Soviet antagonists, after the latter had lost more than 8,000 soldiers, and the Germans considerably more; in Copenhagen and Oslo; at Karlshorst, near Berlin; in northern Latvia; on the Channel Island of Sark--the German surrender was realized in a final cease-fire. More surrender documents were signed in Berlin and in eastern Germany.

The main concern of many German soldiers was to elude the grasp of Soviet forces, to keep from being taken prisoner. About 1 million Germans attempted a mass exodus to the West when the fighting in Czechoslovakia ended, but were stopped by the Russians and taken captive. The Russians took approximately 2 million prisoners in the period just before and after the German surrender.

Meanwhile, more than 13,000 British POWs were released and sent back to Great Britain.

Pockets of German-Soviet confrontation would continue into the next day. On May 9, the Soviets would lose 600 more soldiers in Silesia before the Germans finally surrendered. Consequently, V-E Day was not celebrated until the ninth in Moscow, with a radio broadcast salute from Stalin himself: "The age-long struggle of the Slav nations...has ended in victory. Your courage has defeated the Nazis. The war is over."

I've always been fascinated by study of the 2nd World War. There is no greater struggle in human history, and it's recency means that there is no single set of events that has had a greater bearing upon the way our world operates today.

To all those many, many vets, many of whom gave their lives on foreign soil only to end up in unmarked graves, thank you and rest in peace from the bottom of my heart.

P.S.- just remember that 60 years ago today there was still the problem of this dust-up we were having with the Japanese in the Pacific . . .

When I was a little tike I had a chance to listen to the stories from an 82nd Airborne soldier during WWII.

One of which was during D-Day they were behind the German lines and trying to secure some bridges near Utah Beach when a mortar hit him in the Ankle but didn't explode. It did shatter it and he could hardly move. He crawled behind some bushes and hope he would not be found.

However, a German soldier walked by and did find him but didn't try to kill/capture him. He said they had their weapons both pointed at each other and stared at each other for what he said felt like an eternity and the German just walked away.

My grandfather was in WWII. My family still has his purple heart, pictures he had taken (some show missles in air off of navy ships), and his journal of where he was when etc. It is very interesting.

I've had the pleasure of listening to stories from several

WWII vets. In fact my Uncle was in the Navy serving in

the South Pacific. We has going to be part of the invasion

of Japan.

He went to Nagasaki (sp?) couple days after the blast. Talks

about how hard the ground was and wading through 3 feet

of ashes.

We do owe them a lot!

My Grandfather served as a Tank Commander from late '44 to the end of the war. He also served as an MP/Guard during the Neremberg War Trials. He guarded Hermann Goering.

When he was alive he really didn't talk much about the war. But after his passing my Grandmother gave everybody in the family a copy of a story he had typed on a computer. (I think it was a commodore something computer) He type his story of his time in the military so the family would be able to read it. Also he just loved the computer. He would be in awe of what the can do now.

I'm in grateful for the WWII vets that put their lives on the line. I don't think we'll ever have another generation of people like that again.

I made this for D-day, but I think it fits for this topic too . . .

ddaysig.jpg

Archived