Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

the truth behind the Campbell pick

Taco Bell

Alright here's my input...

I can finally safely assume the logic Gibbs is using for this pick... We can all assume Gibbs is not terribly satisfied with our QB situation, and its because A. Ramsey has not exactly proved himself to be "the guy" yet, and B. He will either begin demanding for a new contract or will not return once his old contract is up during and/or after this year. Because we know Gibbs finds the QB position to be far and away the most important one, he wanted to prepare to have at least 2 capable qbs on tap no matter what for the future, whichever combination it is of Campbell, Brunell, or Ramsey... Which brings up my next point, which is probably the major one...

If Ramsey would happen to stink it up next year, that would mean that yes we'd have a good 1st round pick next year, but that also means we'd suck the year after (2006) because either Ramsey would suck again because he proved he sucked the year before (2005) or we would just draft a rookie qb anyway in the 2006 draft... this gives Campbell an extra season to prepare in a year that is already a deserved undisputed starting year for Ramsey, so it will be a great learning period for him. This would make him battle ready in 2006 which would prevent us from having 2 consecutive terribly crappy years leaving it to 1, because as I said before if we sucked 2005 without Campbell then we'd suck for sure 2006 by means of Ramsey again or a 2006 draft rookie qb.

Now, I still think Gibbs has his priorities out of whack somewhat because with a team like ours and the holes we had we dont have the luxury of taking a quality backup over a real need like how he had in his last tenure, but at least this is the logic for it. Also, if Ramsey took notes on the Brees situation, he could end any future controversy by his play this year, because after all, if Ramsey played better, he wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this. But after all is said and done, I say this is an aggressive pick, and I like it... since drafts are always used to fix broken parts, this pick goes 2 steps of head instead of reacting with hindsight which will probably prove to save us a few seasons of heartache by just making our draft a little less fun to watch next year - :helmet:

My problem with giving up on Ramsey is the fact that he has yet to have the ball given to him and be allowed to make mistakes that young QBs HAVE TO GO THROUGH, in order to get better. First under Spurrier, Ramsey had to deal with the fact that Steve liked to pull QBs in and out of games for making a single mistake, and then last season Ramsey lost his starting job to Brunell who was worse for us then Ramsey ever was. When you look at some of the good QBs around the league, there has to be maybe a 2-3 year window that they are given where the coach puts the ball in their hand and says you are THE MAN, mistakes or no mistakes, because you need to have be pressure free in the huddle without having to look over your shoulder after every incomplete pass. Look at Ramsey's draft class. Harrington and Carr were given the ball and told to get in there and do their thing, whether they make mistakes or not. They learned along the way. Ramsey has yet to have that situation in his first three years of being an NFL QB. Carr is ahead of Ramsey right now, but Harrington even with all the extra experience he has aquired is still not as efficient as Ramsey yet and looks like he may turn out to be a bust.

Now personally, I think 2005 is that year for Ramsey. It is his fourth year, and Gibbs' mindset is that he thinks NOW is the time for Ramsey to take that next step, and I believe he thinks he can. Don't be fooled by the Campbell pick, Gibbs does not like throwing inexperienced youngsters in there, and Gibbs knows that with all of our QBs on the roster, Ramsey is the best option out of the bunch, however at the same time in two years will he STILL BE? That is the question.

Ramsey didn't "lose" HIS starting job last year. - He was unable to win it in camp. In the beggining of the year, he clearly didn't have a handle on the offense. If you look at the difference between week 2 vs. the Giants, and week 8 or 9 when he finally got to start, you could tell he had a grasp of what was going on.

Campbell was brought in to be a back-up and learn properly by not being thrown to the wolves immediately. We will have a capable back-up on the upside of his career as opposed to a back-up on the downside of his career.

This is more about Brunell then Ramsey.

Originally posted by jimster

Ramsey didn't "lose" HIS starting job last year. - He was unable to win it in camp. In the beggining of the year, he clearly didn't have a handle on the offense. If you look at the difference between week 2 vs. the Giants, and week 8 or 9 when he finally got to start, you could tell he had a grasp of what was going on.

Campbell was brought in to be a back-up and learn properly by not being thrown to the wolves immediately. We will have a capable back-up on the upside of his career as opposed to a back-up on the downside of his career.

This is more about Brunell then Ramsey.

]

I don't disagree about Brunell, however who in their right mind drafts someone to be a backup? I don't believe Gibbs would draft Campbell unless he felt he would be a NFL starter in a few years, however in a few years Ramsey will only be in his upper 20's, and something will have to give then. Like I said in another thread, best case scenario is that we end up like San Diego and Ramsey has a fantastic year, all the while we have a good prospect on the roster learning.

you always draft for depth. - the less you draft for immediate need, the better.

A perfect example ( it sickens me to admit) is the Eagles drafted their current starting CB's in the 1st and 2nd rounds in 2002 and made them depth players for 2 years. - In 2004, they were pretty decent starters.

a QB is even more important and complicated to prepare, so it is very logical.

NoCal, I must not have seen all of your first post. - You already made a good point about Campbell - in a couple of years, Gibbs will have another option. - I agree.

That is better then in a couple of years, wishing you had another option, and having to draft a QB and start from scratch when the rest of your team is already in place.

Good post, Mike. I see your points and they are well taken. If Montana and Young could do it for years, why not Ramsey and Campbell?

BUT, I can't help but feel we could have had someone on par with Campbell at a lesser cost. LeFlors in the 4th for example. I find it hard to believe that Campbell is a can't-miss QB of the fuure. No one is these days. So why use that high a pick (and so many picks) on him?

The draft seems simple...They are unsure as all of us are if Ramsey will be THE guy for the future. If we knew the future it wouldn't be as fun as it is now :laugh:

Ramsey still has much to prove this year.. its his team, its his time, now what will he do with it will answer this question..

I am not sure he will make the grade.. but as a Skin fan i have to get behind him 100%!!

I would have liked to see us draft a WR, but i think will be ok with what we have... !!!???

In Gibbs we trust! :notworthy :notworthy

Skinster

Skin 4 Life!!!

Originally posted by Sebowski

Good post, Mike. I see your points and they are well taken. If Montana and Young could do it for years, why not Ramsey and Campbell?

BUT, I can't help but feel we could have had someone on par with Campbell at a lesser cost. LeFlors in the 4th for example. I find it hard to believe that Campbell is a can't-miss QB of the fuure. No one is these days. So why use that high a pick (and so many picks) on him?

I do agree that the price for Campbell did seem very high, and it was almost a tossup as to whether he would be there at #25.

Archived