Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MERGED: 183rd pick: Jared Newberry OLB Stanford

carter23

Another backup/special teamer. But I think this could signal that Lavar will be shown the door next year.

OLB Jared Newberry

(6'1" 234, 4.72) Stanford

Postivies:

Moves well laterally and has good instincts. Keys and diagnoses quickly. Very good range to play to the sideline. Naturally athletic and will fly to the ball. Plays fast and has a passion for the game. Times blitzes nicely. Can sift through traffic and makes lots of plays in backside pursuit. Great body control and change of direction. Best in coverage and shows good enough coverage skills to play safety. Reliable tackler. Very smart. Showed excellent cover skills and route recognition at the Senior Bowl.

Negatives:

Production slipped as a senior. Undersized and struggles taking on blocks. Marginal strength. Gives ground to run around blocks at times and takes himself out of plays. Limited power and explosiveness on contact. Gets knocked around at the point of attack. Does not use his hands well to shed.

Summary:

Best chance will come at "Will" in a scheme like the one used by the Bucs, Bears, or Colets, where he is protected and free to run to the ball. Some teams may project him to safety. A second day selection.

First pick that has me scratching my head. We pass up a pretty decent prospect at DE, for a position we are pretty stacked at right now. No doubt, this guy is pretty smart and can help himself in the weight room, but we've got guys there.

I don't understand why we keep passing on the DL in the draft, year after year.

Jason

Yeah, but don't we want to eventually, say... have some production from DE or DT? Cornelius Griffin is the best DL player we've had in... well, I can't remember how long. Who was the last true pressure-inducing DE we've had?

What about the last quality DL player at either DT/DE that we've drafted?

When are people going to learn that maybe Gregg Williams and Greg Blache are completely confident with what we got along the D-line?

We've seen signs pointing to this time and time and time again:

1) Passed on Jevon Kearse last offseason.

2) Choosing o-linemen over d-linemen late in the draft a year ago.

3) Chose not to overpay for Courtney Brown.

4) Selecting two linebackers in spots where seemingly decent

d-linemen were available this season.

Williams and Blache clearly aren't worried about it based on this evidence, so if I were you, I wouldn't be either. Afterall, by listening to some people around here, our defensive situation was supposed to be so piss poor, that they wouldn't have been able to stop a Pee-wee football team a year ago. I guess they were wrong.

On another note, consider this: Gibbs stated a while back that he had intentions of adding five guys who can play special teams.

Well, Brian Allen is one, McCune was touted as another who should serve as a solid special teamer, and now Newberry.

I believe that the club has an eye towards solidifying special teams play as much as any other area late in the draft. I don't see a problem with that strategy. Afterall, any team banking on landing a starter on offense or defense this late in the draft has some serious misconceptions.

Originally posted by Canadian Hog

When are people going to learn that maybe Gregg Williams and Greg Blache are completely confident with what we got along the D-line?

We've seen signs pointing to this time and time it time again:

1) Passed on Jevon Kearse last offseason.

2) Choosing o-linemen over d-linemen late in the draft a year ago.

3) Chose not to overpay for Courtney Brown.

4) Selecting two linebackers in spots where seemingly decent

d-linemen were available this season.

Williams and Blache clearly aren't worried about it based on this evidence, so if I were you, I wouldn't be either. Afterall, by listening to some people around here, our defensive situation was supposed to be so piss poor, that they wouldn't have been able to stop a Pee-wee football team a year ago. I guess they were wrong.

On another note, consider this: Gibbs stated a while back that he had intentions of adding five guys who can play special teams.

Well, Brian Allen is one, McCune was touted as another who should serve as a solid special teamer, and now Newberry.

I believe that the club has an eye towards solidifying special teams play as much as any other area late in the draft. I don't see a problem with that strategy. Afterall, any team banking on landing a starter on offense or defense this late in the draft has some serious misconceptions.

Then why even the pursuit of Brown in the first place? Using a low pick like this on a young prospect for our D line can't hurt at this point.

And it's not about landing a starter. It's about adding a contributor and some depth to a position that we have repeatedly ignored in drafts year after year.

I live in Palo Alto, and attend Stanford Games on occassion.

While I can't offer much insight into this pick, I am pretty sure that Koy Gibbs (a former LB at Stanford) knows him well.

If memory serves me correctly, Koy was affiliated with the Stanford program as student assistant or perhaps more generally with the athletic department two years ago.

If you add the two draft picks today to the guys already on the roster we have 13 LB's. The battle to make the final roster is on.

xx Jared Newberry

xx Robert McCune

50 Campbell, Khary LB 6-3 250 3 Bowling Green 04-04-1979

0 Allen, Brian LB 6-0 232 4 Florida State 04-01-1978

56 Arrington, LaVar LB 6-3 247 5 Penn State 06-20-1978

51 Barnes, Brandon LB 6-2 247 1 Missouri 06-12-1981

55 Barrow, Mike LB 6-2 245 12 Miami (Fla.) 04-19-1970

57 Clemons, Chris LB 6-3 234 2 Georgia 10-30-1981

0 Tuipala, Joe LB 6-1 248 3 San Diego State 09-13-1976

53 Washington, Marcus LB 6-3 247 5 Auburn 09-17-1977

59 Lemons, Devin LB 6-2 232 2 Texas Tech 03-20-1979

98 Marshall, Lemar LB 6-2 227 4 Michigan State 12-17-1976