Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2005 NFL/Redskins Draft Thread

88Comrade2000

Originally posted by ESPNchat

Russell: Who will start the seson for Washington, Campbell or Ramsey?

Gary Horton: (5:00 PM ET ) Ramsey. Although it is a fairly simple offense to learn.

Gary Horton: (5:01 PM ET ) I think he is in a great position to learn and step in and play a lot earlier than a lot of young QBs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason: I bet you could run it huh, Gary

Gary Horton: (5:02 PM ET ) If we hand it off every down to Clinton Portis, I might be OK. It's just that it's not has hard to learn as many NFL offenses in my opinion. It's still a transition from college to the NFL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lance: Don't you think Ramsey will get traded pretty soon?

Randy Mueller: (5:04 PM ET ) I like Patrick Ramsey but he may have to move to another team before his potential is fullfilled. The Steve Spurrior era set him back...I'd love to have him somehwere on my team at somepoint.

John: I think you will see Ramsey starting, but I would not be surprised to see him yanked in favor of Campbell

Randy Mueller: (5:07 PM ET ) I think it's an idictment of the Redskin decision making..first they gave mark Brunnell, 6 mil to sign...he could play....then they went to Ramsey for half the season and Joe Gibbs says he's the guy no matter what....then they pick the next guy with Jason Campbell...I've said it a millon times...just pick a lane....I don't care what lane...pick one and stay in it for more than 6 months....

Originally posted by mookie0720

Wow, I'm glad you can cut and paste from the internet dictionary.

Actually I'm currently studying Computer Science at one of the Top 5 Com Sci schools in America...thanks for playing.

You know Mookie, your constant diatribe is getting really old.

FYI - I AM a computer scientist and have been working as one for the last 9 years. In that time, I've met many brilliant technologists, and none of that intelligence qualified those individuals as football experts. Do yourself a favor a tuck that credential card back in your pocket, as it carries little weight here. Do yourself a favor and quit before you dig yourself too big a hole. Your ignorance, immaturity and now arrogance are really hurting your arguments right now.

Originally posted by BayouBrave86

I'd have badass stats too if I had TWO TOP 5 RUNNINGBACKS IN MY BACKFIELD taking off the pressure!!!

Ever hear of Joe Theismann. He had a badass back named John Riggins taking pressure off of him. How about Doug Williams? All a guy named Timmy Smith did was rush for the most yards in a Super Bowl. Mark Rypien? A couple of guys named Byner and Riggs were doing the legwork for him. Right now, we've got this guy named Clinton Portis that has rushed for 4,500 yards in three NFL seasons. Sounds like a good formula to me, whether the QB is named Ramsey or Campbell.

Originally posted by TXREDSKINS44

I agree jimster, now till training camp there is going to be so much neagitvite around here!!

Per usual I would say...Hard to get rid of the nattering nabobs...

I am intrigued myself. Ramsey is the guy, and now there is competition because Brunell wasn't providing it. It's just not the Redskins without QB controversy...It's an infamous tradition.

Originally posted by NomadicSkinFan

You know Mookie, your constant diatribe is getting really old.

FYI - I AM a computer scientist and have been working as one for the last 9 years. In that time, I've met many brilliant technologists, and none of that intelligence qualified those individuals as football experts. Do yourself a favor a tuck that credential card back in your pocket, as it carries little weight here. Do yourself a favor and quit before you dig yourself too big a hole. Your ignorance, immaturity and now arrogance are really hurting your arguments right now.

Read before you post.

He questioned my intelligence, hence why I used that card.

I in no way incinuated that I had football knowledge because of my field of study.

I'm sorry that I don't agree with everything Joe Gibbs does, that seems to be a sign of football stupidty around here.

Originally posted by jimster

Wow, no one is willing to give Gibbs a chance. - Where can we find one of those coaches that goes to the Superbowl every year and does everything the fans want :doh:

The writing is on the wall. Too many times Ramsey has been shortchanged in Gibb's new regime. And here Gibb's has picked 2 quarterbacks (Brunell and Campbell) in less then 2 years. Big votes of confidence from Gibb's to Ramsey. 4 quarterbacks- Ramsey, Brunell, Hasselbeck, and Campbell? Gee, I guess we don't have any other needs. Beyond awful.

joe used 2 quarterbacks to win the S.B. in 87. Last year 2 good qbs could have really helped us. Brunnell is gone after next year, so do you want Hassleback as the primary backup. Nice move. I would have picked williams and miller, but these seem like smart moves.

Originally posted by TXREDSKINS44

I agree jimster, now till training camp there is going to be so much neagitvite around here!!

The way to put the end to negativity from the fans is stop making stupid decisions on draft day/ player personel. Winning some games would help too.

Originally posted by nneece

The writing is on the wall. Too many times Ramsey has been shortchanged in Gibb's new regime. And here Gibb's has picked 2 quarterbacks (Brunell and Campbell) in less then 2 years. Big votes of confidence from Gibb's to Ramsey. 4 quarterbacks- Ramsey, Brunell, Hasselbeck, and Campbell? Gee, I guess we don't have any other needs. Beyond awful.

I think this says more about the length of Mark Brunell's stay here then it does Ramsey. - You've got to always have more than one QB in the stable, and Gibbs always has.

Everyone is jumping up in arms about the Campbell selection. C'mon people, get real. I realize that this can be read as Gibbs lack of faith in Ramsey, and perhaps there is some doubt, but look at Gibbs track record.....

He likes to keep young prospects on his bench to groom. Rypien was on the bench for a few years, IIRC. He was on the bench during our Super Bowl vs. Denver, remember?

If I understand it correctly, in a Joe Gibbs perfect world, Campbell will ride the pine, practicing clipboard curls for a MINIMUM of two years. By that time, if Ramsey has not proven himself, then maybe he'll make the switch. But if Ramsey performs, Campbell will still be warming the bench for the starters.

Another thing I understand about Gibbs is that he likes to have good prospects in line behind the starters. Not necessarily to keep them "looking over their shoulder", but to prevent there being much dropoff in performance if a player goes down.

But, yeah, the "looking over your shoulder" thing does factor into it. Gibbs players have to know that if they don't play up to par, there is someone else waiting in the wings to step up and take your job. Doesn't matter what you are getting paid.

As much as I am a fan of Ramsey and am crossing my fingers and hoping that he *is* our future, this move does not surprise or diappoint me, and I think it was a good move.

Mookie, I have read most of your posts here, and happen to agree with your assessments. But whether I did or not, I am puzzled by the inane personal attacks on you. I did not see anything in here that indicated you are an idiot. (Maybe that makes ME one, too - but my Mensa buddies would argue.) Now, I am arrogant also...

I was "assuming" all of the pundits were out to lunch on their comments about the Redskins' moves prior to the draft. Unfortunately, they DID actually follow through on the moves that they were being mocked so heavily throughout all of the media for doing. Pitiful.

Originally posted by Khun Kao

Everyone is jumping up in arms about the Campbell selection. C'mon people, get real. I realize that this can be read as Gibbs lack of faith in Ramsey, and perhaps there is some doubt, but look at Gibbs track record.....

He likes to keep young prospects on his bench to groom. Rypien was on the bench for a few years, IIRC. He was on the bench during our Super Bowl vs. Denver, remember?

If I understand it correctly, in a Joe Gibbs perfect world, Campbell will ride the pine, practicing clipboard curls for a MINIMUM of two years. By that time, if Ramsey has not proven himself, then maybe he'll make the switch. But if Ramsey performs, Campbell will still be warming the bench for the starters.

Another thing I understand about Gibbs is that he likes to have good prospects in line behind the starters. Not necessarily to keep them "looking over their shoulder", but to prevent there being much dropoff in performance if a player goes down.

But, yeah, the "looking over your shoulder" thing does factor into it. Gibbs players have to know that if they don't play up to par, there is someone else waiting in the wings to step up and take your job. Doesn't matter what you are getting paid.

As much as I am a fan of Ramsey and am crossing my fingers and hoping that he *is* our future, this move does not surprise or diappoint me, and I think it was a good move.

I've heard it both ways now. 'Gibb's likes to have a veteran QB', 'He likes to keep young prospects on his bench to groom.' Obviously his ideal situation is to have a Veteran starting and a rookie in the wings. But Brunell has been such a big bust it just doesn't work out that way. And the strategy ignores the obvious talent the team has in Ramsey. If Ramsey didn't work out this year as starter then I am in agreement, cut him. But don't start working on a replacement until next season we have too many other areas of need.

Just a horrible pick. Completely useless to us next year, unless we really are hanging Ramsey out to dry. This pick does nothing to help us avoid giving Denver a high pick next year.

And if we were that dead set on drafting a QB, why not try to leap frog GB one spot and take Rodgers?

But I'm sure there is some Karl Rove quality spin on the way. :rolleyes:

This draft made me sick.

:puke:

So tired of the constant belly aching that goes on here. My personal opinion is that we have a bunch of Madden Gm's/ fantasy football geeks/ and the rest hang on every word that comes out of ESPN as gospel.

Let the season play out. Give Joe and the front office a chance and let's wait till there is a snap to judge anyone.

Some advice - turn on your playstation and play a video game. B/c that is were you will be happy calling the shots.

Archived