Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scout.com: Redskins met with WR Edwards on Thursday

Dah-Dee

Draft Whispers from the Park

John Keim - Scout.com

April 21, 2005 at 6:11pm ET

Will the Redskins trade up to pick Braylon Edwards? It looks like that's a possibility based on what's happening today.

According to an NFL source, the Redskins spent part of today interviewing the Michigan receiver (it's unknown where, but likely in Michigan, or possibly New York). Considering he'd be long gone before Washington selects at No. 9, that can only mean one thing: trading up.

It's uncertain what the Redskins would have to trade, and with whom they would deal. If they determine Edwards is their man, then they'd likely have to trade either with Cleveland at No. 3 or Miami at No. 2. And that would probably mean using their 25th pick as well.

When one Redskins defensive coach was asked what he wanted, he might have tipped off the draft strategy when he simply said, ''Points.'' Edwards certainly would provide a boost for an offense that lacked much firepower.

The Redskins also have said they'd ''absolutely'' consider trading up in the first round. They also said they knew what it would take to move up, which is why they might have traded with Denver on Tuesday, receiving the 25th overall pick.

Washington lacks a second and a third-round pick.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_372327_71&prov=citadel&type=story

We just have to pray the 49ers wouldn't accept only the 2 first rounders and that the Dolphins take him at #2 or something... only our team could manage to waste the whole first day of the draft on 1 player whose position we've already addressed to some extent while leaving glaring ones like corner or neglected ones like defensive end out in the open :(

Originally posted by W. Unseld

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 freakin' picks for a guy who would not have been rated the #1 reciever in either of the last two drafts??

It's 4 picks and you won't see a receiver rated close to Roy Williams and Charles Rogers for the next several years. Braylon is rated a shade under them only because he runs a "slow" 4.45 at 6'3"

Think Terrell Owens without the baggage.

Picking up Braylon would not be the end of the world people. Be grateful Gibbs is aggressive in getting players he thinks he needs to get over the hump.

boof, Michigan fans have told me that he has "good" but not "great" hands, which is similar to what was said about Gardner coming out. Also high drafted Michigan recievers bring to mind Desmond Howard and David Terrell. But what really bugs me is 4 or 5 picks for a reciever. I just don't think the unit is that glaring of a weakness and even if it is it's not going to improve much if both Ramsey and the running game haven't made some strides.

He is also another Michael Westbrook according to Michael Wilbon's article in Fridays Washington Post. If some of the things Edwards was supposedly saying or doing I would just assume get a team guy like Mark Clayton later on if we trade down. Edwards seems like an arrogant idiot to me. He has already bought a 140,000 dollar car, talking about how good he is, how handsome he is, etc..... Thats what we need on this team is another prima dona. We need team players.

You can consider me a Michigan fan and I've seen him play at least 12 times the past 3 years. His hands may be only "good" but they are waaaaay better than Rod Gardner's. Andre Johnson's hands were considered worse and Charles Rogers hands were rated the same.

Bringing up old receivers from the same school isn't objective thinking. Would you pass on Peyton Manning because Tee Martin and Heath Shuler went to Tennessee.

Again. the price is steep, and it's not my preference for them to go that route, but we would be getting a guaranteed stud.

This is nothing but a smoke screen. Even if we do trade up to the 2nd or 3rd spot I think this will happen.

We trade down with the Vikings for their 7th and whatever pick in the first. We draft Mike Williams with the 7th pick and get the best corner avaiable with the other pick. There is no way I see them giving up all them picks just to get ONE player on Saturday.

I must be the only person who has no problem with this move.

We do need more points. From what I've seen, I would say that Edwards is better than Fitzgerald coming out. He looks pretty awesome and seems to be a very high character guy.

It's hard not to have trust in Greg Williams right now, while you can't say that our offense couldn't use some new energy in the form of the best athlete in the draft.

That would be two years in a row that we got the best athlete in the draft. I can't see a much better way to build a team.

I'm all for this. Let's face it, we need either depth on defense or a playmaker on Offense to take the pressure of Portis and make things easier for Ramsey. Our Defense was top 5 last year. We have players ready to take over Smoot and Pierce's spot. Offensively there are a lot of question marks at Wide Reciever. If we can get a sure fire thing and a target for Ramsey to throw to, someone the defense has to RESPECT down the field, then lets pull the trigger, even if its a first this year, a first next year, a 3rd, and a 4th.

I wanted Moss because of this and he would've been cheaper, but Gibbs didn't want the headcase. Burress was too Gardnerish.

We are going to have cap room next year to go after FAs people. Gibbs is not in the mindset of waiting. We want to win now.

let's put it this way, the patriots really don't have a terrell owens and have one 3 out of 4. ok brady is great, but not the impact player as manning is. so great players are great, but that doesn't result in winning. balance and depth are proving more vital these days.

they don't get edwards...consider this backtracking for the skins. also maybe driving up the value of trading up.

Originally posted by techiecool

let's put it this way, the patriots really don't have a terrell owens and have one 3 out of 4. ok brady is great, but not the impact player as manning is. so great players are great, but that doesn't result in winning. balance and depth are proving more vital these days.

they don't get edwards...consider this backtracking for the skins. also maybe driving up the value of trading up.

The Patriots have some damn good wide recievers. Branch is better than anyone we have on the roster right now. I'd take him over Patten, Moss, Gardner, and Jacobs. He's small but he's dynamite.

Secondly, Brady is a franchise QB. As much as I like Ramsey he is not anywhere near Brady's league. I'd take Brady over Peyton Manning. He makes the right throws in the right situations, and is cool under pressure. You never see the guy rattled. The Pats with Bledsoe were a one and done playoff team if they even made it to the postseason. Since Brady has took over they haven't looked back.

Balance and depth are only good if that balance and depth gives you consistent production. Everyone, myself included, thought our WR's were deep last year. I thought we had a potentially top ten recieving core. Guess what, they underachieved. Coles is gone. Gardner is on his way out. Why? Because that balance and depth didn't do anything for us last year.

Gibbs see's the need for us to have a consistent playmaker at wide reciever. We have the depth but we do not know if that depth can be counted on to consistently come up with clutch performances in game altering situations.

Moss had one great year. I love the guy, but last year he was inconsistent. He'll never be a legit #1 WR. He's a poor mans #1 at best. Don't you think Gibbs knows this? That's while I'll be dissapointed if we pay him Coles money. Jacobs is still untapped potential. He's shown flashes but we don't know if the consistency to produce is there. Thrash is Thrash. He's got everything but talent. Great special teams guy.

I can count our reliable offensive players last year on two fingers. Cooley and Portis. Cooley and Portis.

true, branch is no owens and brady is no manning. but you'd take brady over manning. so the numbers don't tell the whole story. and so edwards (great size and speed) doesn't tell the whole story. the redskins are in love w/ marquee and have proven that. they need to look for quality at a reasonable value. the eagles have done a great job of that too.

to be honest, i think portis was border line reliable as he wasn't used properly. cooley was great.

If the Skins trade up to get Braylon Edwards (using 5 high picks to do it), when we have so many needs, the FO are morons.

Its well proven that most rookie WR's don't excel in their first year in the league.

Besides the humungus signing bonus we would have to pay Edwards, consider this: Besides having no DL pass rush, in 2006 our defensive line which has hardly ever been addressed the past decade in the draft, will be nearing Social Security age. :doh:

When are we EVER going to address the DL in the draft? Instead we will be looking around for the Grant Wistrom's of the world next year, to give $15 million signing bonuses to. :doh:

Wynn - 32

Griffin - 30

Noble - 32

Salave'a - 31

Daniels - 33

Warner - 31

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

If the Skins trade up to get Braylon Edwards (using 5 high picks to do it), when we have so many needs, the FO are morons.

Its well proven that most rookie WR's don't excel in their first year in the league.

Besides the humungus signing bonus we would have to pay Edwards, consider this: Besides having no DL pass rush, in 2006 our defensive line which has hardly ever been addressed the past decade in the draft, will be nearing Social Security age. :doh:

When are we EVER going to address the DL in the draft? Instead we will be looking around for the Grant Wistrom's of the world next year, to give $15 million signing bonuses to. :doh:

Wynn - 32

Griffin - 30

Noble - 32

Salave'a - 31

Daniels - 33

Warner - 31

those ages don't look to appealing

Archived