Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MIDDLE Line Backer

Thinking Skins

I was just thinking to myself about the recent list of people we had in the middle, Pierce, Trotter, Smith, Patton, possibly Lemar Marshall next year.

With the possible exception of Trotter, all of these were OLB converted to MLB. It doesn't take a mathematician to kinda notice a trend with us as far as this position has been going. So I was questioning why?

Does a player at OLB get less wear and tear on his body than somebody who plays the middle? It would seem that there is some reason why we have been so hesitant to draft a guy who spent 3 or 4, heck even 1 or 2, years at middle. Most of our prospects have come from undrafted free agents.

Do other teams feel this way? Is MLB a position where the top 5 or so are drafted and the rest are just on a hopeful basis?

I'm too busy to actually do the stats, but I'm wondering how much success there is at drafting the position? I'd like to see the MLB's drafted in like 1999 or 2000 and how they are doing now?

Mike Peterson MLB, Jax. Drafted 1999 2nd round, averages over 100 tackes a season, missed 7 games in his career so far.

Dat Nguyen MLB, Dal. Drafted 3rd round 1999. Has missed 14 games.

Brian Urlacher MLB, Chi. Drafted 1st round 2000, Missed 7 games.

Mark Simoneau MLB, Atl. Drafted 3rd round 2000, Missed 5 games.

I really don't think the durability of natural MLBs is the issue. I'm not sure before the 2004 season, but I do know for sure that since G. Williams took the helm of the Skins D, he's prefered to have quicker, faster guys in the middle. Now, the OLB is traditionally the position that has the faster LB's, where as the MLB is more of a downhill type player, like Trotter. Williams likes to do things differently. He likes his OLB's bigger, so they can take on the Tackles, TE's, and absorb the blocks while the quicker MLB shoots the gaps to get the QB or stuff the run. That's why we've had converted OLB's in the middle last year, and will again this coming season, in L. Marshall. He likes quickness and coverage ability in the middle.

EDIT: Simoneau was taken in the 3rd.

Originally posted by blakman211

With the possible exception of Trotter, all of these were OLB converted to MLB. It doesn't take a mathematician to kinda notice a trend with us as far as this position has been going. So I was questioning why?

I'm thinking it is more because college OLB don't all have the speed to play the position. Typically, the guy in the middle is a bruiser. Speed is good, but not required, especially if you have fast guys on the outside.

Jason

Originally posted by FS36

Mike Peterson MLB, Jax. Drafted 1999 2nd round, averages over 100 tackes a season, missed 7 games in his career so far.

I really don't think the durability of natural MLBs is the issue. I'm not sure before the 2004 season, but I do know for sure that since G. Williams took the helm of the Skins D, he's prefered to have quicker, faster guys in the middle. Now, the OLB is traditionally the position that has the faster LB's, where as the MLB is more of a downhill type player, like Trotter. Williams likes to do things differently. He likes his OLB's bigger, so they can take on the Tackles, TE's, and absorb the blocks while the quicker MLB shoots the gaps to get the QB or stuff the run. That's why we've had converted OLB's in the middle last year, and will again this coming season, in L. Marshall. He likes quickness and coverage ability in the middle.

Good work.. Nice research.. and to top it off, I agree with everything you said

We do have lots of young lb's on the roster. Obviously there are concerns about experience. But we just need a couple to step up from the list of Lemar, Clifton Smith, Khary Campbell, Brian Allen, Brandon Barnes, Chris Clemons, Devin Lemons, and Joe Tuipala. I suspect we will be just fine and if Barrow returns to health - that's even better.

Originally posted by FS36

Urlacher played safety in college and was projected at OLB by most teams, Simoneau played OLB for alot of last season, and Peterson played OLB until he was picked up by the Jags a couple of seasons ago.

Originally posted by jnova

We wont Draft a MLB 3rd round. Marshall has learned the sceme to well.

Agreed.. I will surprised as hell if he doesn't start at MLB this year, even if Barrow is healthy. He'll ahve to lose his starting job in pre-season imo.

Originally posted by Leonard Washington

i think the trend is towards smaller LBs b/c they can be true 3 down players b/c aren't a major weakness in coverage. the only downside would be if your DTs can't do their job and you make your MLB shed blocks to make the tackle.

This is where our Dline doesn't get enough credit.. Backs don't get through our line untouched.. They are either tackled outright or are slowed enough for our backers to swarm.. GW has our boys getting after the ball carrier very aggressively..

Originally posted by Chopper Dave

Urlacher played safety in college and was projected at OLB by most teams, Simoneau played OLB for alot of last season, and Peterson played OLB until he was picked up by the Jags a couple of seasons ago.

Then this seems to indicate that this has been the trend for several years now; looking for speed in the middle.

Wonder where the NFL is going to be 5 years down the road, considering safeties are getting bigger and stronger since they are asked to play the run more, and LB's are getting faster b/c they are asked to drop into coverage more. What's the next natural step of evolution. Will the NFL be looking for interior defensive linemen who weigh 270-290 lbs but can also run a 4.5sec 40?

Archived