Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

skins and donnie darko

unsonny

I LOVE this movie...first time I saw it in theatres something like 4 years ago, I was blown away. Of course, having the characters watching a Skins game and seeing Doug Williams on their TV screen was icing on the cake...lol...

As for the ending, there are multiple takes on it, from Donnie being a "Jesus-like" martyr who had to die to save the world, to the whole thing being a psychotic dream of a schizophrenic teenager...

Originally posted by Califan007

As for the ending, there are multiple takes on it, from Donnie being a "Jesus-like" martyr who had to die to save the world, to the whole thing being a psychotic dream of a schizophrenic teenager...

On a side note Wanda Sikes is a die hard skins fan!

Anyways, the ending of Donnie Darko is a metaphor for love and sacrifice. He chooses to allow himself to die before even meeting the girl so as to change the outcome of the Halloween party. She never meets him and never gets hit by the car.

Great movie! I was tripping when the family was watching the Skins!

Originally posted by illone

On a side note Wanda Sikes is a die hard skins fan!

Anyways, the ending of Donnie Darko is a metaphor for love and sacrifice. He chooses to allow himself to die before even meeting the girl so as to change the outcome of the Halloween party. She never meets him and never gets hit by the car.

Great movie! I was tripping when the family was watching the Skins!

I got the indication that Donnie knew more would be changed/saved beyond his girlfriend's death by choosing to "go home" again and let things occur the way they were supposed to all along...but yeah, the realization that he would save Gretchen's life was the one thing that the "universe" knew would finally make things click in his mind, and have him do what needed to be done...

Originally posted by Skins11

That was a great scene when they were kicking back watching the Skins.

Where was the story supposed to take place, like Iowa or something? Did the Skins' influence really reach that far??

I just assumed it was taking place in Virginia...lol...having Donnie's friend say "they need to go for a safety" cracked me up.. :laugh:

Originally posted by Califan007

I just assumed it was taking place in Virginia...lol...having Donnie's friend say "they need to go for a safety" cracked me up.. :laugh:

Yeah that was great. The story takes place in Middlesex, Iowa, supposedly.

Entertaining movie to watch, but the plot ended up being weak... it wasn't all that. I think if all my friends weren't constantly saying the plot was "deep" and "profound" before I actually watched the movie, I would have thought it was better. I really appreciated the Skins being in it though.

Entertaining movie to watch, but the plot ended up being weak... it wasn't all that. I think if all my friends weren't constantly saying the plot was "deep" and "profound" before I actually watched the movie, I would have thought it was better. I really appreciated the Skins being in it though.

Well, in a way it was a "teen angst" film like John Hughes, but with issues of paranoid schizophrenia, physics, tangent universes, time travel, destiny and the reality of God...the way it ends creates a catalyst for viewers to start talking about all these topics.

And Iowa??...You sure??...lol :) Damn...Why Iowa, of all places?? I'm guessing Richard Kelly is just a huge Skins fan to have his Iowa characters fans of the team as well..

it actually takes place in a fictional town in virginia, if you look at the plates on the cars they are all virginia plates and if you go to www.donniedarko.com they have fake court documents from Fairfax County

Originally posted by chomerics

Yea, the messanic figure for Donnie symbolizing Christ was a bit much, but I do see how they could come to that conclusion. I do like the Dues Ex Machina quote as well as the you are not an athesist, you are agnostic.

The bible stuff makes for great cinema... Besides, not nearly as bad as ET or Star Wars in the biblical sense.

I don't know if its still up but the website used to be super crazy.--

I thought the directors cut explained too much. I liked how I had to watch the old version 10 times to pick up everything. I also dig directors that really hammer out a good soundtrack for their movie. i.e. Cohen Bros movies and "The Rules of Attraction" soundtrack.

My roomate in college at JMU was a film major and huge film buff. We went to see a special showing Donnie Darko in the campus theater where we all watched the movie with the director and then afterwards there was a Q&A session with him.

The director Richard Kelly was really cool. He was around 28-29 at the time. He is from the Newport News area. My questionwas to actually ask him about the Skins stuff. Said he was a huge Skins fan and I think he said he had to really fight to keep it in the movie.

We actually screened movies with several directors in college at JMU such as a Clerks Mallrats double feature with Kevin Smith and A Bronx Tale with Chazz Palminteri. Bruce Campbell from the Evil Dead movies was here this semester.

-Arkowi

Originally posted by arkowi

My roomate in college at JMU was a film major and huge film buff. We went to see a special showing Donnie Darko in the campus theater where we all watched the movie with the director and then afterwards there was a Q&A session with him.

The director Richard Kelly was really cool. He was around 28-29 at the time. He is from the Newport News area. My questionwas to actually ask him about the Skins stuff. Said he was a huge Skins fan and I think he said he had to really fight to keep it in the movie.

We actually screened movies with several directors in college at JMU such as a Clerks Mallrats double feature with Kevin Smith and A Bronx Tale with Chazz Palminteri. Bruce Campbell from the Evil Dead movies was here this semester.

-Arkowi

I wonder why he had to fight to keep in the Redskins scenes??...

To get back on the Redskins tip I am pretty sure the announcer in the game says...

"Mark Rypien has some pretty big shoes to fill."

...while a shot of Doug Williams is being shown.

That maybe filed under things you missed the first time around.

It played in NYC at Pioneed Two Boots theatre until about a year ago.

The Skins dialogue goes something like:

(Announcer) "It's been a disappointing night for the Super Bowl champions..."

"You're right, Dan..."

"Joe Gibbs is on the sidelines, water dripping from his glasses. He's gotta be thinking, 'What went wrong tonight?'..."

"And here's the kick....it's no good!"

(Character #1 from film) "****, we need a quarterback"

(Character #2) "And a miracle"

(Character #3) "We need to go for a safety..."

(Characters #1 and #2 look over at #3 with expressions that say, "You're an idiot!")

(Announcer) "What the future holds for this Super Bowl MVP, we'll just have to wait and see..." (Shot of Doug Williams attempting a pass in slow motion)

Heh, guess I was wrong about the Iowa stuff. Sorry for misleading whoever trusted me (never put your trust in me again). I could have sworn there was something concrete to make me think it happened in Iowa... oh well.

Originally posted by Danny Montana

Decent movie, but vastly overrated. Kind of surprised it has reached such cult status.

It works great as an 80s period piece though, which is undoubtably a big aspect of its appeal. And Swayze was great casting for that role.

Agreed completely.

Yeah, movie takes place in VA, and Donnie is supposed to be from Fairfax County.

On a side note, if you guys like movies like DD, then check out Mulholland Drive.

(after you watch it, let me know if you do the same thing I did with the people I watched it with. Stared at the screen while the credits roled, then looked at each other, all of us with gazes on our face that read, "w........t...........f?")

Archived