Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles/Falcons & Raiders/Patriots Week 1 Primetime Games

Eagles_Legendz

I'm surprised that both Super Bowl teams have to open on the road. But those are some pretty good matchups.

Indy/Baltimore should be good too.

The only question I have is, who cares that Dallas is playing San Diego week one? Why not release the entire first week?

Originally posted by kevhow

the other two announced games are Dallas at San Diego and Baltimore/Indy on Sunday night

Dallas at San Diego is the 2nd game of the nationally televised double header on Fox.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/032205cpcowboyopener.15e1e9e1f.html

Cowboys to open at San Diego

03:25 PM CST on Monday, March 21, 2005

By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News

KAPALUA, Hawaii -- The Cowboys will open the season at San Diego on Sunday, Sept. 11 against the AFC West champion Chargers as the second game of Fox’s national doubleheader.

The game will start at 3:15 p.m.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue revealed the televised openers Monday at his state-of-the-league address at the NFL’s annual owners’ meeting.

The remainder of the schedule will be revealed at a later date.

The Chargers, led by quarterback Drew Brees, were upset in the first round of the playoffs by the New York Jets.

Dallas last played San Diego on Sept. 21, 2001, and lost 32-21 at Texas Stadium.

The Cowboys will spend a lot of time out West this season. Besides a pre-season game at Arizona, Dallas will play at San Franciso, Seattle and Oakland.

I guess it's alright. They could certainly have done a better matchup than Raiders and Patriots..

There was a definite storyline to the Colts and Patriots last year, and even the Redskins and Jets two years ago. Something about Patriots vs Raiders doesn't really excite me except for being able to see Randy Moss on a different team.

The Colts and Ravens game should be interesting.

I would rather have had the Eagles and Falcons as the opener but oh well.

Originally posted by mcees4life

FOOTBALL IS BACK...........and i can't wait. The NFL opener in the Black Hole and Vick vs. McNabb in the Monday Night opener. Should be good

The opener is not in Oakland, it is in New England. According to the article on NFL.COM this will be the case from now on. The superbowl champ will always host the opening game. I for one am excited to see the Patriots again. If you appreciate good football you have to love watching the Pats. I believe this will be the first visit for Oakland to NE since the infamous tuck rule game. I could be wrong about that though.

Confirmed...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8314212

NFL announces nationally televised Kickoff Weekend games

(March 21, 2005) -- The NFL announced four key games of its 2005 Kickoff Weekend that begins with the debut of the Super Bowl XXXIX champion New England Patriots on Thursday night, Sept. 8 and concludes on Monday night with a rematch of last year's NFC Championship Game.

In a tradition that was instituted last year, the Super Bowl champion now hosts the NFL Thursday night season kickoff the next year. This year on ABC at 9 p.m. ET, the Patriots will take on the Oakland Raiders. The game will feature the Raiders' debut of wide receiver Randy Moss, and will be Oakland's first visit to New England since the teams' memorable 2001 AFC Divisional Playoff "blizzard" game.

On Sunday, Sept. 11, the FOX national doubleheader game at 4:15 p.m. ET will feature the Dallas Cowboys at the San Diego Chargers. For Dallas, it will be the debut of their new quarterback, 13-year veteran Drew Bledsoe. For the Chargers, they will launch the defense of their AFC West title under quarterback Drew Brees, the 2004 NFL Comeback Player of the Year

The Sunday night primetime game (8:30 p.m. ET) on ESPN will be a clash of offense vs. defense when the Indianapolis Colts visit the Baltimore Ravens. It will be the Colts' high-powered offensive trio of quarterback Peyton Manning, running back Edgerrin James and wide receiver Marvin Harrison against the Ravens' staunch defense led by linebacker Ray Lewis and safety Ed Reed, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year who led the league in interceptions last season with nine

The Sept. 12 Monday night opener on ABC at 9:00 p.m. ET will be a rematch of last season's NFC Championship Game featuring two of the NFL's most exciting quarterbacks -- the visiting Philadelphia Eagles' Donovan McNabb against the Atlanta Falcons' Michael Vick. The Eagles defeated the Falcons in last January's championship game, 27-10.

Also on Sunday, Sept. 11, CBS, which has U.S. Open tennis in the late time slot, will carry a lineup of early regional NFL games. CBS will televise the NFL national doubleheader late game in Week 2.

The announcement of the Kickoff Weekend games was made by NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue at the NFL Annual Meeting in Maui, Hawaii.

The rest of the 2005 regular-season schedule will be announced at a later date.

Archived