1. 1. Vote on your favorite minor villain in Star Wars

• Greedo
    • Darth Maul
    • Jabba the Hut
    • Boba Fett
    • Jango Fett
    • Count Dooku

from Friday's Redskin.com article :

One of the interesting parts of Lewis's defense is that it does not distinguish between the two safety positions. While most defenses identify a strong safety and a free safety, Lewis believes the two positions are interchangeable. For someone like Ohalete, who, at 6-2, 220 pounds, can play either position, that philosophy seems to work in his favor.

My bet is that, if we don't acquire another safety, that Ohalete unseats Terrell for the starting spot at some point

Here's another interesting bit about a player who a lot of people have already counted out :

Even though Kevin Lockett is one of a just a handful of receivers held over from last year's team, he seems to be a prototypical Spurrier receiver. At 6-0, 186 pounds, Lockett has the quickness that is typical of a Fun-N-Gun receiver.I think this offense suits me better than the offenses I've been in before," Lockett said. "If you look around at some of the players coach Spurrier brought in--Reidel Anthony, Jacquez Green--we're all about the same size. I'm excited to play in this offense because it will give me an opportunity to use my quickness and route-running ability to get open and catch more balls."

Steve Spurrier Jr., the Redskins wide receivers coach, agrees with Lockett's assessment of his ability to fit in the current system.

"His biggest strengths are quickness, knowledge, smarts and hands," Spurrier said. "He knows the game, knows every position, and can really catch the ball. He brings a lot to our offense. He's going to be a guy we expect to contribute for us this year."

it sure would be nice to see younger players like Ohalete who play cheap come up and make a real contribution like Pierce did last year :)

we have been crying for help at safety for 10 years!

As for Lockett, perhaps there is a silver lining here as well. His performance in 2001 was spotty enough to make me think the team should have gone with some of the younger players at times as the #3.

If Lockett and Russell do factor into the team's plans that could mean some of the bigger receivers like McCants and Skaggs could be early cuts.

Originally posted by Mick

"His biggest strengths are quickness, knowledge, smarts and hands," Spurrier said. "He knows the game, knows every position, and can really catch the ball. He brings a lot to our offense. He's going to be a guy we expect to contribute for us this year."

those are pretty good strengths, what would his weaknesses be, not wrapping up when tackling? sounds like Lockett might be a nice fantasy sleeper this year.

Originally posted by Rykins99

I think Shade will fit in nicely he is a great tackler

Really? I've seen a number of plays where he made failed arm tackles or missed altogether. He also doesn't seem to have the wheels to close on plays moving laterally or to his rear. This causes him to trail on plays that end up being big gains for the opposition.

Maybe he's a good straight-ahead run tackler. But don't get distracted by a high number of tackles on his ledger -- it's the nature of the strong safety position to have a lot of tackles.

As for Terrell, I recall he used to make a lot of really great special teams plays. There were a number of times when I'd see him airborne at the goal line, keeping a punt from become a touchback, or tackling the returner for little or no gain on a solo tackle. I'm not sure about his future as a safety, but it would suit me find if he were the designated speed tackler on special teams.

It surprises me to hear all the recent talk, slamming Lockett and saying he couldnt make the team. That's why I posted the Redskin quotes. But more importantly, his play last season was enough proof. Apparently, a lot of people have since forgotten his clutch plays. Here were some quotes of mine and others during a game in 2001

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6499&highlight=Lockett

If we had weaker corners, I am sure that our weakness in cover safeties would be exposed. But since we have such good lockdown corners, Shade doesn't look that horrible when he can come up and play in the box. I'd like to see Ohalate unseat him so we can unload his ridiculous cap number, but that remains to be seen.

ASF- I agree with his tackling way out in no mans land.. however, I think he is an invaluable blitzer..

I agree if we can have Ohalete unseat him that would be great for the salary cap.. as far as terell I think that he is a great special teamer and back up corner but he lacks the impact play. What we should do is trade shade and coleman for john lynch!!!!!

Did Chad Cota sign anywhere yet?? that would be a great pick up..

Interesting observation about the lack of distinction in Lewis' defense between FS and SS. That probably explains why guys like Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake have transitioned from CB to safety in that system, as they can both play run and pass with good proficiency. That's probably just the result of fewer teams playing with the right side as their strong side from play to play, given the penchant for more unusual formations and motion that we see in most modern passing offenses.

What's also interesting is that that may mean that a player's weakness may not mean as much in this defense. For example, if it doesn't matter as much that Shade plays on the traditional strong side, opposite of the offenses right side where the TE plays, then it may be harder for an opposing offense to try to create a passing mismatch against him.

Also, the interchangeabilty of the safeties could mean that we could see a safety platoon, with Ohalete replacing Terrell on running downs, and Shade on passing downs for example.

Originally posted by redman

Interesting observation about the lack of distinction in Lewis' defense between FS and SS ... What's also interesting is that that may mean that a player's weakness may not mean as much in this defense.

I disagree -- it would seem that the best safeties for Lewis's offense would need be strong against both run and pass.

I haven't studied Lewis's schemes, but one obvious advantage strikes me in eliminating the distinction between the safeties -- it might help to disguise defensive schemes. Normally one of a QB's key reads (maybe *the* key read) before and immediately after the snap is the free safety. How the free safety commits will tell a lot about whether coverage is zone or man, along with other finer distinctions.

With two guys who can each play run or pass support, it should be easier to disguise defensive schemes, which increases the likelihood that the offense will make a mistake.

I think Marvin will fall in love with Shade's run support and start him along with Ohalate at FS. I haven't studied Marv's defense either, and the only play I can remember is Stephen Davis smashing Woodson in the face on his way for a TD. Hopefully this will not happen to Shade or Ohalate :rolleyes:

LOL yea .. gotta love franchise mode of madden. I traded stephen davis (underrated in the game) for jevon kearse, .. got a high draft pick out of it, and signed dorsey levens (overrated in that game).. also signed sam adams and was well under the cap :rolleyes:

Three more months before Madden 2003 comes out and I wonder if it will have the new helmet and unis.

A Safety combo of Terrell with a year of experience now and Ohalete should give us excellent pass coverage from those spots.

Archived