Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Coles Satus Unsure

Sanders 83

Coles' status unsure

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20050223-122443-5441r.htm

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The future of Washington Redskins wide receiver Laveranues Coles grew murkier yesterday as an NFL spokesman said a trade could be killed at the 11th hour based on the signing bonus "give-back" scenario the two sides had discussed.

NFL vice president of public relations Greg Aiello couldn't say whether Coles would be permitted to waive the final installment of his $13Â million signing bonus, an unusual move that would facilitate his departure from Washington.

"I have no answer to that question," Aiello said in a telephone interview. "That totally depends on what is being proposed."

Coles' offer to forgo a $5 million payment April 1 was crucial to any scenario in which he left town. Without the resulting salary cap adjustment -- Washington would suffer a net loss of only $928,000 instead of being crushed by cap "acceleration" -- the Redskins wouldn't have enough cap room to deal Coles.

The Redskins and Coles, according to sources familiar with the talks, were discussing alternate scenarios to make the trade palatable. One option was to have Coles convert the $5 million into a roster bonus, which would have the same cap effect without a possible roadblock from the NFL Management Council.

But Coles would have less control over his destination in that scenario and his camp was said to be balking at it. Ultimately, the situation remained precarious as Coles held on to his leverage and the Redskins remained determined to get something of value in return for his departure.

Coles' dispute with Washington became public this week. He is frustrated with coach Joe Gibbs' conservative offense, which was at least partly why he generated just 950 yards on 90 catches last season. The club, meanwhile, dislikes Coles' recent attitude and his refusal to undergo surgery on his ailing right big toe.

Even if the Redskins navigate the cap implications of Coles' departure, it would be just the first step in a difficult journey. Washington still would have to find a trade partner, determine trade compensation, and have the new team settle contract issues with Coles, perhaps in the form of a restructuring.

The Redskins have discussed a trade with the New York Jets, for whom Coles played his first three NFL seasons. Washington signed Coles away from the Jets in 2003, giving him a seven-year, $35Â million contract and shipping the Jets a first-round pick as compensation.

Jets defensive end John Abraham, who has 43 sacks in five seasons, apparently has been mentioned in trade talks. The sides also could work out a deal for one or more draft picks. In addition, another team could enter the bidding at the NFL Scouting Combine this week in Indianapolis.

For now, Tuesday remains the deadline for a trade agreement. If Coles were to waive his bonus payment after Tuesday, the cap credit wouldn't come until 2006, and the deal effectively would be killed.

Coles' trade value remains uncertain, mainly because of the toe injury. He has been injured since Week 3 of 2003, and there have been questions about his deep speed. However, one high-ranking personnel official in the NFL said there appears to be significant league-wide interest in the 2003 Pro Bowl pick.

If Washington were unable to trade Coles, it isn't clear what might happen. On Monday, Gibbs strongly denied a report that Coles was likely to be released, and the coach indicated the team is prepared to play the 2005 season with him.

Meanwhile, the Redskins' options at wide receiver decreased by one as Jerry Porter re-signed with the Oakland Raiders. Washington appears very interested in former Tennessee Titans wide receiver Derrick Mason, who led NFL wideouts with 96 catches last season but was cut this week in a cap purge.

Notes -- The Redskins chipped away at their cap issues again, cutting defensive tackle Jermaine Haley and offensive tackle Vaughn Parker. The moves didn't generate much spending room, netting less than $1Â million. The Redskins also are attempting to restructure the contract of right guard Randy Thomas, a move that would save about $1.6Â million of space. ...

The club has raised the fee for green permit parking lots at FedEx Field from $20Â per game to $25, bringing those lots into parity with the cost of all other cash and permit parking at the stadium.

Originally posted by stompkins

F Coles. I say if he doesnt do all he can for us to try and help him leave..since HE is the one quiting...then make him stay and be miserable. Just put him in a seperate locker room ;)

Yeah. Make him change with the cheerleaders. Wait, on second thought...

:laugh:

Well, from the latest report about Coles NOT willing to return the money UNLESS he is released out right seems to be a DI C move... I mean we gave up a 1st rounder for this quitter! I say let him cry and whine as much as he can! When he sees how well our team is doing with his whiny, bit-chin, cryin arse on the bench, he will turn around and get on his knees to Lord Gibbs for forgiveness!

That is how I felt as soon as I heard about this, I wont say F coles cause he has made me a fan of him with his toughness and heart yet at the same time I feel like he is acting like a step child that has not gotten any attention.

He will stay if we cant trade him, he ll play and do great next season cause he knows he cant hold back, it will only decrease his value when the skins dump him like a bad habbit the following year!! (btw can he be released without any cap implications the follwoing season or he still needs to be traded?)

:helmet:

This article actually sounds refreshing to me to a degree. It sounds like we are going to wait til the combine to see what kind of offers we get for Coles. Which is the smartest thing to do. Have teams bid against each other that way we will get something in return possibly more value than we should have for him. But it sounds like the combine is where all the work is going to transpire in getting rid of Coles and getting something in return.

This article sounds more positive than the WP article this morning.

For someone that wants to leave so badly does he really have any leverage to say release me or I'm not giving the money back? If I was the FO. I'd just say, you either do it this way...or you play out the remainder of your contract that YOU signed.

Sounds like to me we have the upper hand in this situation.

Originally posted by Mickalino

A year ago, all you guys were hailing him as a "team player" and "hard worker", and a disciplined, unselfish, dependable guy, with a great work ethic., the ultimate Redskin. What happened ? Who changed ? You or him ?

I think it's pretty obvious.

Originally posted by Mickalino

A year ago, all you guys were hailing him as a "team player" and "hard worker", and a disciplined, unselfish, dependable guy, with a great work ethic., the ultimate Redskin. What happened ? Who changed ? You or him ?

He seemed like a team guy, true, but now he sounds like a whiney little school girl.

He caught 90 balls, 90.

He dropped several as well.

The whole offense struggled last year, and instead of trying to help make it better, he wants out.

If it works out good for us to deal him, then great, deal him.

However, if it is going to hurt us cap wise, meaning he will not give up the bonus money...

Then make him stay, he has a contract. If he is unhappy, let him be unhappy on the damn bench.

Converting the $5 mil payment due into a 2005 Roster Bonus is something that I thought about yesterday. Until I realized that would immediately add $3.224 to our cap coming into free agency. That hit would remain until he was traded, but wouldn't take effect until March 2nd. Theoretically the conversion and trade could all happen on the 2nd but I don't know if we have $3.224 cap space right now. Is this why Barrow isn't being signed?

This is the problem with the way that our cap has been managed. A lot of assumptions have been made and if they all pan out then we are fine, but if a few things go wrong then there is no room to solve problems.

Archived