Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTEM Is a Washington Joke

bulldog

This station bills itself as the flagship of Washington sports and yet decided they weren't going to bid on coverage for either the Redskins or the new baseball Nationals.

And to make matters worse when the decision came out today on the fact Z-104 FM would be covering the Nats games this summer, the WTEM drive time show spent 20 minutes bad-mouthing the new station and telling everyone how poor of a deal it would have been for WTEM to sign on for the inaugural season.

Totally classless.

If you don't want to bid on the Nats coverage, fine. But don't hold it out there AFTERWARD that to get 'real' coverage on the team listeners should tune in to WTEM BEFORE and AFTER the game broadcasts :laugh: :laugh:

The reason I posted this message here in Fedex is the equally classless way the hosts of the drive time show have characterized what evidently is dissatisfaction with the way Joe Gibbs feels he was treated by the on-air personalities during the season.

Evidently, poor old Joe was offended by the fact Andy Pollin took cheap shots at his religious beliefs and Steve Czabin bordered on calling him incompetent, and then kissed his butt once he came on the air on Mondays to do his show.

Imagine that? :)

WTEM is positioning itself to be irrelevant in the sports landscape over time.

I suppose it is only a matter of time before the Wizards find another place to call home? :cheers:

That station used to be pretty objective. Even Andy Pollin used to be normal. Now it seems like they've taken a page out of Don and Mike. If they keep bad mouthing Joe, I think theyre going to find that they're not as popular as they may think, and their fan following is nowhere near as strong as that of Joe Gibbs.

Originally posted by bulldog

WTEM is positioning itself to be irrelevant in the sports landscape over time.

Since when has WTEM been relevant? They lost the Redskins 9 years ago and now their low rent ways have cost them the Nationals. If the Wizards continue to improve, trust me, they're not staying on WTEM.

WTEM's lineup consists of national sports shows, a guy who doesn't like to talk about sports, a former basketball coach who's great when talking basketball but admits to not knowing much of anything else in sports, and two drive time boobs who can't admit they know nothing.

I try to listen to Bram Weinstein sometimes, because at least he is the Redskins beat reporter and goes to Redskin Park but even he seems to suffer from WTEMitis. He had an entire segment last Saturday talking about how the Redskins will/should look into Randy Moss' availability. Of course, Joe Gibbs put this whole Randy Moss trade to bed several weeks ago but he and his crew speculated anyway.

I really wish another DC sports alternative emerged, but WTEM's ratings must be pretty low and no one sees a reason to get involved in the all sports format.

WTEM-"Official Redskins Station":moon:

the entire drive time show is made up of sarcastic and often antagonistic personalities vis a vis the teams.

Kornheiser continually rips the Caps even when their season is cancelled. Geez, I think the NHL is a mickey mouse league right now compared to the Big Three just like everyone else, but do you have to keep harping on the point day after day?

Pollin seems personally offended by Joe Gibbs' Christian beliefs. Tough toenails :laugh:

When Gibbs came back Pollin was all aglow with getting a .700 coach back in the saddle and yet he seems to have forgotten all the religious overtones of that first Gibbs era with players such as Darrell Green, Tim Johnson, etc.

Czaban is just a fool. He clearly is out of his element talking about hockey and baseball. That much was evident from today's show.

His observations about the Redskins are what high school sophomores come up with.

the only thing he seems to follow with a passion is college basketball, and of course he loves the Terps because they have an established, winning program.

Just wait for Gary to have a losing season or a bad recruiting year and Czaban will be all over that as he is with the pro sports teams here.

I've boycotted Comcast post-game since they replaced Don Warren with Czaban. Don Warren would point out detailed observations about the game just played, and wouldn't necessarily be gentle if there was criticism due, but all Czaban did was exactly what Bulldog said - make comments that sounded like they were coming from a high school kid that didn't even watch the game.

Originally posted by bulldog

The reason I posted this message here in Fedex is the equally classless way the hosts of the drive time show have characterized what evidently is dissatisfaction with the way Joe Gibbs feels he was treated by the on-air personalities during the season.

How are they characterizing it? Man, this is some juicy stuff...like when my wife reads US Weekly:D

I totally disagree - They are not a joke - they are not funny enough - they are more like a pun. If I was gracious I would say they are more like practical joke…like fake dog doo, or a hand under the armpit fart.

That is except for PTI, The John Thompson Show (they are all good there) and the sports updates.

I used to listen to Czaban, but we love what Joe has done for the Redskins: he wins 3 Superbowls, he comes back (giving up ownership in Atlanta (small), and gets ridiculed for his faith, as being greedy, accused of dishonestY, and being incompetent and his staff has Alzheimer’s - all on a regular basis.

It’s sickening. I drive 100 miles a day on the beltway, but I am quick to turn the station when I start to hear the constant putdowns and insults of Gibbs. Criticism him based on his football decisions, if you like, but not all of them are bad, and don't constantly criticize.

Nobody likes a constant nag, nag, nag; you are bad, bad, bad, stupid, dumb, greedy, blah, blah, and blah.

The John Thompson show is really saved by Doc Walker. I think he does a great job on it.

JT adds some insight of being a former coach and the rigors of that (which transcends all sports as a coach) and Al Koken is there to be the silly white guy that bad mouths everyone.

I'll listen to them. Kornheiser I tried to, but as was said he doesn't talk about sports. I am listening to a sports radio station for A REASON. If I wanted to talk about what people wore at the Grammy's I can watch E.

I am rarely in the car during Czabe and Pollin. But from what I have heard of Czabe he is an utter boob when it comes to complex matters such as the salary cap and game day decisions. Posters on here know a lot more then he does.

I have regarded Andy Pollin as a joke for years. The way he used to bad mouth the Caps in the late 90s turned me off.

And now the fact that they do not have the Nationals makes me laugh more. These guys are not going to be on for much longer

No these guys are funny, I know we love Joe, but the point of Sportstalk is to criticize and comment, that's what it's there for, how would you like it if a certain network wasn't allowed to ask questions to public servants, cause the public servant didn't like was said about them. Sorry Joe Gibbs, you have won three superbowls the town loves you, but your not above criticism, criticize them back, I'd enjoy you ripping on Czaban on his own show.

Kornheiser is the man, I'd rather listen to his accounts on life, then hear about the Nationals backup catcher. There ain't nothing wrong with WTEM

I agree with most of the sentiment here. It is frustrating to love sports radio and have to listen to WTEM. I can only take them is very small doses and can't wait until I can pick up WFAN in NY at night...and I am from DC. I would rather hear 'real' sports talk than the dribble from Steve and Andy.

They can't talk about the Wizards or Caps. Jump on and off the Terp bandwagon and probably barely know 3 players for the Hoyas. Thier Nationals converage will be terrible.

I'm going to make it a point to write the station and I hope others will also. The e-mail addresses are:

Operations Manager: todcastleberry@clearchannel.com

General Sales Manager: kaiyaramsey@clearchannel.com

For more:

http://www.wtem.com/contact/stationinfo.html

Archived