Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

poll: guns

PokerPacker

Originally posted by Huly

It just does not make any sense to me. What if you are sleeping and can not get to it, or a kid comes in your house being a stupid young kid and plays with the gun and kills himself.

Every child should have to take a firearm class. Your example is the reason. Kids do things that help satisfy their curiosity. In the case of firearms, parents think just because they can keep them from THEIR kids, that they are safe. That is so wrong.

As a parent, teaching a child is the only way to ensure their safety. There are too many instances in their child and teenage years where they will be tested. Trust your children to make quality decisions when they are given the proper knowledge.

This year, my oldest turns seven. By the time the summer is over he will shoot a 12 guage shotgun with me. Thing is, he will only do it one time. The power of a shotgun can only be felt, not seen or discussed. I will hold the gun, he will pull the trigger. I plan on him shooting a melon of some description. When he sees what happens to the melon, he will be scared. This is exactly how a person needs to feel around a firearm. At an older age being scared turns into respect.

I would recommend to all parents that you have your children at least take a firearm safety course. Even if you plan never to have a gun in your house.

Sadly, I lost my best friend when I was 12-13 because he was playing with a boy who had access to a gun.The boy apparently played russian roulette at his house as my friend was running out the door. I was gone that weekend with my dad hunting. My mother ended up taking his poor soul to the hospital.

I am rambling a bit, but this is not about what should be legal. Give your kids the knowledge. They will need it.

Originally posted by Jody

You'll only be taking them away from the wrong people, why can't you see that?

Not if we can enforce the laws.... why can't you see that?

Look above - kid gets killed while playing with a gun.... this is something WE CAN change.

I still can not comprehend why guns are so important to you. Our society does a lot of things that are not healthy for us like smoking etc and yes cars kill people, my brother was killed from being hit by a car, but guns are intended to cause death, cars are not. I am just tired of seeing animals injured by hunters for sport, and kids killed while watching tv in their own house because of a drive by shooting.

To me guns are pointless. They do not have any good purpose. The only good points people have noted are 1. Target practice (use a bow and arrow) and 2. Protect family (get a dog or alarm system) (nothing is 100% perfect for protection not even a gun).

I am not trying to be rude to any of y'all, I just do not get it!

Originally posted by pez

Not if we can enforce the laws.... why can't you see that?

Look above - kid gets killed while playing with a gun.... this is something WE CAN change.

Do not take my account out of context, pal.

Kids can also die running out on streets. Does this mean we need to ban automobiles?

No, you teach your kids not to play in the street.

Re-read my post before you spin it for you own gain. You just pissed me off. My point was to teach kids the dangers so they can make a quality decision.

:evil:

That's something his parents should've prevented. Do you let a baby play with scissors? No you don't. So you don't let 8 year olds play with guns. Pretty simple huh.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off the wrong way about this, but this is something I feel very strongly about. I've been around guns my entire life, and I've never used one for anything but sporting.

It's not the gun that needs regulated, it's the nutcase behind it that's making respectable gun owners look bad. Let's start there first.

That's something his parents should've prevented. Do you let a baby play with scissors? No you don't. So you don't let 8 year olds play with guns. Pretty simple huh.

Sadly, that is exactly correct. And teaching a child the danger of handling a firearm is no different in my mind then teaching a child that fire can burn.

Or do not play behind a car.

Or look both ways when crossing the street.

and on and on.

the answer is not to put blinders on your kids and say "Guns are bad, stay away."

It is not just kids getting killed, it is innocent people. I agree most of it is done by nutcases by why let it continue. We need to try to do something as a society to stop it.

Example hunting, I as a person hate hunting, but I understand why people hunt and I do not mind it as much if they 1. shoot to kill and 2. Eat what they killed.

I hate hunting if you shoot for sport and leave me to clean up the mess you made of whatever you shot. That ticks me off!

Why not as a society try to find a way to stop some of the criminal why do we let them get away with and we are now to the point where you have to keep a gun in your house to feel safe. What kind of life is that?

And Portisizzle I am sorry about your friend, it is hard to loose anyone, but the child I referenced was the 8-10 year old girl on the news that was in her house watching tv and was killed by a stray bullet from a drive by shooting. The sad part is lately that is all you see on the news!

It's the RIGHT to keep and bear firearms that helps to guarantee the others. As for "protecting from British troops"...the war was over. It was put in there to protect us from our OWN government.

Outlawing handguns is a bad law. Look at DC. Kids being killed? Definition of "kid" please. Under 18? How many of those deaths are kids killing kids in the 'hood with illegal guns? Should they have them? Hell no. Do they? Hell yes. Why do they get them? It's a social problem. It's a status "gangsta" mentality. It's in the music, the environment, and the people they hold as heroes. That's the main problem with kids getting killed that make up the vast majority of statistics.

Guns are not the problem. Irresponsible people are. I can load my weapon of choice, take the safety off, put it on a table, walk away and it will harm no one. But the second an irresponsible person handles it, all bets are off. (I know, it's irresponsible to do the things I said, but play along for sh*ts and grins.)

I have no problems with guns. Automatic ones make no sense to me.

If I had a vote, I'd vote those illegal. But, I don't feel too strongly about it.

I don't hunt either, but I'd think there would be more accomplishment from bow hunting over using some automatic gun.... or just a gun at all.

I still can not comprehend why guns are so important to you. Our society does a lot of things that are not healthy for us like smoking etc and yes cars kill people, my brother was killed from being hit by a car, but guns are intended to cause death, cars are not. I am just tired of seeing animals injured by hunters for sport, and kids killed while watching tv in their own house because of a drive by shooting.

To me guns are pointless. They do not have any good purpose. The only good points people have noted are 1. Target practice (use a bow and arrow) and 2. Protect family (get a dog or alarm system) (nothing is 100% perfect for protection not even a gun).

I am not trying to be rude to any of y'all, I just do not get it!

You've got to be kidding, a bow and arrow. That could be more deadly than any firearm!

Yes, I enjoy killing animals, that may sound sick to you, but it's a sport that I enjoy, any by the way is perfectly leagal.

I also have firearms for protecting my home and family. And I do have an alarm system, and two healthy sized Boxers, and let me tell you I sleep very well at night as does my wife.

:cheers:

Originally posted by portisizzle

Sadly, that is exactly correct. And teaching a child the danger of handling a firearm is no different in my mind then teaching a child that fire can burn.

Or do not play behind a car.

Or look both ways when crossing the street.

and on and on.

the answer is not to put blinders on your kids and say "Guns are bad, stay away."

Brother, you are 100%, right on the money.

Jody:cheers:

You've got to be kidding, a bow and arrow. That could be more deadly than any firearm!

Yes, I enjoy killing animals, that may sound sick to you, but it's a sport that I enjoy, any by the way is perfectly leagal.

I also have firearms for protecting my home and family. And I do have an alarm system, and two healthy sized Boxers, and let me tell you I sleep very well at night as does my wife.

:cheers:

damn dude, I know things have gotten worse. But where do you live? Crenshaw? ;)

It is not just kids getting killed, it is innocent people. I agree most of it is done by nutcases by why let it continue. We need to try to do something as a society to stop it.

Example hunting, I as a person hate hunting, but I understand why people hunt and I do not mind it as much if they 1. shoot to kill and 2. Eat what they killed.

I hate hunting if you shoot for sport and live me to clean up the mess you made of whatever you shot. That ticks me off!

Why not as a society try to find a way to stop some of the criminal why do we let them get away with and we are now to the point where you have to keep a gun in your house to feel safe. What kind of life is that?

And Portisizzle I am sorry about your friend, it is hard to loose anyone, but the child I referenced was the 8-10 year old girl on the news that was in her house watching tv and was killed by a stray bullet from a drive by shooting. The sad part is lately that is all you see on the news!

1) This is why the death penalty should be in full force on these types of atrocities. If not death then life without the chance for parole.

2) Hunting, and the sport of hunting, are no more dangerous than any other active event so long as it is practiced safely. How many people die from boating accidents?

3) Sadly, accidents do happen. Sounds like a crack down in this community needs to happen. Maybe if our police would spend less time handing out traffic tickets and more time patroling streets, these types of accident will be lessened.

Taking guns away from law abiding citizen is not the answer for any problem. Bottom line.

I am just stating there are other ways of doing things. I could not harm an animal. That is just me. I try to save them all. I never said it was illegal I said I hate it that is two different things. I am not questioning you as a person I am stating my feelings all together.

What part of hunting for sport makes you feel like a man and how does keeping a gun make you feel safe.

I know we will never get rid of guns as a society, but I believe something should be done to stop the gun problems our society is having.

Look I am not trying to piss anybody off, I am just expressing my opinion ( which I love to do loudly :D ).

I myself cannot understand need for handguns or auto's over a rifle if you are just protecting your family or sport... those types of guns are primarily meant for one thing... a violent crime.

The question I pose to everyone here is, how can we get the guns out of the hands of people who have or will use them for a violent crime?

Who said hunting made me fell like a man. I said I enjoyed it.

I never said owning firearms made me feel safe either, however, I do feel safer with them than without. In all honesty, I'm not at all worried about someone entering my home, and forcing me to use a gun for protection, I just don't think it'll ever happen, but if it ever does, I'll have that option.

I am just stating there are other ways of doing things. I could not harm an animal. That is just me. I try to save them all. I never said it was illegal I said I hate it that is two different things. I am not questioning you as a person I am stating my feelings all together.

What part of hunting for sport makes you feel like a man and how does keeping a gun make you feel safe.

I know we will never get rid of guns as a society, but I believe something should be done to stop the gun problems our society is having.

One more time, for effect.

The gun problems will become much less prevailent when all children are given the knowledge necessary to make quality decisions around guns. How about spending less time teaching kids how to safely get their groove out of wedlock and spend more time teaching kids about firearm safety. Taking a few officers off the traffic cop thing and put them on patrol would help as well.

BTW, how bad is this gun problem our society is having right now.

How many people die from

1) Firearms

2) Big Mac and supersized fries

3) Automobile accidents

4) Choking on chicken bones

I am being serious here. Dieing from a gunshot wound is very sad and unnecessary. But can't you make this same phlosophical argument about any number of event that kill people each year?

Oh, and one more thing about any law that might be passed taking a gun away from me......

I would like to see someone come to my house and try to take my gun. The day that happens......well..... lets just say the end of America is close at hand. At least it will be the end of me, because someone will be going down with a fight.

My guess is that I am not the only one that would feel the same.

Originally posted by Bufford

South Central L.A.

It was a joke about it being the worst of the worst.

Boys in the Hood, etc, etc.

Oh, is that the movie that glorifies young men running around with guns, and killing each other?

I just can't figure out why society has a bad taste about guns.:doh:..........anyone?

Originally posted by pez

The question I pose to everyone here is, how can we get the guns out of the hands of people who have or will use them for a violent crime?

Easy, enforce the very tough laws that are already on the books. And when they are convicted? Death penalty or life w/out parole. And again, put more cops on patrol in these at risk neighborhoods. Traffic police are wasting their time and our money. Police are here to protect and serve their community.

Oh, is that the movie that glorifies young men running around with guns, and killing each other?

I just can't figure out why society has a bad taste about guns.:doh:..........anyone?

yep....and sadly, it was based on what was really happening there in real life. Art Immitates life and Vice Versa.

So your boxers would not hurt a cat?

I would put money on the cat! My cat beats up my dogs and has even bit a Redskin for ignoring him upon entering my house! :laugh:

Had to throw that in there!

I am not judging any of you who hunt or own guns. I respect your opinions, but I feel we do need stronger gun laws or something. My opinion as has yours has not changed, but what can we do to improve society?

Archived