Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets not hype Betts up like he's a savior....

diego1115

If Portis and Betts were both drafted this year by the Skins, and this past season was their rookie years, with rookie contracts, how would next year look?

I think many of you are quick to downgrade one of your own players just so you don't take any luster off Portis. If Betts had the 50 million dollar contract, who would start next year?

Originally posted by afparent

let's just be happy we have a damn good backup

there ya go,, I also learned that when we get to the one, we can have him punch it over. Nice back to have for 10 or so carries a game.

~Bang

Originally posted by Larry

In Betts' defense, though.

1) He was making a lot of those yards on his own, after getting hit. I saw (what seemed to me as) a lot of second-effort yards.

2) At the end of the game, everybody remember? we're up by 3 with 4:00 to go. And they couldn't stop him? Anybody think it was because our offense was so subtle they didn't know we were going to run? But he got the yards, anyway.

I thought he looked really good.

Hype away whats wrong with having two good backs, Gibbs has always used different backs for different situations. I don't think there is any question who the number one back on this team is, but Betts looked good with the exception of a couple of missed blocks, one horrible miss, but everyone makes mistakes. In at least two of our wins, if not three, he played a key role getting first downs with his effort alone.

Take away his fourth quarter in the vikings game and they get the ball a couple more times.

There is nothing wrong with our 1-2 punch of Portis and Betts. And Betts comes cheap at less than $1M against the cap thru the 2007 season.

C'mon, we could throw both of them on the field in all kinds of situations like Auburn's doing with Williams/Brown out there tonight.

Either one of them could split out wide because they can both catch the ball.

Both are capable of running up the middle and to the outside. While each may be better at one over the other (Betts up the middle, Portis quicker to the edges) they can do either one well enough that seeing Portis in the backfield doesn't mean a sweep and Betts doesn't mean a between the tackles run.

A football genius like Gibbs should have defenses pulling their hair out with these 2 guys in our backfield.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

If Portis and Betts were both drafted this year by the Skins, and this past season was their rookie years, with rookie contracts, how would next year look?

I think many of you are quick to downgrade one of your own players just so you don't take any luster off Portis. If Betts had the 50 million dollar contract, who would start next year?

BS. There was a very similar situation with Ramsey and Brunell, and Ramsey is now clearly the starter desipte Brunell's contract.

Archived