Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most impressive defensive performance of season

chiefhogskin48

I just got back from the game, a game that I had a very bad feeling about going in. Since Culpepper is on my fantasy team, I have been able to watch most Vikings games, and each time I came away extremely impressed with their balanced and efficient offense. It's not all about Randy Moss. Robinson, Burleson, Wiggins, Smith, Bennett... these guy may not be household names, but they are legitimate scoring threats. Culpepper, obviously, is a top 3 QB in this league. Their offensive line is above average at worst, dominating at best.

The Redskins meanwhile went limping into this game after a debacle in Dallas, with all hope for the season lost. Smoot was added to the list of walking wounded for the Redskins, and numerous other players were banged up. Thus, in our defensive backfield, we had a still-woosy Springs, Harris, and two total scrubs CBs going against the 2nd best passing attack in the league. I figured from a matchup perspective, all they had to do was spread us out and pick us apart by taking advantage of the significant CB-WR mismatches.

Incredibly, this did not happen. Our CBs blanketed their receivers on the deep routes, allowing only short to moderate gains. We stuffed their running game and brought pressure from every angle (as usual). But except for two big plays, their explosive offense looked completely ordinary, and at certain points, dowright dysfunctional. What a beautiful thing. For the first time since I've been watching the Redskins (10+ years), we are a team that actually makes good offenses look bad, rather than the opposite. And it comes down to one man: Gregg Williams. Like a mad scientist, he is able to take limited players, many of whom were previously seen as marginal or underacheiving, and patch them into the most spirited, aggressive defense in the league.

Coming into the season, if someone told you that a defense fielding the following players: Wynn, Salavea, Griffin, Evans/Clemons, Marshall, Pierce, Washington, Harris, Wilds, Taylor, and Clark.... would be able to end up as the #3 defense in the league and hold the 2nd best offense in the league to 10 legitimate points... would anyone actually believe that?? :laugh:

I know I sure wouldn't. Not a chance. In fact, I would predict that this lineup would produce by far the worst defense in the league.

This defense has salvaged my enjoyment of the '04 season. It was just so damn fun to watch a defense that plays above its talent level, after watching Redskins defenses so prone to the opposite. We finally got to see that it's not all about talent, it's about scheme, coaching, and effort. Let's hope we can see the same level of improvement of the offense next season, and then WE'LL be the ones resting our players in late December. :cheers:

Chris,

I actually didn't notice it. I am on the upper deck, so I would have needed binoculars to notice. :laugh: I was just glad we recovered the onside kick, and I was out of there.

Good performance from the hardcore fans that showed today. It was a fun game to watch thanks to the defense.

I was there also. Had that same negative feeling going in. I honestly thought this was going to be a really long day for the Redskins today. I was absolutely amazed at the play of the defense!!! It was tremendous to watch. The Vikings offense was shut down today. What a pleasure to see! My son and I had a great time at the game!

It was an added benefit to see embarrassed opposing fans in the stands and on the ramps for a change.

By the way, it was also nice to see some holes actually opened up by the offensive line today for Betts.

Hey, I admit, I thought we were toast this game. I'm in Minnesota and think the Vikes have a NICE offense. I figured everything would catch up to us and we'd get lit up. I'm very happy to be a Redskin fan today not because we beat an average Vikings team but because we played like a team that cared.

I'm don't think you can have a great defensive performance without creating turnovers, but, the defense was very sound today.

Archived