Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft question: Why are so many on the board down on DE David Pollack?

I will admit that I favor drafting DE Mathias Kiwanuka of Boston College because he is a rare 6-8 and I think Greg Williams can make him into another Too Tall Jones in a couple years, but why are so many on this board against drafting DE David Pollack of Georgia?

I mean neither player has run their forty time yet, but I wouldn't be upset if the Skins drafted Pollack based on his consistent production. The guy had 9.5 sacks this season and 35 hurries. Two years ago he had 14 sacks. That pretty good in any league.

Comments?

http://georgiadogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pollack_david00.html

He strikes me a a good motor guy at the next level, but not an elite pass rushing end, if the FO went after him I wouldn't have a problem but I would have a problem if we went after him as high as we will be if lose this weekend. Trade down if Pollack was the pick, but Elton Brown would be a better trade down.

I don't want DE in the 1st but if we went that way I'd want Erasmus James. Like I said, Pollack is a high motor guy but not elite, Kiwi has elite potential but needs to put on alot of weight onto his frame to reach that potential and could take several years, James is the most finished product imo.

Pollack, after having watched him a few times, is a pure football player. I was extremely skeptical at first, but let's face it, if he was black, he wouldn't be considered a "limited athlete with questionable speed." :laugh:

He has a tremendous burst off of the line of scrimmage and closes on the QB very well. Beyond that, he actually plays hard against the run which is important for an everydown lineman. I think he would certainly help our defense. Let's remember the high level of competition he plays against week in and week out--- we're not talking the Mountain West here.

I barely know either, but Im more high on Kiwi.

However, what is the thought of taking Chris Canty in a later round, like the 3rd, or maybe late 2nd? Seems like injuries stopped him from being a first round choice, but if we can make him a project couldnt he be the speed rusher we want. He'd also want to make himself good to prove that the injury isnt gonna stop him.

Originally posted by Mr. S

I barely know either, but Im more high on Kiwi.

However, what is the thought of taking Chris Canty in a later round, like the 3rd, or maybe late 2nd? Seems like injuries stopped him from being a first round choice, but if we can make him a project couldnt he be the speed rusher we want. He'd also want to make himself good to prove that the injury isnt gonna stop him.

We don't have a 2nd round pick, but I would consider him in the 3rd. Problem is someone with more draft picks will probably choose him before we do.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/de/chriscanty.html

Canty will probably go rd4 or later after his knee injury but would be a great pick. He's not a passrusher with speed but is very stout at 6-6 295lbs and he consistently disrupts plays. He would fit great in our scheme taking up blockers for our blitz happy scheme.

I think he's a great player...it's just that we cannot afford to draft defense high in this draft.

Trade down and get G Elton Brown and WR Craphonso Thorpe. Trade Gardener to somehow get LSU Center Ben Wilkerson

Elton Brown

G, Virginia

War Room analysis

Strengths: Won the 2003 Jacobs Blocking Trophy as the ACC's top blocker and is a beast on the line. Has colossal size and is strong enough to handle a bull rush. Has massive legs and can open huge holes in the running game. Has above-average agility and can reach the second level. Is mobile in pass protection and can swallow smaller defenders.

Weaknesses: Has not reached his potential, despite his physical gifts. Needs to become stronger in his upper body and work on his hand punch. Shows inconsistent effort and would rather depend on his natural ability to do the work.

Bottom line: Brown has been terrifyingly good in his senior year. His physical tools are outstanding, and he is getting better with experience. Brown should be taken in the first round of the '05 draft.

Dan Pompei analysis

A unique and huge, broad-shouldered blocker. Is outstanding at pulling. Can slide in pass protection. Plays with strength. Has the versatility and athleticism to be considered at center and right tackle. Isn't always consistent. Needs technique work.

Craphonso Thorpe

WR, Florida State

War Room analysis

Strengths: Has good size and speed. Challenges defenders downfield and adjusts well to poor passes. Uses his long arms and leaping ability give to win jump balls. Is effective against man-to-man coverage because of his size and speed.

Weaknesses: Suffered a broken lower tibia and fibula late in 2003 and must prove he's healthy. Must improve his route-running skills and learn to find open spots in zones.

Bottom line: Thorpe's biggest weapon is his speed. He is Florida State's all-time leader in kickoff return average, a talent that will attract even more NFL attention. Despite durability concerns, he could move up to the end of the first round.

Dan Pompei analysis

A home run hitter. Is quick in and out of cuts and has deep speed. Better on vertical routes than in traffic. Good hands. Thin. Has some medical concerns.

Ben Wilkerson

C, LSU

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is one of the nation's quickest linemen. Makes great line calls and picks up blitzes. Has good burst off the line and beats defenders off the snap. Has good size and is agile for a player of his bulk. Is experienced and knows the best angles to take in run blocking. Hands pack a wallop in pass protection.

Weaknesses: Must improve his strength, particularly in his lower body. Durability is a big concern; had a back injury in 2002 and a knee injury in 2004.

Bottom line: Wilkerson has been a starter since midway through his freshman season. His technical ability is outstanding, and his quickness is very good. His season-ending knee injury puts his draft status in question. Assuming full recovery, he should be drafted in the second round and could move up.

Dan Pompei analysis

Energetic, athletic player with some quickness. Has great intangibles. Solid player who has been productive over time. Doesn't always sustain blocks. Struggles to make adjustments. Must add strength.

Originally posted by Samuels

Pollack will be just like Grant Wistrom a 7-10 sack guy who plays the run and hustles his tail off every play.

That's what I was going to say!

We havent had a DE that produced like that for awhile, I think antone here would take 10 sacks a season...I bet those 10 sacks added to this D would have it sitting at #1 right now...

Pollack will be better than a Wistrom-type player. Kiwi may amount to nothing in the NFL, and James is an injury-risk boom or bust project.

Pollack is a solid top 20 pick (not top 5-8).

People are saying James and Kiwi will come in and make an impact....and those people couldn't be any wronger.

You know who, in recent memory, James is most like?

Will Smith? And does anyone know WTF he is?

Exactly. He was a good speed rusher, and that was about it. The Saints take him 18th overall and he's been non-existant in this league so far. And Kenchi Udeze, a similar player. Kenechi who??????

The FOOTBALL players are more likely to make an impact. Look at Jared Allen of the Chiefs. A D1-AA guy who feels lucky to be in the NFL, let alone starting. He works hard on every play and that's why he has great production.

That's what Pollack's like - but with MUCH more skill and better physical tools.

Excuse me, why go for defense at all, when we are in effect the best defense in the league. We need playmakers. I say go for TE , WR, RB, QB, impact players. How long do we wait for Ramsey to get it all together? He has the big "P", potential, I'm starting to think he doesn't have the head for it.

We are an injury away from not having a number one back. (Betts won't do it like today against most defences). Offense, best available.

Originally posted by RedDawg36

Pollack will be better than a Wistrom-type player. Kiwi may amount to nothing in the NFL, and James is an injury-risk boom or bust project.

Pollack is a solid top 20 pick (not top 5-8).

People are saying James and Kiwi will come in and make an impact....and those people couldn't be any wronger.

You know who, in recent memory, James is most like?

Will Smith? And does anyone know WTF he is?

Exactly. He was a good speed rusher, and that was about it. The Saints take him 18th overall and he's been non-existant in this league so far. And Kenchi Udeze, a similar player. Kenechi who??????

The FOOTBALL players are more likely to make an impact. Look at Jared Allen of the Chiefs. A D1-AA guy who feels lucky to be in the NFL, let alone starting. He works hard on every play and that's why he has great production.

That's what Pollack's like - but with MUCH more skill and better physical tools.

Will Smith was never thought of as a speed rusher. In fact a lot of people dissed him because of his lack of speed and apparent strength.

Udeze has played well this year and has quite a few sacks if I'm not mistaken.

You can't honestly think that Pollack will come in and have more impact than either Smith or Udeze can you?

Originally posted by jtyler42

That's what I was going to say!

We havent had a DE that produced like that for awhile, I think antone here would take 10 sacks a season...I bet those 10 sacks added to this D would have it sitting at #1 right now...

Who cares if the D is number 1? Not me. It's simply padding your pride unless we drastically improve this offense.

According to teh stats on ESPN, which most likely don't include the last weekend of the season......

Will Smith 6 sacks

Udezi 5 sacks

Redskins leading sack producer this season? Springs and Griffin, tied at 5.

Please do your homework before claiming guys are nothing in this league.

I think will be a decent pro. He's a lunch pail type of guy, and you can never go wrong with those types. I always thought Cornelius Griffin was one of those types too, and you see what he's meant to the team.

I think adding a guy like him to an already elite defense and the exponential impact would be tremendous, coupled with the addition of Lavar and Bowen.

People always underestimate desire. Freeney was said to be too small. He's been two time pro bowler. They said Zack Thomas was too small. He too has been a pro bowler. The middle linebacker in Dallas, dat, they said likewise.

With Pollack you know what you're getting. We actually have the potential to have a great defense next year.

I think we will address the offensive line in free agency. I will admit, I was one for Winslow last year. However, Taylor has not dissapointed. The dude is a straight freak with much more attitude and range then Roy Williams. I look forward to seeing him and Lavar playing together.

Originally posted by mookie0720

You can't honestly think that Pollack will come in and have more impact than either Smith or Udeze can you?

Damn right I do. Pollack is a better player IMO.

Udeze wasn't even the best player on his own line at USC. He just benefited from all the double teams his interior buddies like Patterson got. Not saying he isn't good, but I don't think he's as good as Pollack.

And Smith getting taken above Udeze was a farce (and only happened because people were going on about Udeze's supposed injury).

Pollack is much better in run support and equally as good, if not better, as a pass rusher. Plus he's much more of a leader, much more committed and much more of a work horse.

Originally posted by Gibbs4Life

seriously though:

Elton Brown, heath miller, or mike williams will add that certain something ouf offense is missing. I think our offense will solid if we get one of the above.

Heath Miller???? One...where are we gonna get him? CERTAINLY not in the top 15/20..that's stupid. And two...why bother, with Cooley looking good?

Brown makes sense...I like him, and Williams also.

Pollack would be an excellent pick but probably not at the 8 spot. I also like kiwi but he wont be picked in the top 10 if he comes out. He has the potential to be great but right now it is only potential. The only position drafted for potential in the top 10 is qb inmo. Elton brown is a right guard. I doubt the skins would take him and move thomas to center (when was the last time he played center?). I would trade down once and pick pollack and maybe kiwi.

Archived