Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Three players you think will be gone

BD

I know I'm not alone in thinking that this offseason will actually be a pretty quiet one, compared to previous years. I think that most of the RFAs and UFAs on defense will get re-signed, and I for one think Smoot will be back (and that this latest interview is really just a contract ploy), and while I'm not sure about Samuels, I think Bugel likes him enough to pay the bucks.

But when I look at the contract issues for some other guys, and the potential draft prospects, I really think that there are going to be at least three starting-caliber players who will be gone.

1. Rod Gardner: last year of his deal, inconsistent player, not a good downfield blocker, and he's got an attitude that isn't warranted given his performance. I say he's gone. Replaced with a draft pick, though not necessarily Mike Williams.

2. Cory Raymer: Center was the most inconsistent and poorly performing position on the offensive line. Friedman is a decent backup at Guard, but he showed why he can't be trusted at Center early on. Raymer is the weakest link - with Jansen returning, Raymer will have the lowest amount of physical skill and ability on that line (Dockery has all of that, regardless of what these UVA's E. Brown fans are saying, and he's learning). I don't think there's any way you can look at his protection style and say that he's able to start in this league. He needs to be replaced through trade or free agency for a solid veteran.

3. Michael Barrow: The obvious choice. Way too much money to pay a backup, and I think he'll be gone as soon as they get Pierce re-signed. Since this is defense, I don't think Joe's loyalty (see Brunell) will play into keeping him on. Replaced as a backup through free agency.

Those are my three - add your own. Or disagree if you think it's going to be more than three.

BD

Originally posted by Sarge

Rayner, maybe Brown. Gardner for sure and McCants

McCants ?

Im not so sure about that one.

Brown stays as a back up. He can back up Guard or Tackle.

After a year of getting to know NFL football again and getting to know his players, Gibbs has to figure out what he wants to do with this team. We have a lot of over lap at TE, RB, FB, HB & WR

We have to weed out the overlap. I have no idea what Gibbs may do. As it stands, I don't think our WR mix is very good. Im sure he will look at this. McCants and Jacobs didnt play that much, so it will be up to the coaches to decide if they have what they need.

Im sure a lot of attention will go to the O line.

Bugel will have Gibbs ear. He will get first priorty at whatever he needs. He needs 8 studs. 5 starters and 3 roll players. Brown is one.

Jansen is a lock.

Thomas, Randy is a lock

We draft a couple of big kids last year. How are they coming along ? What will they look like come next camp ?

OT 5 Wilson, Mark 62 314 6'6 24 0 California

OT 6 Molinaro, Jim 69 309 6'6 23 0 Notre Dame

Actually, I think the biggest question will be what to do with Samuels. He's good, but is isnt 2005 9.643M & 2006 11.320M

good ? What will a restructured contract look like for him. If he wants to much, they may let him go. That's my suprise pick.

Brunell was and is a bust and he will eat 3-4 mil in cap space. Uugggghh.

We have to get some cap room. 9.6 mil would be a lot of clearing.

They need to get this number down to around 2-2.5M

Barrow will stay if we cannot re-sign Pierce. If Pierce signs, Barrow is gone. What are Barrow's cap numbers? If his annual salary is low, we may keep him until after June 2005 only to spread out the signing bonus.

Koz is gone.

Morton is gone.

Brunnel cap hit is too big to swallow in just one year. Plus Gibbs will want a veteran backup. Remember, few QBs paly an entire 16 game season. And with our OL, no way a QB will remain standing for a complete season.

Keep Gardner. His cap # is relatively low, and he is under contract.

Raymer will stick around as a backup, assuming we draft a center in the second or third round. If this draft pick does well, he will be starting by the 4th or 5th game of the 2005 season.

Brown will stick, but only because we have no one else to backup several OL positions. This is more a testament to the weakness of our team than to his ability.

[An aside: how can anyone as big as Dockery get knocked on his butt so often?]

:2cents:

Originally posted by Skinned

I remember reading that there is no cap advantage to be had from releasing Barrow.

Exactly - and a nice experienced, smart vet, even if he is a situational player. - rememember in Williams defense, everybody plays.

I would have to say Gardner, Raymer, Koz

- Rock needs to get his specialty back, otherwise he may not have a fit on the team.

If I had to go with 3 I guess it would be Rod Gardner, Cory Raymer (although he may get kept for depth) and Pat Dennis.

What I know is that this coaching staff makes decisions on personnel based on things I don't think most of us understand or know. Hence it is tough to predict who may or may not get walking papers this year.

How many of us would have predicted in June/July that John Warner would get kept and Regan Upshaw would get let go? Or that Mitchell would get let go after we let Trotter go? Lots of things can happen and while I think these 3 could get let go, stranger things have happened at Redskins Park.

Raymor will be back as 2nd string. Unless we get both a vet center AND a rookie. (but there is an almost 0.9 mil cap savings if cut...)

1) Friedman is gone. (almost 0.9 million cap savings)

2) Gardner is only a 50/50 chance. but that should be expected of him.... :doh:

3) Sellars will be replaced due to all his stupid errors and penalties.

4) Kozlowski will be upgraded. Maybe Royal gets upgraded as well. I expect to draft a TE somewhere....

5) Wynn unless there's a restructure. He's a very solid DE, especially with the run D. But that 4 million can be used for his replacement and someone else.

6) Haley. (another half million or so cap savings) Boschetti will replace him.

7) Barrows a tough call... if we resign Pierce (and we will barring a ridiculous asking price), he likely goes. Making room for Khory Campbell, Lemar Marshall, Clemons. Age has to be a factor...

If Barrow is healthy next year, there is no benefit, cap-wise to cut him. - keep him, Williams raved about him in mini-camps about how it took him about a day to remember the defense - a good veteren presence is nice to have on D.

BTW, I forgot about Dennis - He goes mostly because Bowen and Lott will be back and he couldn't beat out Clark or Franz for the back-ups spots.

I hope Sellers stays.

I dont think Sellers will be released. Gibbs has said repeatedly how much he likes him. I'm sure he has been told in no uncertain words to stay clear of the personal fouls. I think he gets a second chance. This team needs someone to bring some emotion to the special teams and offense.

Wynn is about $4M and will be gone. Raymer will be gone. Gardner will be traded or cut. Barrow will remain one more year. Cutting him in 2005 would have cap accerlation equal to his 2005 pay which would not help. Morton is only $1M and will be back. Samuels is anybody's guess as I believe he will not renegotiate a favorable deal. He might be a June 1st cut if a trade can not be made.

I wish LA's deal could be voided and we could trade him and use that money to sign Smoot, Pierce, and some dynamite OL in FA.

Samuels if he doesn't he structure, I'm not sure about the cap hit.

Kolowisky (sp) probably will retire if not released (cost us a big series in Dallas with that tip leading to the INT)

Raymer, Friedman, Morton (Thrash or Brown may get the returns on punts with Betts on kickoffs), Hall (maybe replaced by Chandler-- who's looked great)

On the bubble- Gardner (has shown much improvement- from the beginning), Mccants, Royal (again looked better as season progressed), Sellers, Smoot (contract- SHOULD BE RESIGNED!!!!!!!) and Barrow.

Originally posted by jtyler42

Realesed:

Wynn, Morton, Friedmann, Haley...

Possible trades:

Gardner, McCants, Samuels(if he doesnt restructure) and Smoot if he wants too much money and if it doesnt look like he will resign w/us....

I don't see any of those guys being released besides Morton.

I really can't see us trading anyone on your list besides maybe Samuels.

Originally posted by skinsfanjoe

I don't see any of those guys being released besides Morton.

I really can't see us trading anyone on your list besides maybe Samuels.

Wynn counts about 4.5 mil against the cap next yr, he will be released...Friedmann has lost the trust of the coaching staff he hasnt touched the field and Raymer has played as poorly as he has...He's gone...Haley makes to much money next yr as well to be just a rotation DT, he can be replaced....He too will be gone....

Gardner IMHO should be traded he just hasnt shown anything and he may just need a fresh start so why not get something for him...Smoot will be traded if he doesn't or isnt resigned...Why would you let him leave and not get something for him?

Archived