Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Important new personnel talent already in house?

barry wilburn

One comment I'm sure we'll see a lot in the coming months is "we need to get a real GM." At face value I agree with this, but the issue is somewhat complicated. For one, I think Gibbs will continue to be the force that sets the strategic direction of the team. No GM is going to come in and contribute in that sense, which would leave a vacum in terms of the execution of a personnel strategy -- the act of finding players against the outline given by Gibbs. Now, this process has two components:

1) Cap management (this is Snyder's dept. and a can of worms unto iteslf)

2) Talent evaluation

By all reports, Vinny heads up the talent evaluation piece. As the VP, he is essentially an administrator that organizes and manages a team of scouts, adding to the decision making process based on the input of his team.

This piece of the puzzle is where we all feel that Gibbs is weakest. I don't really buy the old Desmond Howard arguement, but there is little evidence that Gibbs excelled in talent evaluation in his previous stint. Given this, I'd say that in order for Gibbs to be an effective GM, he would need some strong support in this area.

Given what we know, this would essentially leave us in the hands of Vinny. The interesting thing is that after the last draft we announced a quiet, yet key addition to the personnel department, Jack Bushofsky who was brought in as a "special assistant."

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=1482

Bushofsky was the personnel director in Carolina, a team we can all agree that has made excellent moves in recent years.

I may be grasping at straws here, but as we look for positive signs in the offseason, consider that an important move may have already been made. Also remember that the logical time for a big front office move would be after the draft, so it's unlikely that there will be any headline grabbing re-shuffling until April.

There are a lot of components to building a sucessful team, but scouting is an important piece. Maybe we're in better shape there than we were last year?

Bushofsky?

Wasn't that Jim Belushi's character in Animal House?

On a serious note, why doesn't Snyder just hire Mel Kiper for like $5 million a year? No salary cap on coaches that I know of, and all his info would be property of the Skins. Of couse, we need to have draft picks for it to pay off.

Gibbs is a great organization builder. He is not going to be the chief talent evaluator. He's already stated the coaching staffs first priority will be to evaluate the team and turn over a list of needs to the Scouting Department. We are watching a genius at work. Not only will he get us back on top, he will build an organization that is designed to keep us there. Greg Williams is going to inherit a Gem when Coach decides to step aside.

Originally posted by Jackson's Ward

Bushofsky?

Wasn't that Jim Belushi's character in Animal House?

On a serious note, why doesn't Snyder just hire Mel Kiper for like $5 million a year? No salary cap on coaches that I know of, and all his info would be property of the Skins. Of couse, we need to have draft picks for it to pay off.

Jim Belushi? John Belushi.

Forget it, he's on a roll.

Archived