Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This ranting about Portis and Taylor being "bigger than the team" is....

diego1115

...pure foolery

I hear BMitch and Fat Man and Cosigner Hernandez on Comcast last night....talkin about how they think that Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor think they are bigger than the team

Just because Sean had TAPE on his helmet???? Lavar did the same thing last week...now its an issue??? Get outta here

you need to say something about Joe Bugel gettin his Offensive Line to do something instead of ranting and raving on Comcast and with George Michael

at least those 2 dudes are balling

and BMitch??? he sounds like a pure hater...he hates anyone who isnt like him

if they said the man(portis) was injured...than he's injured....Mitch didnt have to carry the ball 300 times in a season so how would he know the punishment this guy has taken all season....in which he's played all 15 games so far

im not at all happy with all of this "hatred" towards some of these players.....we lost...get over it....it happens...and will continue to happen when you only score 10 pts

I don't think these guys are bigger than the team. Taylor has made some rookie mistakes this year, which hopefully he won't make in the future.

However, this is a team game not a game of individuals. Wearing different color socks and such doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I would be surprised if the other players cared one way or the other. What I don’t like is the fact that they are setting themselves apart from the rest of the team. They are giving the appearance that they are individuals and not members of a team.

a few more carries and Portis will have 400 for the season. Sean wants to put tape on his helmet and if it makes him feel more like a warrior than so be it. I don;t think Portis nor Taylor believe they are bigger than the team. They want to win more than anyone else...

Originally posted by cphil006

a few more carries and Portis will have 400 for the season. Sean wants to put tape on his helmet and if it makes him feel more like a warrior than so be it. I don;t think Portis nor Taylor believe they are bigger than the team. They want to win more than anyone else...

Couldn't have said it better myself. CP and ST are great players! Just because ST wants to put tape on helmet doesn't mean he's bigger than the team and just because Portis wants to wear burgandy socks doesn't mean he's bigger than the team. I swear, these guys are just looking for people to blame.:doh:

I'm with you on this. BMitch really ought to shutup when it comes to Portis. He never, ever was the player Portis is and there's no question regarding the "heart" Clinton has. I wonder if Brian would have liked it if his heart was questioned after every fumbled punt he had when he was Clinton's age? Maybe Brian should have "shown more heart" in San Francisco in Jan. 1993 and focus on the handoff and perhaps we win that game. Brian still does not accept blame for that play and he has the gall to call out Portis?:puke:

I also think Sean Taylor is having such a great year, that any chink in his armor is going to be exploited by the media since he's not talking to anyone. I will never forget Czaban and Poillon on WTEM saying that Sean Taylor will be a bust just because of the rookie symposium deal and then the "hazing" incident. This was before he even played a down.:doh:

Bottom line, when you're 5-10 all this nonsense becomes the focus of the media and even fans. Taylor made a rookie mistake and got faked out. It still hurts even 15 hours later, but the kid is going to be the best defensive player in football very soon and worrying about his socks or facemask is just stupid.:mad:

:2cents:

Ok, let's look at this from BMitch side. I think there is more to this than the tape on the facemask and the red socks. Maybe Bmitch has some inside information. Maybe some of the players don't like their attitudes. Maybe they have form some cliques on the team. Maybe they come to practice all tired and hungover. We don't know. Ok, Bmitch started this but Portis came back at him. Now you all know Bmitch is not going to take this lying down.

If Taylor breaks up that pass last night we would never hear one word about the tape or socks at all. And B-Mitch would be commending Taylor on his brave effort.

I've played professional sports before and I know how people (media) always try to find something that really isn't an issue to the players, but try to make light of it so it becomes something that they need to address.

If we were winning they'd be sitting there laughing like a bunch of chumps how this tape and sock thing is a superstition or whatever and whatever works they should keep doing.

Winning cures every single negative thing that is said about you in the media. We are just being picked apart by everyone and their grandmother becaus things are working out right now.

I respect B-Mitch, but if it was a problem I gurantee that Joe Gibbs would of addressed both Portis and Taylor and would of told them to never do it again. Gibbs isn't turning the other way, he didn't do that when he became a HOF coach and he certainly won't do that now.

Originally posted by SlobberKnockinFootball

If Taylor breaks up that pass last night we would never hear one word about the tape or socks at all. And B-Mitch would be commending Taylor on his brave effort.

I've played professional sports before and I know how people (media) always try to find something that really isn't an issue to the players, but try to make light of it so it becomes something that they need to address.

If we were winning they'd be sitting there laughing like a bunch of chumps how this tape and sock thing is a superstition or whatever and whatever works they should keep doing.

Winning cures every single negative thing that is said about you in the media. We are just being picked apart by everyone and their grandmother becaus things are working out right now.

I respect B-Mitch, but if it was a problem I gurantee that Joe Gibbs would of addressed both Portis and Taylor and would of told them to never do it again. Gibbs isn't turning the other way, he didn't do that when he became a HOF coach and he certainly won't do that now.

Normally I would agree with this, however I think I need to agree with afparent this time.

As posted by someone earlier: I just saw the post game interview with James Thrash on Comcast Sports Net. Brian Mitchell asked him, "I notice that the little things aren't getting done, and there are alot of dumb mistakes, what do you think needs to be done about that for next season?"

James replied by saying something to the effect of, "Yeah, you can't have that stuff happening. You can't have 2 or 3 players doing their own thing while the rest of the team is sticking together. We aren't looking past the Minnesota game, but that's something that will have to be worked on for next season."

See it appears the "other" players do have some problems with some people.

B Mitch said he has talked to players who are fed up with it, but they can't talk about it. They have been told NOT to talk about it.

There may be more to this then we think.

You know, I was thinking about this issue. I know Brian wasn't on the team at the time but, if we weren't winning, wouldn't stuff like "The Hogs", "The Smurfs","The Fun Bunch","The Wild Bunch" and so on be considered "non-team" stuff? I mean it is a select group on the team getting recognition apart from the whole.

BMitch might have some inside info, I don't know, but regardless, Clinton or Sean having red sox does not impact the outcome of games. They and some other guys MIGHT not be the best teammates, who knows, but that's not why we're 5-10.

James replied by saying something to the effect of, "Yeah, you can't have that stuff happening. You can't have 2 or 3 players doing their own thing while the rest of the team is sticking together. We aren't looking past the Minnesota game, but that's something that will have to be worked on for next season."

Speaks volumes, Thrash is the ultimate team guy, makes you wonder if maybe he or someone else has talked to B-Mitch about the Hurricanes. Either way Gibbs needs to put the foot down on this, NOBODY is bigger than the team.

Yea, but Thrash also could be talking about the Taylor play where he tried to go for the gold and got burned instead of being his designed spot in the defense. Which is nothing to do about his tape or socks.

Or Gardner probably not doing what he suppose to do when the plays aren't designed for him. That's just an example, I'm not bashing him. Just throwing some speculation out there.

What I took from that interview was that people trying to do their own thing regarding scheme wise to make themselves look good or go for the "big play" rather than playing within the system where they're designed to be.

That kind of thing will be addressed by G. Williams or Gibbs in the office come Tuesday.

I'm just having a hard time believing that Gibbs has become soft. He didn't get to where he's at being soft and not addressing people trying to be individuals rather than team. I won't believe that for one second.

That kind of thing will be addressed by G. Williams or Gibbs in the office come Tuesday.

I'm just having a hard time believing that Gibbs has become soft. He didn't get to where he's at being soft and not addressing people trying to be individuals rather than team. I won't believe that for one second.

Yeah if Gibbs wanted to be real soft with Taylor, then he would not have been suspended that game earlier in the year.

Thrash's statement just went real deep with me, really made me think. This guy is a team guy, so I took his comments with a little bigger grain of salt.

I have said since week 3 that Gibbs seems to be more mellow. Because of all the attention he got, he made it a point to give his players the benefit of the doubt.

As far as the "fun bunch" and "hogs", sure we were winning but the question is why we were winning. The players were disicplined and dedicated. That was the culture of the team. If you lost you were mad. If you weren't you didn't last long. Now it is different. Who knows what the players reactions are. Bottom line is the "fun bunch" and "hogs" produced.

Originally posted by skins0128

Yeah if Gibbs wanted to be real soft with Taylor, then he would not have been suspended that game earlier in the year.

Thrash's statement just went real deep with me, really made me think. This guy is a team guy, so I took his comments with a little bigger grain of salt.

I know what you mean about Thrash, and I do listen when he talks as well. But from what I gathered was that he was talking people trying to make the big play and diverting away from what is called on the field. Basically making it an individual effort rather than a team effort. Does that make sense? We can take the last play with Taylor.

The defense was probably called for him to give help to Springs down the line or basically split both of the receivers. But what he did he tried to jump the route to K. Johnson to either make a big hit or INT rather than doing what he was asked to do on that play call.

If you read Vinny's comments in I think the Post today you see that he saw Taylor leaning towards K. Johnson and so he looked off a second longer to commit him and then he threw it to #84 down the line. So it sounds like either a rookie mistake of committing too early, or that Taylor was just trying to make the big play. We will never know for certain.

Originally posted by afparent

I have said since week 3 that Gibbs seems to be more mellow. Because of all the attention he got, he made it a point to give his players the benefit of the doubt.

As far as the "fun bunch" and "hogs", sure we were winning but the question is why we were winning. The players were disicplined and dedicated. That was the culture of the team. If you lost you were mad. If you weren't you didn't last long. Now it is different. Who knows what the players reactions are. Bottom line is the "fun bunch" and "hogs" produced.

I agree 100%, but haven't Portis and Taylor produced? We are not 5-10 because of Clinton Portis or Sean Taylor. In fact, if not for Portis we'd maybe have 1 victory (vs. Giants...sorry Tom:D ).

I know what you mean about Thrash, and I do listen when he talks as well. But from what I gathered was that he was talking people trying to make the big play and diverting away from what is called on the field. Basically making it an individual effort rather than a team effort. Does that make sense? We can take the last play with Taylor.

The defense was probably called for him to give help to Springs down the line or basically split both of the receivers. But what he did he tried to jump the route to K. Johnson to either make a big hit or INT rather than doing what he was asked to do on that play call.

If you read Vinny's comments in I think the Post today you see that he saw Taylor leaning towards K. Johnson and so he looked off a second longer to commit him and then he threw it to #84 down the line. So it sounds like either a rookie mistake of committing too early, or that Taylor was just trying to make the big play. We will never know for certain.

I'm right with you there. I think it was a rookie mistake, trying to make the big play.

However, he said 2 or 3 players, which bothered me. Thrash has never been a guy to "stir the pot", that is why it bothered me so much.

The thing that is being missed to is the fact that Taylor made a HUGE play stripping the ball from Jones near the goaline.

He is a rookie that will make some spectacular plays, but also be caught out of position at times.

Give and take as they say.

I saw the comments from the three stooges on Comcast as well. What we have lacked on this team for several years is players with a nasty attitude and Portis and Taylor fit that mode.

I can't believe that B Mitch and Steve 'my face was made for the radio' Czaban would rant on and on about such a meaningless topic.

Here's an idea stooges. How about analyzing how our offensive line imploded or dare I say, Gibbs called three ridiculously, conservative plays, knowing the 'boys had three timeouts. These are the reasons we lose not tape on a facemask or colors of a sock, you clowns.

Bring back "The coach" Rich Gilgalen (sp)

Originally posted by KingGibbs

I saw the comments from the three stooges on Comcast as well. What we have lacked on this team for several years is players with a nasty attitude and Portis and Taylor fit that mode.

I can't believe that B Mitch and Steve 'my face was made for the radio' Czaban would rant on and on about such a meaningless topic.

Here's an idea stooges. How about analyzing how our offensive line imploded or dare I say, Gibbs called three ridiculously, conservative plays, knowing the 'boys had three timeouts. These are the reasons we lose not tape on a facemask or colors of a sock, you clowns.

Bring back "The coach" Rich Gilgalen (sp)

Taylor, nasty attitude, I agree. Portis though??

Portis has shown no real emotion on the field, Except the flexing of his muscle one game.

Taylor is in guys faces, and heads all game long.

The guy on offense that best fits that mold? I would have to say Lav Coles. That guy gets drilled, and jumps right back up and gets in the guys face.

Coles is nasty, and one tough SOB.

Portis, who knows what's up with this dude. He says all the right things on tv and what not. But just looks like a deer in the headlights when he's on the field. Possibly is because he knows our O-Line blows, other is maybe he's having some mental issues. Who knows, bottom line if he wanted all the money this offseason. He got it, now he has to step up his leadership role with the team. Right now he's our only true weapon. Which I don't know he's being used to the fullest extent. Maybe he's bitter about that. Only people on the inside will know. But I think the moping or just the bad body language needs to stop. It seems like he only gets fired up when we play the Bears or Lions :doh:

Originally posted by skins0128

Taylor, nasty attitude, I agree. Portis though??

Portis has shown no real emotion on the field, Except the flexing of his muscle one game.

Taylor is in guys faces, and heads all game long.

The guy on offense that best fits that mold? I would have to say Lav Coles. That guy gets drilled, and jumps right back up and gets in the guys face.

Coles is nasty, and one tough SOB.

I take back what I say about Portis being nasty, but B Mitch and Czaban calling him out as a me first type player is out of line. There have been several occassions this year that reporters asked him why he didn't get the ball as much as he should've and his reply has been the same and that is "I do what the TEAM ask me to do."

People tend to forget how young this guy is and if you ask me he is very mature for his age.

BTW. You are right about Coles. He is such a baller.

im glad yall kinda agreed with me...i was a little heated about that

1st the Comcast Bammas (the name ive dubbed them) want to know why Portis isnt carrying 40 times...then when he isnt...its something wrong with him...thats not fair

and any bashing of Mr Taylor is misguided...he made his one big rookie mistake....hopefully he's the kind of man that takes that one play into the offseason and comes back BIGGER, STRONGER, FASTER and SMARTER...which would be mindboggling :point2sky

Archived