Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You can't honestly think this team is on the brink, can you?

Ghost of

I think the Scheme & structure needs to be worked on and adjusted.

Im fine w/Gibbs but he needs assistance, help, ideas, something because what we got aint working.

Fortunately the defense saved the team from being 0-16.

If we had stuck w/last years defensive schemes/coordinator i think we'd be drafting in the top 3 spots this year....

And to the thread starter:

I agree w/you wholeheartedly about your thoughts.

Some things can't be fixed during the season. Your personnel is your personnel.

If your beef is how FAST they've progressed, fine. I agree, I'm disappointed too. But to suggest that Gibbs is somehow unable to see the problem areas, or that he won't spend the next 8 months working his ass off to fix them, strikes me as just anger talking.

You were around the first time. You saw his teams develop from year to year. That you've apparently decided that capacity has been lost somehow, based on the pile of festering **** he inherited after 12 years away, is also a bit hard to understand.

Gibbs is too conservative in personnel moves and play calls. He plods along and the league is sprinting by him. I wonder about schemes and adjustments when you continue to have the worst offense in the league, make really bad teams look great and never seem to move strongly forward. Heck even last week, he made SF look good, they suck and got crushed by Buffalo this week.

Call it a curse, call it Danny's influence, call it whatever, this team is one of the worst franchises in the NFL, and seems poised to stay there for the foreseeable future. I have watched the skins for the last 30 years, not enough time nor patience anymore, good luck guys.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Again, I thought he would have started already.

Going in to the season you have who you have. Outside of tapes from the previous year, all you can do is create schemes, and when things don't work, try and adapt to the play of the player. Gibbs had to settle on his play calling all year long due to the lack of big time core Redskin players. Things will be addressed in this offseason, but I don't feel as though we can still get "Everyone" that is needed to make this a superbowl team. We are extremely cap heavy from years past, which BTW Gibbs had nothing to do with.

The phrase that comes to mind is "It is what it is". Gibbs will do the best he can with what he has to work with. You can take that to the bank......

:2cents:

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

:doh: I can't believe how many people here seem to think that Gibbs can't turn this around. How many of you actually REMEMBER 1981? I don't, but very vaguely. It was a different time, different team, different attitude. Many of us KNEW that it would take some time to rid ourselves of the Norvitis & Spurrieritis that this team had developed over the years & it would probably take a couple of years for Gibbs to really get things going. I'm not entirely shocked & disappointed in this season, especially considering the way the season has gone for many teams, not just us. But I AM a little disappointed in the reaction. This is what we wanted. For Gibbs to return & lead us back to greatness. He needs time to do that folks. One season is not nearly enough. I think Gibbs will have this team in the playoffs next season. I think Gibbs will take what he has learned this season & apply it next season & it WILL pay off.

Jeez-o-flip I can't believe some of what has been said in this thread! :doh:

LONG LIVE THE KING!!! :logo:

My thoughts exactly!!

This is the only time when being too conservative should be frowned upon :roleyes:

I have been losing it when we line up in a one dimensional offensive set.

And just because we EBayed our way to the highest paid O line doesnt mean that they are a top offensive line

Originally posted by sonsofwashington

This thread pisses me off. We have had offensive problems all year. You don't think we can turn that around in 1-2 years? MOVE TO PHILLY!! We have played close games all year.

Like I said in another post,that "learning a new system"thing has run it's course.All it is is a copout.Look at the Buffalo Bills,they have new coaches and look at there offense.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Why? It's true.

Gibbs was our savior in 81. He might be in 2004. But things are completely differnet now then they were then, so saying Gibbs WILL succeed, then using 81 as proof is insane.

Good thing I didn't say anything remotely like that then.

Don't insult my intelligence, brother. I see you've settled comfortably into your element now; bob and weave, bait and switch, hit and run.

Not in the mood.

Enjoy yourself.

Originally posted by Om

:doh:

I think we're done here.

You know what Om... it's like beating your head against a brick wall. These people want black and white and just can not comprehend the grey.

They can't see that we DID overhaul our offensive scheme. Just slowly and subtly. They can't see that Gibbs auditioned players during these last few games to decide who's staying or going. They can't see that Gibbs, after ditching Brunell and changing the runnning scheme for Portis, is literally running a training camp in the middle of the season.

They don't want to be told that a lackluster offense when executed better is all that is needed to win games. They want flash and style, and the team won't be good until they get it. They may have to wait awhile.

But wait.. Ramsey hasn't improved at all this year! Umm, let's see, minus this game against the Cowboys and he has had two, just two interceptions, has litterally doubled his QB rating and has managed to get his team into the red zone 3-4 times in the last 5 games. Anybody realize we weren't even doing THAT for the first half of the season?

But Gibbs play calling is uninspiring and unimaginative and can't win games. Yeah and just one of those redzone visits converted for a TD would have won EVERY SINGLE ONE of our last 5. Just One Play, One unimaginative play, executed correctly would have won 3 more games and put us in the play offs this year, changed our record from losing to winning.

But it wasn't fast enough for you, it wasn't awe-inspiring enough for you, and there-fore it's all wrong and doomed. But isn't that exactly how we got to were we are right now? New coaches, big price tag players, new schemes, New this, more money here, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!

Did Gibbs make mistakes? Of course he did. Has he struggled coming back? Any idiot could see that. But his simple, no frills, ground it out type of football is what wins games. Run, run, pass, first down. Run run, pass, first down... do this 6 or 7 times in a row. Those screens, hitches.. staples that will take any team very far.

All this team really needs is good leadership on the offensive side, and to be able to operate more on instinct then thought. The two things that will calm this team down on high pressure situations. Once they hit that point, then it's Bye, Bye to the penalties (Whoa an extra hundred yards on offense? NICE!!), and hello better execution (TD anyone?). One play.. just one more play and think of what a different outcome this season would be. Nothing fancy, nothing drastic. A simple offseason of pounding the point home into these guys heads.

And for those that want to claim our defense can not be as good next year, just let me say this.

Bowen, Taylor, Smoot and Springs in the back field.

Washington, Pierce, Arrington - LB corp

Griffin, Salvea'a, Noble, Evans on the line

All healthy, All on the field, and with an offense that can actually split time with them to help minimize injuries.. how can you even think we won't be at least as good?

If we had just gotten control of our PENALTIES, we might have been the lowest-scoring 9-7 or 10-6 team in NFL history. Even with our poor point-production.

I just don't see how we ever get better until our players grow up.

Renaldo Wynn took his helmet off on the field yesterday. Just TOOK IT OFF. The Redskins learned this lesson in front of the entire league when Michael Westbrook did it 6 YEARS ago!

Lack of mental discipline and physical conditioning is killing this team. Snyder's running a baby-sitting camp. These guys talk EVERY week about getting it together and cutting out the dumb penalties. They LIE. All you have to do is NOT move on the o-line. DON'T MOVE, Chris Samuels. All you have to do is NOT start a fight after a kickoff. DON"T FIGHT, Mike Sellers. The examples are too numerous to mention them all, but it's all about choices.

The Redskin players CHOOSE to be "star-atheletes", not football players. You know the ones I'm talking about.

For Clinton Portis to appear in a post-game interview wearing fur hats, expensive shades and a load of BLING makes me sick when he only ran for 35 yards that day.

For Chris Samuels to be seen LATE at night in a bar, drinking and SMOKING, 48 hours before a game is simply inexcuseable.

Discipline. Snyder doesn't care about it so the players won't either. Poor Joe Gibbs has his work CUT OUT for him.

Originally posted by FBChick

Did Gibbs make mistakes? Of course he did. Has he struggled coming back? Any idiot could see that. But his simple, no frills, ground it out type of football is what wins games. Run, run, pass, first down. Run run, pass, first down... do this 6 or 7 times in a row. Those screens, hitches.. staples that will take any team very far.

I agree. I smell bread and butter plays. That quick screen to Coles that we always run is developing into a short yardage bread and butter play along with many Clinton Portis gut runs. These guys will be practicing these plays forever. Once they can do those things blindfolded then they will work on the magic by selling bread and butter and eating victory. Our offense is still young. Gibbs is no fool. He has been successful at everything he has done. My main concern is how we are going to compete with the Eagles these next few years.

Originally posted by sonsofwashington

Think about it this way. We are the fifth worst offense in the league right now (28th). Things will get better! Ramsey MUST stay healthy.

The only place we got to go now is up. We can't fall any more back down.:dallasuck

While it's difficult to be optimistic about next season, especially after this past game, I can't help but look at teams like Pittsburg and San Diego and at least see some reason for optimism.

If anyone here says they saw those two teams being in the position they are this season, they are liars. Both of those teams' "old school" coaches were on the verge of being fired. After their teams' performances last season, there was little reason to expect .500 seasons, let alone being among the best in the league with sparkling won/loss records. They both drafted QBs in the first round, and were supposedly building for the future. Pittsburg was a team with no QB, a bad secondary, and a coach who might not be getting players to respond to him anymore. San Diego was supposed to be competing for the 1st pick in the draft, again, not a division crown. Drew Brees looked like nothing more than a career backup, they had no receivers, and the defense looked mediocre.

Fact is, I'm not sure even the most optimistic fans of Pittsburg and San Diego could have dreamed of the seasons those teams are having this year.

Guess I'm not read to declare the Skins forever hopeless after seeing some of the recent turnarounds in the NFL.

Originally posted by GURU

While it's difficult to be optimistic about next season, especially after this past game, I can't help but look at teams like Pittsburg and San Diego and at least see some reason for optimism.

If anyone here says they saw those two teams being in the position they are this season, they are liars. Both of those teams' "old school" coaches were on the verge of being fired. After their teams' performances last season, there was little reason to expect .500 seasons, let alone being among the best in the league with sparkling won/loss records. They both drafted QBs in the first round, and were supposedly building for the future. Pittsburg was a team with no QB, a bad secondary, and a coach who might not be getting players to respond to him anymore. San Diego was supposed to be competing for the 1st pick in the draft, again, not a division crown. Drew Brees looked like nothing more than a career backup, they had no receivers, and the defense looked mediocre.

Fact is, I'm not sure even the most optimistic fans of Pittsburg and San Diego could have dreamed of the seasons those teams are having this year.

Guess I'm not read to declare the Skins forever hopeless after seeing some of the recent turnarounds in the NFL.

I'm optomistic about next season, heck I'm optomistic about Sunday.

If I think we're going to lose--what's the point of even watching.

Archived