Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Gibbs 4th Quarter Time Out...

red zone

Just inside 2 minutes in the fourth quarter Chris Cooley caught one of his five balls on the night and basically dove for the sticks near the side line. The official gave us a horrible spot (shocker!) saying Cooley had gone out of bounds short of the marker. The stadium replay looked pretty conclusive Cooley had made it, but inside 2 minutes, challenges have to come from the officials in the booth.

The Redskins called a time out, not to stop the clock, but to give the replay officials time to think about reviewing the play. Ultimately they did and they overturned the ruling on the field giving the Redskins a fresh set of downs.

In a season when Coach Gibbs & Co. have been beat up for clock management, losing challenges etc., I thought this bit of "coaching" moxy should not go unheralded.

Coach Gibbs is gonna get this thing right folks. :2cents:

There was also that punt where Gibbs was trying to get a TO, looked like he may have been thinking about going for it.

The clock management stuff is really the only thing that bothers me about Gibbs. I trust his offensive aptitude, leadership qualities, all that stuff. But the clock issues are ridiculous. It's not as if it's been a few games here and there - it's every single contest.

skinsfan03 wrote: The clock management stuff is really the only thing that bothers me about Gibbs. I trust his offensive aptitude, leadership qualities, all that stuff. But the clock issues are ridiculous. It's not as if it's been a few games here and there - it's every single contest.

Well, '03, the point of my post was actually to site an instance were Gibbs and his staff actually managed a tough situation properly in crunch time for a change. ;)

I realize the point of the original post, and I was trying to support it by citing the instance where Gibbs was about to use a timeout at a crucial moment to possibly gain control of momentum. Edit: I guess I should have added that it's too bad the refs didn't grant him the timeout, and that I thought it was a good call.

The second part of my post was just a caveat. And Bubba, I don't know what games you're watching but the Redskins must have the most delay-of-game penalties of any team in the NFL. I guess you could put the blame on Brunell/Ramsey for not being cognizant of the playclock, but they're in that situation all too often. At some point, the efficiency and precision of the offense has to fall on Gibbs. I love the man, but enough is enough.

We were 4-8 last night and now 4-9..... I would go for it, past the 50 yard line, on any and every 4th down and less than 3 for the rest of the season if we are not in FG range. Why are we so conservative. I did like that about Spurrier.... he would go for broke when we had nothing to lose.

I don;t know what their intent was (with calling the time out), but it certainly ended up helping by getting them the right call.

I've ben doubfounded with the lack of official reviews, though.

In the past couple weeks alone, there have been several plays the refs should have overturned (the Meyshawn one for the Cowboys sticks out), but didn't even review under 2 minutes.

Out of curiosity, does it make any sense that coaches can't call for their own reviews in additiona to the Refs under 2 minutes?

I understand keeping the booth out of the game until the 2 minute mark hits, but I do not understand why you have to hogtie coaches at the most critical junctures in the game.

Archived