Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Should we hire an OC this offseason?

freakofthesouth

Joe Gibbs is a Hall of Fame coach, w/ incredible motivational skills and a knack for promoting team conitnuity.

I look at the success of our defense as not only an accomplishment of Greg Williams, but also a byproduct of Gibbs' team mentality.

However, his offensive play-calling this season has been atrocious. Granted, this is his first season back, and the learning curve in today's NFL is steep.

But perhaps our team could really benefit from an outside, modern OC, who could work together w/ Gibbs on modernizing his attack.

So, should we try to find an OC this offseason, or not?

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

Push play.

Any questions?

Chubakah: That is one of the greatest things I've ever seen, and I agree with You 99%. Heres my if. If Mike Martz is fired in St Louis I would look at bringing him on to work with Gibbs. He is a Gibbs by product that could only help the team. If hes not available stick with what we got it will work. Players were open all over the field last night. Ramsey is still a little slow in his reads and will get better in time. I'm willing to bet his #'s are better than Mcnabb through 20 games, on keel with Peyton Manning and hands down better than Joey and Mr Carr who were drafted ahead of him. Mark my words this team is a force next year. I'm very excited, unfortunately we have to wait 9 agonizing months till September.

joe_gibbs.jpg

THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND!!!!

OK, so it's 10-10; we're pretty split on this one.

As far as Neophyte's aggressive post is concerned...

I would venture to say that the NFL has evolved quite a bit since Gibbs last took the reigns. Defenses dictate the offense's moves much more in 'modern' football; they force the issue nearly every play. So, by 'modern', I mean 'modern' in a sense that the 'modern' NFL is a bit different than it was 12 years ago.

Just to clear up any ambiguity there.

I want to keep continuity above all things. But, if we were to bring in someone new to coordinate on offense and maybe call plays. I would go with Tice, who may be on the hot seat with Martz. Tice knows the system but has adapted with Moss and Culpepper. Not as wide open as Martz not as conservative as Gibbs has played in his return.

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

I would venture to say that the NFL has evolved quite a bit since Gibbs last took the reigns. Defenses dictate the offense's moves much more in 'modern' football; they force the issue nearly every play. So, by 'modern', I mean 'modern' in a sense that the 'modern' NFL is a bit different than it was 12 years ago.

Yes and...?

Look, Gibbs was figuring out how to beat defenses before you were born and before I really knew what football was. He will get this figured out now, just as he did back then. He is one of the greats coaches in history at "adjusting" and he will adjust to the "modern" NFL too. Right now he has his hands full figuring which players are "Redskins" and which are pretending. Next year, this will be a scary offense. Hell, I rather expect it to be scary the rest of this year.

Originally posted by Neophyte

Yes and...?

Look, Gibbs was figuring out how to beat defenses before you were born and before I really knew what football was. He will get this figured out now, just as he did back then. He is one of the greats coaches in history at "adjusting" and he will adjust to the "modern" NFL too. Right now he has his hands full figuring which players are "Redskins" and which are pretending. Next year, this will be a scary offense. Hell, I rather expect it to be scary the rest of this year.

Hey buddy-

You shouldn't feel the need to stick up for Joe against me; I am simply playing devil's advocate.

In fact, I voted to not bring in anyone else on offense.

So when you know now what you know, it kinda makes your post obsolete.

I definitely think there should be at least on hire on the offensive side of the ball, if only to help Gibbs get up to speed more quickly. Teach a few things here our there about the downfield pass etc. We could get someone in a fashion similar to the Ravnes and Fassell and I think it would really help us.

Archived