Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All about Sam Adams.

Zen-like Todd

First, guess how old he is. Post below. Then, check out his profile.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2825

Now, here's something interesting. Big Daddy's profile.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2760

Come on, tell me that's not interesting. And yes, there would be a lot of beef in the middle between the two of them.

Adams is only 28? I thought he was 5 years older. That's surprising. Come to think about it, we should have plenty of money for him.

Greer and Albright will essentially erase the Cap value of Trotter for 2003.

And given all of our trade downs, we won't come close to spending all of our rookie cap.

And Coleman and Bruce will be forced to give back a few millions with pay cuts. And if Davis restructures???? That could easily turn into $6-7 Million of free-up money. But they might want to think about locking Jansen into long-term chains.

By the way, since Ramsey was the 32 pick, would his salary be slotted against the first pick in the 2nd round for a year ago .... when there were only 31 teams in the league?

The only concern I have with Adams is that Wilkinson is not the Goose for a partner. Wilkinson is NOT effective holding up blockers. What he's done well in the past, especially last year, is he picks a gap and puts that big body on one shoulder of the offensive lineman and he grinds them down with that huge size. In this mold he can force blockers to account for him because he was very disruptive last year over the final 10 weeks.

Adams was this type of player earlier in his caree with Seattle, but not the last couple. If you can continue to get Adams to play to a high level while doing less stand and hold and more get into a gap, then he could be effective. Certainly he's the absolute best option left out there and with him, you'd have a difficult time questioning the defense too harshly.

To do a little dreaming, if we were to get Woodson and Adams, that would give us six Pro Bowlers from last year, a seventh from the last two years, and Smoot. That would be some kind of dream :). I think the Cowboys will get Adams personally. Just a feeling. But, we'll know if Lewis has the love soon I guess :).

Agreed, Yomar. And his numbers, while an upgrade from what we have right now, are not exactly inspiring.

Consider: 22 tackles and 2 sacks in 2001.

Now, Dana Stubblefield was released for underproducing, yet his WORST year in Washington was 32 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

let's face the truth for a moment.

Sam Adams isn't coming to the Redskins because the Skins don't have the money to pay him.

it is a fallacy to believe there is some kind of zephyr that is going to sweep in and redress our inability to fill our holes with capable players on draft day.

yes, players on the Ravens do like Marvin Lewis. But none have come to Washington as of yet. And I don't expect many to do so.

it comes down to money and opportunity.

we didn't get Corey Harris, in fact we lost him to the Detroit Lions a team that was 1-15 last year.

Lional Dalton never came to Washington. Rob Burnett didn't come to Washington. It appears McCrary will restructure his deal rather than leave Baltimore.

The Redskins probably won't be successful in luring Rod Woodson to town.

The team simply isn't close enough to being a contender for Woodson, 38, to uproot himself and come down here.

My guess is he resigns with the Steelers to end his career with his old friend Bill Cowher on a team close to being of Super Bowl quality once again.

I don't think we can count on getting Adams, but it is a possibility. Depending in the re-structuring of Davis maybe, but Coleman and Smith definately, thats a lot of money. Coleman and Smith if cut would combine for over 6 mil in cap savings this year. Now I don't think we chould pay Adams what he is asking, but let market forces do the work for us. Marvin Lewis and his linebacker-centered D is the exception rather than the rule in today's NFL. The emphasis is on playmakers on the d-line, Warren Sapp, Jevon Kearse et al. Sam Adams if used correctly is a very solid player, but Ted Washington is a far better player than he is and Ted Washington met with far less interest from teams than his ability warrants. Sam Adams is no Corey Simon, he is an immovable object with some athleticism, but excelled at attracting double teams, not a whole lot of teams are in the market for that. Now the difference between Adams and Washington is that Adams played for the Ravens infamous D and is slightly younger, but he has priced his way out of the market and when he comes back down, the Skins could get him. The Bears signed free agent defensive tackles Ted Washington and Keith Traylor last offseason. Washington received a three-year, $7.5 million deal and Traylor a three-year, $6.3 million contract. We can afford to give Adams this and maybe a little more, but we would be foolish to make it any longer in length than these 3 year deals and I would prefer a 1 or 2 year deal.

And who exactly would play LDE if we cut Smith and Coleman? Even imagining that we grab Adams, we have a line of Wilkinson, Adams, Wynn, and .... No One! Please don't tell me that one of our depth guys is going to step in and hold down the corner. An aging B.Smith or M. Coleman is still better than anything else we've got going on. And BTW, those guys are definitely on the downside of their careers, but they don't suck. They will make valuable contributions to the team if they are both here.

I happen to be one who thinks there is a possibility Sam Adams will come to D.C. Especially after we restructure Davis, Coleman and Smith's contracts.

We could give Adams the same kind of contract that Trotter got -- although we have not seen the official breakdown yet -- but which was reportedly only $ 1 Mil upfront [minimum salary for 2002 and 2003] and $7 Mil guaranteed payable NEXT YEAR. Of course we have to be careful of the cap ramifications of this business of always pushing salaries to the rear, but it is still possible.

Dallas will not sign Sam Adams because they have big money tied up in three DT's they rotate: Glover, Michael Myers and Brandon Noble. They have made no attempt to go after him. As for all of those guys who supposedly didnt want to come to D.C., most of them we made no offers. Besides, you cant succeed in signing everyone, as there are too many variables involved.

But if we WERE able to add Sam Adams and Rod Woodson........ we are talking about a BIG TIME defense!

Hmmm. Lets see ....... Adams had 19 solo tackles and wants about $ 5.5 Mil per season as a franchise type player. That aint unreasonable. He only makes a little over $ 289,000 per tackle. Sh-t, I say lets pig out and sign him up too. :lol:

I was reading somewhere (I think it was Clayton on ESPN.com) that the Browns are shopping Orpheus Roye in order to clear salary. They may cut him in June.

Anyone know anything about him? I believe he played for the Steelers before being snatched up by the Browns as a free agent.

Is he someone worth consideration?

I thought Adams WASN'T under contract, but in fact teams were waiting for a period to end where they would have to latch on to the remaining part of the contract, as a cap condition?? Something along those lines anyway, but it would end prior to June 1, thus the immediate snatch by the Jets, who keep stealing away some secrets.

I think there's a good chance to land Woodson, but unlike Bruce and Darrell, his command of a contract, whether public or private, is pretty much gone. He wouldn't come near the bucks he made in Baltimore. Ironically, Woodson could just as easily re-sign with Pittsburgh to see him off to retirement, repectful like.

We can land someone out there and it will be more than enough to have the LB's flourish!

Archived