Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations!

Guest Goatroper

Guest Goatroper

Now that you've signed Trotter, the Redskins just may have the second-best defense in the NFC East. If you draft a serviceable DT, that is.

the truth is the Redskins defense over the last 10 games of last season was one of the top units in the NFC.

the first five games where the team failed to show up skewed the final numbers.

in any case, the team has made significant improvements at DE against the run with Reynaldo Wynn, at linebacker with TWO pro bowl acquisitions in Armstead and now Trotter.

you add that to the core of Arrington,Wilkinson, Bailey, Smoot and that adds up to more than a decent defense under Marvin Lewis. :)

as you mentioned the team has a hole at DT, but finding a run stufffing DT is on the radar screen and that spot can be addressed over the weekend in the entry draft and in veteran free agency after June 1 if necessary.

but with or without the addition of a superior talent at DT (we may end up with a serviceable player only), the Redskins defense has the capability of being one of the top units in the NFC in 2002.

What I like about this offseason is that we were already so far ahead of the Cowboys before the first free agent was signed just by the Lewis signing. Now, the Cowboys have added Glover, Hardy and Westbrook to this point, and the Redskins absolutely trump them even in player moves with Trotter, Armstead and Wynn.

The Cowboys have helped themselves a great deal this offseason. And yet, you have to wonder what Jones must be thinking to know that despite that, the Redskins have still done so much more. Even if the Cowboys get a solid defender in the draft and the Redskins go offense, the moves so far by the Redskins will be very difficult to overcome and you know Jones and Snyder compete in these matters.

The Redskins are a single solid defensive tackle away from being assured of being the best defense in the NFC. As it stands, you'd have to rate the Redskins as tops. Lewis probably wouldn't have it any other way.

Guest Goatroper

Art,

Redskins have excellent DBs; Cowboys DBs not too shabby and improving as we speak. Both teams should be able to cover the pass.

Redskins add two brand name linebackers to the resident brand name linebacker, a new linebacker coach and brand name DT; Cowboys add decent linebacker to two solid veteran linebackers working in groove of a DT who has found his legs. Skins are going to have to get acquainted, which will take time.

Cowboys have the edge with a deep bench on DL; Redskins are weak on the DL and that is a fix that can't be made at the last minute. Again, the Skins are going to be milling around and will take time to settle.

On paper, the Redskin Defense is impressive; Cowboys D will be working as a unit.

Pokes will have the better D this year.

Wrong. Your CB's atrent to shabby? Ha! Who the hell are your DB's? Westbrook! He couldnt stay healthy. I don't even know who your other guy is.

The real reason your defense finished 4th overall last year was the fact that your offense stayed on the field by throwing INTS for TDS, which the Cowboys lead the league in. Nothing scares me about your defense. You have improved but you have no studs like Bailey, Arrington or the guys we just signed.

Guest Goatroper

If we were comparing trading cards, you would have the higher valued names. If your celebrities are bumping into each other on the field (or locker room) they can't live up to their star billing.

I am not arguing personnel, rather team cohesiveness. Your new DC, also a celebrity, is working in a new environment with new personalities -- not the least of which is a new HC. Adjusting to new work surroundings, procdures and co-workers takes time.

The real disparty between the teams, however, is stength of depth on the DL. Fresh legs when it counts.

The only reason why you had one of the best pass defenses in the league last year was because teams were so aware of your shoddy run D that nobody passed. There was no need to. That's why there's usually such a huge discrepency between teams run and pass D, except for extremely solid defenses.

Lets go position by position shal we.

DE-Smith-Future Hall of Famer-good pass rusher

DE-Colman-2001 Probowler

DT-Dan Wilkinson-Had his best season last year

DT-Wynn or ?-Wynn is a runstopper

OLB-Arrington-Need I say more?-2002 Probowler

MLB-Trotter-See Arrington-2002 Probowler

OLB-Armstead-See Arrington-2002 Probowler

SS-?

FS-?

CB-Bailey-2002 Probowler-The man

CB-Smoot/Green-Take your pick, they are both good.

Glover may be the only position you have better than us, and the safties are a question with us right now. How is yours better?

GR, reply within.....

"Art,

Redskins have excellent DBs; Cowboys DBs not too shabby and improving as we speak. Both teams should be able to cover the pass."

The Redskins do have excellent DBs. The Cowboys do not have excellent DBs. The Cowboys have ok DBs, but they are hardly "excellent". Woodson is clearly a great safety and better as a player than what we have at safety. However, against the pass, David Terrell is no worse than his equal in man coverage, given that Terrell is a corner playing out of position. This strength, coupled with Smoot and Bailey, simply give the Redskins an overwhelmingly fine pass defense.

"Redskins add two brand name linebackers to the resident brand name linebacker, a new linebacker coach and brand name DT; Cowboys add decent linebacker to two solid veteran linebackers working in groove of a DT who has found his legs. Skins are going to have to get acquainted, which will take time."

Where you forget is that Lewis tends to allow his corners to play a style thay are already suited to play. Unlike Kurt Schottenheimer last year who took the better part of six weeks to allow Bailey to play a majority of man coverage, this defense will be based, largely, on what it already did well. Lewis comes in and immediately has the respect of every player on that defense, unlike Schottenheimer, who many players on the defense felt only had the job because his brother was the head coach.

Last year the players finally stopped playing for the coaches and rallied together to play for themselves. Immediately, with Lewis, all 11 guys have a coordinator they are going to play for before he puts in his first defense. They are already better acquainted than you'd like to realize. Meanwhile, Dallas played a very soft, very risk-free defense designed to use lateral speed to disrupt offenses. This year, due to what will be deemed upgrades at various positions, the Cowboys will adjust their defense to be more aggressive. Take more risk. Be a lot like the Redskins defense of last year over the last 10-13 weeks.

It'll take some time for them to fit into that system and even when they do, they'll surrender some big plays because that's what happens in those systems. Trust me, the Redskins gave them up too playing the same. We just have better outside cover guys to limit those a bit better than you.

"Cowboys have the edge with a deep bench on DL; Redskins are weak on the DL and that is a fix that can't be made at the last minute. Again, the Skins are going to be milling around and will take time to settle."

Despite having a lower statistical ranking than the Cowboys in yards surrendered, a legitimate argument can be made that Washington was a better defense than Dallas a year ago. Washington merely had such an atrocious start, skewed so badly by that early misuse of players, it wasn't as pretty on paper as it felt in reality as a whole. You say Dallas has a depth advantage on the DL. Perhaps. Right now, I don't see that as an issue. But, it's April. And the Redskins defensive line was "weak" a year ago, you say, which, is hard to argue with. Yet, this was hardly a "strength" for the Cowboys, who generated similarly weak pass rush numbers and who generated far few fewer turnovers as a whole.

And, it's April today. Either team may have additions to make that may change the face of this particular conversation. What won't change is that Dallas surrendered fewer yards than the Redskins over 16 weeks last year. Just as certainly, an argument can be made that Washington had a defense with a greater impact on the game, based upon creating turnovers and righting very poor early play to become over the final 10-13 weeks, a top defensive unit. But, it's of no matter really, we are more talented today than you are, and, better coached, and it's still April, so, that talent may change, but the coaching won't.

"On paper, the Redskin Defense is impressive; Cowboys D will be working as a unit.

Pokes will have the better D this year. "

The Cowboys defense can add the same number of players to the roster that the Redskins defense can, and they can institute a more aggressive scheme in which they utilize linebackers on blitzes -- no sacks from your linebackers last year at all -- and this will work together as a unit. The Redskins can have clear advantages in player ability, with younger, more game-changing players, being coached by a guy said to be the best in football coaching defense, and in your world, the advantage is to the Cowboys? Sorry. The Redskins already have the better defense right now. It's April, so get to work and see if you can't change that by August.

Guest Goatroper

As you said, amigo, "It is April." Let's check back later in the season and compare notes.

Good luck in the draft.

Guest Goatroper

You are comparing the star quality of idividual players; I am comparing position units and speculating on how they will perform together.

Based on my criteria: DL=Cowboys, LB=Cowboys, DB=Redksins

Now, if Danny swaps us Champ Bailey for our 6th pick, the DB goes to Cowboys too.

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin!

Goat,

Did you just write that the Cowboys had the advantage at linebacker? What the hell criteria allows such an outrageous thing? Oh wait, is it the, "I'm a Cowboy fan and therefore it must be so," rationale?

Do you realize that saying such stupid things makes even some reasonable or fair things you say questionable because it's clear you really are clueless. NO ONE would say your backers are the quality of our backers. You have fine backers. We just have better by a wide margins.

But, I'm sure you don't even see how this can be so, which is why you really don't have anything to add to a conversation. When even the most clear, completely obvious things avoid your perception, everything you say is questionable.

Guest Goatroper

Art, Please review my comments about "trading card" versus "unit cohesion." Yes, your LBs have the higher trading card value, but as a unit, I assert that the Cowboys' linebacking unit will turn in a superior performance than the Skins'.

No question, you guys have super stars, but that does not always translate into superior unit performance.

If you are waiting for me to concede that, individually, your LBs have the stronger credentials, done. Your guys are better on paper; my guys will play better on the field this season, for reasons given in earlier posts.

There is no rationale you can use to suggest your linebackers, who we all know are not the players our linebackers are, will play better than our linebackers. Maybe if we had Mike Nolan as our coordinator you might get a pass on that kind of uninformed comment. But, when we have Marvin Lewis coaching you don't get that.

Lewis knows a thing or two about good linebacker play I think. He steps in and immediately has the respect of EVERY SINGLE Redskin defender because he's black and, more, he's a winner who the players know deserves more than just the job he has. Unlike Kurt Schottenheimer who was not respected and through six weeks, mostly confused, Lewis will come in and every player will listen to him and even if he asks them to do things Kurt did early on, they won't wonder why, they'll just say, "Yes."

Just like Rhodes. To suggest you can't get superior players and athletes to perform as well as your lesser able players is ludicrous and more when you factor in who our guys are playing for. Our guys are better players and they are the better unit of players. You guys have fine backers. But, in no way are they fairly projected as in any way being an advantage for your team.

If they turn out to be better, well, that's great for you. But, it would be like me telling you that Wuerffel is projected by my criteria of knowing the offense and having comfort with Spurrier to outproduce Carter. Oh, wait, that's not such a stretch. I'll try to think of something outrageous to compare. It might take some time though.

Goat, I have to admit you guys have had an extremely good draft. I also believe with a few more additions Dallas can make a jump from a below .500 team to a .500 or better team. And if I were a Cowpuke fan I would be really happy now. But please don't think for a nanosecond that your LB's will perform better then our's. Lewis should be a head coach right now. All the players know it. I hate to play the race card because I usually get so pissed when I see others do it. If Lewis was white he would be a head coach. He now has count them 3 ALL PRO black LB's. If you think for one minute that these guys won't be out to prove a point and send a clear message, your dead wrong. These guys will be wreaking havoc on offenses. Qb's will be petrified to stick there heads out of the pocket, and won't feel safe in the pocket. They will be playing the music from jaws when opposing qb's break the huddle. DA DA DA DA DA..........WHAM.......They will set a record on how many players then send to be medivaced to trauma centers. Get the picture?

Guest Goatroper

You guys have 3 Pro Bowl linebackers; only 2 out of 3 Cowboys linebackers are Pro Bowl guys. As I have said, on paper, you have the better LBs.

This is an argument without a winner in April. I pledge to meet back here mid-season and compare notes. If I am wrong, I will gladly admit it.

Goat,

What you said is false. You don't have two Pro Bowlers. You have one Pro Bowler and one former Pro Bowler. We have three Pro Bowlers. You only have one because Brooks was hurt, else you'd have had two former Pro Bowlers versus our three actual Pro Bowlers :).

Guest Goatroper

Art, I stand corrected on "former Pro Bowl" versus "Pro Bowl" guys. But I have already given you the edge on bragging rights anyhow.

Maybe I am (unfairly?) factoring in the disparty between our DLs to weight the LB unit. My rationale is that three purdy durn good LBs behind an excellent DL will outplay three excellent LBs behind a mediocre DL. As I said, I may be trying to leverage our superior DT in predicting LB unit performance.

OBTW, seems like your draft team missed a chance or two to get a decent DL. What happened?

I may be overestimating the downside of your having a new HC and new DC, but I think history will show that getting acquainted in the NFL takes some time. Then again, you may be underestimating the getting-to-know-you factor.

We'll see.

Hail to The Rivalry

Goat,

I think Glover is currently better than the hole we have right now. Get back to me when we have someone there, or when we know we're comparing him to Wynn. Wilkinson is better, presently than your current body at the opposite tackle, whether it's Nix, or Myers, whatever. Of course, you could add Adams or similar and we'll get back on this too if you'd like.

Coleman is older, but still better than anyone you have at end, and Smith is Bruce Smith, so, while it's a serious question as to whether he'll continue playing well -- especially as well as he played late last year -- it's not a question that he still attracts great attention and though I may grant you a bit of an advantage at this end, you are very much overstating your defensive line advantage.

One team that was below the Redskins last year in sacks was Dallas. Your line is younger and has more depth, but, it's hardly something I'd do much hollering over. Our line is older and lacks depth, but, if we put starters up, you aren't stealing a large advantage and you know it. In fact, you could make a legitimate argument here, though, today, I'll grant you the advantage because we don't really know what we have yet at one tackle spot, though, it could well be Wynn.

Guest Goatroper

Once again, we are into the "trading card" versus "team cohesion" argument. Best thing about our DL is a strong bench, which means we can keep fresh legs.

Mike Myers will spell Glover.

Brandon Noble is the nobody you couldn't remember, a solid, blue-collar overachiever whose job is to occupy two blockers from a ****ed nose tackle position, leaving the MLB free to make the play. John Nix will rotate in.

Stewart and Blade will also be in the DT rotation -- couple of guys we picked up last year

Greg Ellis is the DE whose name you forgot. It is a name you will get to know, trust me. Guy on the other end is Eb Ekuban coming back from an injury. You may not remember Eb, but Jeff George does. Pepe Zellner, the alternate, can bring it around the corner.

Bruce Smith? Yes, I well remeber the late Bruce Smith after having faced him in a couple of Super Bowls back in a previous life. I have a soft spot for all Hokies.

Yes, please, get back to me when you have those holes filled.

Archived