Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot's post game interview

js79

Originally posted by redman

I don't think that a player on the business end of a 28-6 loss should be talking about officiating . . .

In most cases I would agree with you there man, but this is not one of those cases.

This game was competitive until the refs stepped in late and took it over. The bad calls by the officials broke the back of the team and gave the Eagles all of the momentum that carried them to the two late scores. This game was a close, hard fought battle until the refs took it away from us. This game would not have been a 28-6 loss if the refs had called a good game. We may still have lost, but at least we would have lost fair and square. I don't think any of us would have complained then, as we were heavy underdogs, and we held our own.

Besides the blown challenge call, and the bogus PI on Smoot that put them in position to score, they also gave the ball back to the Eagles on that failed 4th down attempt, as Betts clearly had the first down on third by about a half yard and the spot was simply awful. There should never have been a fourth down on that series. Another bad call was when Leavens crawled the last three yards of a carry on his knees and they gave him the yards.

Another trend I have noticed is the refs refusal to give us the full 15 yard PI call. They have repeatedly called the opposing defense for holding rather than PI, even when the ball is clearly already in the air as was the case tonight. That play would have been a TD if not for the Eagle corner's interferance with Coles. The corner knew it too, that's why he did it in the first place. It was the best play available to him, and with a little help from the refs it worked out great for him.

The bad officiating even extended into timekeeping. In the second quarter we ran a play out of bounds that stopped the clock with about 2:20 to go in the half. The refs ran the clock for some reason, and we didn't get a play off in time because we were unaware the clock was running. There was no mention of this in the broadcast, but it was obvious when Ramsey truned to the officials and shrugged after they blew the whistle and signaled the 2 minute warning. He was like "wtf?" So was Gibbs on the sideline.

All of this is simply unacceptable. One game a year like this is bad enough. 2 is a disgrace. 3 and the conspiracy talk that once sounded ludicrous is beginning to almost ring true.

OTOH, let's face it.

When a WR is going deep, the ball's in the air, and the WR falls down, the ref is going to at least suspect he was pushed/tripped/whatever, even if he didn't see it.

Just like, when a pass rusher starts to come through the o-line then flips and falls flat, the ref is going to wonder is he saw holding.

Fred, I think you got robbed. Odds are, it'll happen again, too.

questionable calls by the refs

1. mcnabbs scramble when taylor jerked him up by the collar , it was short yet they gave it to him without bringing the sticks

2. the PI call on smoot ......

3. the challenge where dude was freakin outta bounds and it stood ...drove it downfield on us

and why is it they get away with holding , i swear look at the tape , the eagle got away with so much holding , even announcers on the radio was saying it ....its just bad i dont like excuses but damn

If i was the Redskins, i should make a tape or multiple tapes of this year, and previous years of how badly games are officiated for us... a complete breakdown on how often it happens and when it happens in contrast to our opponents....

A lot of teams out there like the Ravens and such bank on staying in close games, so a call here or there can dramatically change their season.. They need to take a close look and see how it has effected our seasons... and maybe cause some changes with these refs who consistently call biased games.

Originally posted by ~kriztalmeth~

questionable calls by the refs

1. mcnabbs scramble when taylor jerked him up by the collar , it was short yet they gave it to him without bringing the sticks

2. the PI call on smoot ......

3. the challenge where dude was freakin outta bounds and it stood ...drove it downfield on us

and why is it they get away with holding , i swear look at the tape , the eagle got away with so much holding , even announcers on the radio was saying it ....its just bad i dont like excuses but damn

Skins played well in the first half but idiotic plays and execution cost them. SOmeone needs to have a talk with Taylor that was stupid what he did to T.O.

by the way not McNabb's collar, by his facemask, watch the tape.

anytime you are not looking at the ball and you push a receiver and he falls 9 times out of 10 they're going to call it.

the challange was a bad call I'll give you that

however both of your field goal drives were on calls from the refs that were on third downs too.

By the way Kearse was being held almost every play so I don't wanna hear it

Face it any team that is inside the 10 twice and gets only 3 points, is not going to win many games.:cheers:

You 2 both need to watch the game again. The Smoot had a decent game, not great but descent. Look at the replay and tell me that was pass interference, both players had their heads turned going for the ball. Tell me Pinkston didn't step out.

It's still no excuse to lose, but when you have this happen week after week, it does get old.

My Jet-fan brother-in-law watched the game with me and couldn't understand why Gibbs didn't challenge the incorrect spot on the McNabb scramble. I told him it would just cost the Skins a timeout, they'd never win the challenge. He didn't believe it, I mean the mistake was obvious and clear on review. When Gibbs did challenge the Pinkston play I told him we'd lose, again he didn't believe it. He understands now.

Those calls didn't cost us the game, we have plenty of other things to worry about. But it certainly kept the game from being competitive. And of course if the gift calls had actually gone in our favor; well, I'm not gonna go there because its not gonna happen. Over the course of the year you expect things to even out. Its already too late for this year.

Archived