Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys vs. Redskins - Offseason poker

Qcard

Your move Synder.

It si no surprise Jerry Jones is trying to solidify our defense. So far he has signed 2 sack generating Pro Bowlers and a shut down ProBowl corner(whe3n Healthy), couple that with either Jammer or Roy Williams we may have something here.

Having cap room is a luxury, Synder hiring Steve Spurrier made Jerry's mision this offseason very evident and simple: Get to the QB and shut down the opposing teams best receiver.

I noticed Synder is courting Jeremiah Trotter. Our success against the Redskins starts with Emmitt having a big day. Signing Trotter will go a long way in trying to stop Emmitt.

Going into the offseason, Trotter and Glover where the marquee free agents until Trotter got tagged. As a Cowboy fan I hope the Skins get into a bidding war with the Texans and GreenBay hiking the price.

Well the ball is in your court, I can't wait to see what trick Synder has up his sleeve. :laugh:

All razzing aside I honestly hope Jerrah gets it right this year and we have 2 teams playing each other and competing for playoff spots. The rivalry will never end for me, but it sure has been awful luke warm for about 20 years. Too bad McKay isn't Dallas coach between him and Spurrier we could fill a book with notable quotes. One things for sure, the Dallas Washington rivalry is sure to heat back up for the players. It never died for the fans, but the players haven't felt that heat since Landry and Gibbs went at it.

I'd hardly qualify Westbrook as anything more than a solid corner. When healthy he's a pretty good player, but, he is not a shut down corner in the true sense. Either way, the moves to shore your defense up were the correct one's for the Cowboys to make. Getting bodies who can pressure the passer will cause more turnovers and will strengthen your defense immesurably.

Though, both Hardy and Westbrook have a had injury problems and this is something the Redskins have been able to avoid. We've signed younger, healthier players so far to augment some of our losses. Snyder's not really on the clock though. Jones has a bit of going to go before he moves Snyder into a counter measure.

The signing of Spurrier wasn't enough, obviously, to put the Redskins over the top and force the Cowboys to react by making defensive signings in the offseason. The hire of Lewis, however, gives the Redskins a clear edge before either team even picked up a single player. Trotter would qualify our offseason as an immense success, which is great, since it's already largely been a success already.

The move is on Jones who will have to continue making smart football decisions as Snyder has this offseason rather than making a splashy move on the offensive side of the ball in the draft. If you pick a receiver or runner, your offseason, which has been good thusfar, once again becomes a question mark due to your leadership going in a direction opposite the smart way to proceed.

If the Redskins do sign Trotter though before the draft, which I doubt as I doubt we'll be the team that signs him at all, it will likely force Jerry to go offense as a counter move to our strength on defense. As a Cowboy fan, I'm sure your greatest fear is the X-Factor that is Jones in this draft. Go with defense, and he's put whip cream on a splendid offseason. Go offense, and, well, he's Jerry Jones, what did you expect. :)

Well we have'nt done bad ourselves.

We've signed a multiple Pro Bowl LB who dominates games when healthy.

We've strengthened the interior of our OL by signing two players who excelled as pass protectors and run blockers in the high octane offenses of St. Louis and Indi.

The signing of Renaldo Wynn will greatly improve the DL against the run and his pass rushing skills seem to be developing each year he's been in the NFL. His $3.5 signing bonus on a 6 year deal was a steal.

We've added a couple of receivers who excel in Spurrier's offense.

The second best MLB in the NFL will be added to the list next which will give Washington the best LB corps in the NFL.

the Redskins have a better group of core younger players to build around, high picks that have either already made the pro bowl or are on the doorstep.

the Cowboys MAY have several younger players ready to step up to that level, we will have to see.

But again, I don't see the offseason so far as a Dallas dunk.

You speak about stopping Emmitt. The Skins acquisitions of Wynn, a good run defender, and Armstead at WLB who is 15 pounds heavier than Shawn Barber, are moves to address that weakness.

Yes, the Westbrook signing helps Dallas IF he is healthy. Remember he was a high #1 pick by Detroit and Millen would not have given up on him unless there were some questions about whether he is still has that speed that made him a top prospect coming out of the draft.

Glover is an outstanding pass rusher, my question is, how will he hold up in the run game? He is undersized and was protected in New Orleans by playing next to perhaps the best run defending DT in the NFC in Norman Hand.

Sure, there are questions about Rod Jones fitting in at guard for the Skins, about Jacquez Green being productive now that he is reunited with Spurrier, etc.........

But you don't seem to be admitting there are question marks with the Dallas players as well.

People talk about the Cowboys having Carter and Hutchinson to develop, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jones takes Joey Harrington at #6.

Even though some youth has worked its way near the top in Dallas the team still relies on older players at key positions including Emmitt, Galloway, Ismail, Woodson, etc.......

This is still a team in transition.

It is no surprise Jerry Jones is trying to solidify our defense.

Yeah, but why. Wasn't it in like the top 5 last year.

What have ya'll done to solidify your 5-11, 31st ranked offense?

You think hiring bruce will be enough??? :rotflmao:

I think our matchups this year will be the same as previous: The Boys will try to make us prove we can stop Emmitt, and they'll try to make us beat them passing.

They've beaten us 9 straight. They're going to stick with what's been working.

I sort of wish we played Dallas early, when Steve's offense is still a question mark. More mystery, more thinking. But, this late meeting will also mean that Steve'll have had half a year to tweak things, so that may work out to our advantage.

Archived