Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Illegal Motion. Agree or Disagree?

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Originally posted by skinsfan080

99 times out of a hundred that isnt called.

Look at it this way, do you think if it wasent called, Packer fan would be upset saying " Its Illegal Motion, Its Illegal"... I dont think so. Its just some bs that didnt need to be and really is never called.

Exactly. They could call holding just about every play, but they don't. That "roughing" call was crap too.

Yes it was a bad call. I saw the play in a local bar and the captions on the screen said the call was originally on the running back, Portis. I get home and my brother tells me it was on Thrash. I said the caption on TV said the running back.

Sure enough, in a WP article, Gibbs said he asked for an explanation, and they said it was the running back as well. THEN they turn around and announce it on Thrash.

Check WP...it's explained there...

The call was an illegal procedure penalty against Thrash. The ref said he was moving forward at the snap. Look at the replay. He was set and was not moving forward. You can move forward before the snap so long as you become "set" in a stance prior to the snap of the ball.

If you watch the replay, that is exactly what happened. There was not two players moving at the same time, Thrash moved forward to the line of scrimmage, became set and the ball was snapped. It was a legal play and SHOULD NOT have been flagged.

Once again, the officials dictated the OUTCOME of a football game. Not one play, not one series, but the OUTCOME. Its ludicrous. I am so sick of poor officiating that I am almost (note the usage of the term almost) ready to boycott the NFL because of its failure to put a trustworthy product onto the field.

Originally posted by terpskins

You expect the refs (who you already blame for being too involved) to ascertain when it is appropriate to call a penalty and when it is not. But, you don't see how that gives them more power!

Whether it happens all the time, some of the time, or none of the time is not my point. My point is that every time the refs see a penalty they should call it.

If you feel a particular penalty is too nit-picky, then you should want the rule stricken from the rule book. Instead, you and many others are saying that refs should just ignore the rules. That is not the correct approach.

Anyway, your contention about the refs being a deciding factor. They were no more a deciding factor than Brunell throwing an interception when he is clearly within striking distance. In football, I don't really think there are any deciding factors. Just a series of decisions that ends with a win or loss.

Yes I agree, when a ref see's a penalty he should call it even if it's against the opossing (spelling ) team :Green Bay! they had

just as much, if not more illegal motions then we did..if ref's call a game call it the same for both teams...

Originally posted by redskin56

Once again, the officials dictated the OUTCOME of a football game. Not one play, not one series, but the OUTCOME. Its ludicrous. I am so sick of poor officiating that I am almost (note the usage of the term almost) ready to boycott the NFL because of its failure to put a trustworthy product onto the field.

Can we please stop saying this? That play did not guarantee us a win. Green Bay would've had the ball back with 2 minutes left, there was ample time for both teams to score in that time frame.

How much time remained on the clock is immaterial. The fact is that call took the go ahead score off the board. Even if GB would have come down and kicked a field goal, that call dictated the outcome of the game. GB would have still had to score to win. By removing the points off the board, it changed the outcome of the game, period.

I would like to see at what point of the play the flag actually did come out. I was at the game and as Portis broke free and my son and I started to celebrate, I quickly shifted my eyes back up the field. I was deflated when I saw that flag and I'm sure the team was. Gibbs was pretty miffed in the press conference too. A real heartbreaker.

As a neutral fan, I gotta say its tough to swallow the call. Here's how I see it:

1 Technically it was a penalty.

2 Always put the emphasis on your team executing perfectly. Never leave the officials the opportunity to decide the game - then this conversation doesn't happen.

3 We all know there are more infractions than penalties in the NFL. Holding for example. Even with the new emphasis on contact, you could say there's more illegal contact than gets called. To see that call at that point in the game seems unfair. Not illegal, write a letter to the NFL unfair. Just "If it wasn't for bad luck..." unfair. I know it must be gut-wrenching to see the game decided on that sort of slight technical infraction.

4 I've never understood the notion of calling a looser game at the most important moments. You see playoff games where people say "Let 'em play" on a holding call and I think to myself "Football is a game of discipline and smarts which rewards technique and practice. So why would we throw that out the window in a big game? If holding is illegal we should call it more in the Super Bowl, not less.." So I don't go along with officials being generous at important moments.

But, man, what a moment to make that call. How many times has that official not thrown the flag on that??

Short version: Brutal, picky way to lose a game but you shouldn't blame the officials more than the Skins.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold
Originally posted by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Do you agree with "The" penalty? I DO NOT, and I will tell you why. Today was a turning point in the season for both teams. It was essentially a playoff game. The Packers now suddenly have a rebirth, and we drop probably our easiest game for the rest of the year...

My complaint is: When you are officiating such an important game, why is it essential to make yourself the deciding factor? You see refs in basketball moving out of the way to "let the boys play" when the game is winding down. Especially when the game is extremely important. So why is it any different in football? The call might have been correct in technical terms, but why do we hate the BCS so much? Because it is TOO TECHNICAL. We are humans, we have common sense. And this my good friends, was horrible judgement by that official. What kind of time was that to make his presence felt? Let the boys play. <--- I think everybody can agree with me on that, even if you think that Thrash was in illegal motion. I think the ref has an illegal stick up his a$$, how 'bout that?

Refs now a days feel a NEED to insert themselves into the game anyway that they can. Let's not forget that holding can be called on almost every passing play possible. Referees need to show some discretion for the game when you consider that Thrash HAD momentarily set himself, WASN"T GOING OUT ON A ROUTE and had no affect whatsoever on the play.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Can we please stop saying this? That play did not guarantee us a win. Green Bay would've had the ball back with 2 minutes left, there was ample time for both teams to score in that time frame.

Yeah sure...Because GB's offense was doing so well in the 2nd half. :rolleyes:

It seems like the only thing that is preventing Brunell from being yanked is the blame being put on the refs. Brunell has bad game after bad game, yet we somehow are mathematically still in these games and still have a shot to win.

Yesterday, if the penalty wasn't called, and Portis scored, Green Bay could have easily scored a field goal to win the game. Green Bay drove 36 yards to score a touchdown after Brunell's INT. These 36 yards could have also come after a kickoff return. If they start at their 20, and drive 36 yards the same way, they still have time to keep driving to accumulate first downs.

Originally posted by terpskins

:doh:

Yeah. Considering they ended up scoring a TD after Brunell's turnover, I think Gamebreaker has a pretty accurate assessment.

The game was basically over already. Everyone knew that; including the defense. I don't think a garbage time touchdown proves your point at all.

Originally posted by HeHateIggles

The game was basically over already. Everyone knew that; including the defense. I don't think a garbage time touchdown proves your point at all.

Not really. If anything, Green Bay would have eased up on offense, while our defense would have tried to do whatever it could to prevent Green Bay from getting 1st downs. If our defense was playing like it didn't care about what happened, that would be a huge problem.

3-13-GB48 (2:35) M.Brunell pass intended for R.Gardner INTERCEPTED by A.Harris at GB 35. A.Harris to WAS 36 for 29 yards (C.Raymer).

TWO MINUTES AND 35 SECONDS LEFT in the game when Brunell threw the INT. That is hardly garbage time when you are down by one score.

I didn't see a penalty....... was a tough break....... not sure I will go as far as saying it cost you the game.... but it sure as hell didn't help ......

very iffy, if not down right bad call IMHO ......

you guys are right there in every game.... things will turn around for you....

peace

Originally posted by ramseyskins

Not really. If anything, Green Bay would have eased up on offense, while our defense would have tried to do whatever it could to prevent Green Bay from getting 1st downs. If our defense was playing like it didn't care about what happened, that would be a huge problem.

3-13-GB48 (2:35) M.Brunell pass intended for R.Gardner INTERCEPTED by A.Harris at GB 35. A.Harris to WAS 36 for 29 yards (C.Raymer).

TWO MINUTES AND 35 SECONDS LEFT in the game when Brunell threw the INT. That is hardly garbage time when you are down by one score.

The call was a momentum killer, and it swung the momentum to GB's side big time. And after a ridiculous call like that, the entire rest of the game (and probably our season) is GARBAGE.:toilet:

Archived