Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would everybody get real for a second ?!?

Mickalino

Why do so many sportswriters and posters here seem to think that Norv will have a "revenge" factor working for him, when he plays the Skins ? Puhhlease ! <br /><br />Number One.....When did Norv EVER respond to the revenge factor as coach of the Skins ? I didn't think so. Norv crumbled when faced with adversity and pressure. He only came out on top when everything was passive and easy, and he was expected to win.<br /><br />Number Two....Are we forgetting that Norv is not the head coach, but merely a coordinator ? An Offensive Coordinator On a Revengeful Rampage ? Sounds more like a title to a B Movie, than a realistic NFL scenario. Norv's revengeful motivation, even if he possessed an ounce of such a trait, wouldn't be much of a factor as a coordinator.<br /> <br /> [ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Die Hard ]

I agree, but Mick don't you see this as a classic trap game? First game, on the road to the West Coast against a 1-15 team? Norv knows the defensive personnel though the scheme will be different. He has 4 good new starters on defense plus Seau, and he has Flutie and Tomlinson on offense......that's alot of new pieces, but nothing Flutie does surprises me. Whaddaya think, easy win or struggle?

------------------

Hey, didn't you used to be the Boston Redskins (shaddup!)

A lot of us here have expressed the same worrisome sentiments, Bucs92. It is indeed the classic trap game. I discount Norv's presence, both for the revenge factor or for his familiarity with our defense. But the Chargers will be coming into the game full of hope and with nothing to lose. Flutie has also been a thorn in our side whenever we've played him - he's the prototype of the small, shifty QB that traditionally seems to give our defense fits. I still see us winning this game, but not as a runaway as many seem to expect. I also think it has the potential to be a high-scoring game, say 31-28 or thereabouts.

This cuts both ways.

If a team is perceived to have been better than their record the previous season, and is considered to be improved via moves made this off-season, then that team also has the burden of expectations. They can easily come out tight.

And as we well know, putting together a group of players, and fielding a 'team' are two different things.

Likewise, a team that was expected to be a Superbowl contender, then struggled to 8-8, fired it's coach, then lost a ton of players in free agency, and isn't considered a major player this year, can come in loose and ready to play tough.

I don't think it's a trap game, because I don't see a Davis and Goliath quality there. I think it's the kind of game that a coach like Marty can have his team ready for and have them play hard. If we do that, then combined with the talent we havem we should be ok.

Davis and Goliath? nice malaprop.....the "trap" is that the Chargers, though a 1-15 team last year, lost many of those games by 6 points or less. They were reasonably competitive. The pieces they added will be huge upgrades. The key issue is whether they can meld them together into a cohesive unit.

The Skins' problem was they added older players on the downside. Bruce Smith was great for 10 - 12 games, but then his pace fell off. Carrier was only OK and Deion is the WORST FA SIGNING IN THE HISTORY OF PRO FOOTBALL. That said, the defense was good last year. The Skins didn't lose because they added FAs (although the George cancer to BJ's performance can't be completely discounted), they lost because:

1) They lost their only real receiver and had a weak supporting cast

2) They lost their interior line

3) They couldn't kick a field goal (3 more W's easy)

So, for all the hoopla about Norv not winning and Danny overspending, the key issues were Cerrato's fault in my opinion. He should have known the receiving corps was thin and he should have got on the kicking situation much earlier with Conway hurt.

------------------

Thanks for reiterating my point Bucs92, even if you do draw the wrong conclusion.

Apparently, you, me and everyone else can see the Chargers as the shiny new and improved model, and the Redskins as a team with a lot of question marks and searching for a new identity under a new coach.

Yet if this game is a 'trap', then Skins would be the only ones NOT to recognize the relative fortunes of both teams THIS year, and would blunder into the contest over-confident because SD 1-15 last year.

Give me a break. The 'trap' is in your mind.

The Redskins are better than the Chargers hands down and should win.

The Chargers continue to have no receiving corps. They have a suspect o-line, a new QB, and a rookie RB. The only bona fide offensive weapon is Freddie Jones at TE, who is historically under-utilized on that team (but Norv should help him). Their defense remains very strong against the run, but is thin against the pass.

No win is guaranteed in the NFL, but the Redskins should win this one. If they are a playoff team, they should expect to.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Hmmmm.......you could be right Terry, but your arrogance makes me think you're a little blind........Skins favored by 3 points at San Diego (down from a TD just a few weeks ago).....I'm still takin' the points.

And, since the Skins have made exactly 1 playoff appearance in what, 8 years? I think calling them a playoff team is a bit of a stretch....

------------------

Those who consider this trap game are probably just suffering from a Norvous condition (although that is quite understandable).

Norv's Redskins were more than capable of falling in trap games and did so any number of times over the years (e.g. Cards, Bucs, Ravens, etc., etc.). I just don't see the 'Heimerskins gaffing in that same fashion. They'll win the games they're supposed to win.

Bucs92 what's up with you? Why are you hanging so much at a Skins site? Bored?

I'm not certain one can be trapped in game one of a season. Certainly not a team for which the expectations are not sky high. The Redskins are not perceived by many as a contending team. The Chargers, therefore, are not a team that the Redskins will be hyped against, and necessarily expected to romp over.

This would be MORE a trap game if Norv was still here and the Redskins had performed better under him a year ago. But, being that Marty is going to attempt to put his stamp on this team as rapidly as possible, it's probably not likely this team will be overconfident heading into the year, as the record reflects it was a year ago.

The Redskins have going for them a relatively easy start to the season. Under Norv, I'd expect a couple of losses, as Norv never lead the team very well in games it should have won, but, always seemed to do well against teams we shouldn't have matched up against. It will take time for Marty to impact the way this team approaches the game, but, it is not typical for Schottenheimer's teams to lose games where they are the better team. Generally, Marty's teams, play to a fairly constant level, and lose when they are going against teams with better ability.

San Diego will be an improved team from last year. The Redskins are more of a question mark to improve than the Chargers are. But, one can't realistically label this opener a trap. It's just an opener. Traps come later when complacency sets in.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

RE: Skins Question Marks

As far as question marks, the Redskins seem to have a habit of answering them positively. The biggest problem under Norv was seeing what we thought of as known quantities blow up in our face (eg, Dishman, Stubby). Now Gibbs was especially good at answering questions on his team to the positive ('82 and '91 were the best examples), but even Norv had questions answere positively (eg, in '99 there was a major question about the Redskin running game and it still didn't look too strong during the preseason then Davis ran for nearly 1500 yards).

Guys, there is only one thing which concerns me about this so called "trap" game: Think back to the beginning of the Norv Turner era (with my apologies!). If I rememeber correctly, Norv embarassed a much superior Dallas team not once, but twice that season (I may be mistaken on this - if I am please correct me). Now, the question is - was it inside information, i.e. Norv knowing the defensive personnel, was it Dallas' over confidence, or was it something else entirely? Seeing as to how Dallas has owned us for quite some time, I'm very skeptical to call it a coincidence.

SkinFlint,

Yes, in 1995 the 6-10 Redskins swept the Cowboys. However, in Norv's FIRST year with the Redskins, 1994, the Skins got swept by the Cowboys ... badly. So if Norv had inside info, it took him a full year to properly utilize it. smile.gif

I don't see the Charger game as a trap. Thanks to the Turner drama, this match-up will be pretty hyped-up, and IMHO the Skins won't be waltzing through a game against a team whose offense is run by their former head coach.

We'll see.

------------------

Hail to the Redskins!

Bucs92, read a bloody post before commenting on it would you? Redman said "If they are a playoff team, they should expect to." "IF" he said. "IF" I repeat. No way shape or form did he call the skins a playoff team. he said If they EXPECT to be a playoff team they should win. Just like if the bucs expect to be a playoff team they have to beat the bears or the lions or the potentially worse teams in football the cowboys and bengals if they played them. What he said was you win the games your supposed to in other words.

You have some good stuff to say but sometimes your clueless. And anyway comparing marty's tenure (0-0) to the last eight years under Norv (LOSING incompetence) is like comparing Bidwell to Jack Kent Cooke. Yea, they were team both owners but only one deserves the hall of fame. And it ain't gonna be Bidwell unless it's for incompetency.

Archived