Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was today the Portis we will see from now on?

cscmtp

or was it the Bears D? I LOVE Portis, and was VERY encouraged by his patience today, as he waited for the blocks, and of course his speed. I'm just wondering if today is the start of something great, Portis getting near 30 touches a game, or more a product of the Bears horrible D (*much like how Q Griffith looked so good against the Chiefs during week one, but has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth since)

What do you guys think?

Oh, and tonight, when everyone is saying their prayers before bed, pray that Gibbs starts Ramsey after the bye :cheers:

Originally posted by NoCalMike

well he DID get 36 carries.....

Give credit where credit is due man. Before the half, he already had 104 yards on 21 carries. That's a game worth of yardage right there. Throughout the whole game, he had to take carries while Brunell picked apart the Bears defense with his unstoppable aerial attack.

From what I understand, we ran Portis out of 3 and 4 WR formations today. We also tossed to him. That gave him more room to manuever. So a few adjustments to the offense were made this week and suddenly Portis is back. I think the 8 man in the box strategy is suddenly not gonna be the answer to stopping our running game anymore.

Originally posted by ramseyskins

Give credit where credit is due man. Before the half, he already had 104 yards on 21 carries. That's a game worth of yardage right there. Throughout the whole game, he had to take carries while Brunell picked apart the Bears defense with his unstoppable aerial attack.

Well yeah that is what I meant. 20-25(possibly 30) is more realistic for Portis's carry numbers. So I'd expect more in the 100 - 130yards rushing per game statbook.

What we think of as the real Portis comes from Denver where Portis had a passing game. This was a great game by Portis no doubt, he carried the offense, but we won't see the crazy explosive Portis until we can make teams respect our passing game.

I give a lot of credit to the offensive line in run support, Portis had lanes to cut back into and holes to run through.

Gibbs made some nice adjustments in the running game to help Portis. It was nice to see some runs out of the 3 and 4WR sets, and the pitch plays were great.

I don't remeber if they tried running Portis out of the I formation with a FB blocking in previous games, but I like it.

If they can get the passing game going, this offense will be a threat.

Originally posted by ramseyskins

Thank you! Everybody needs to give this guy his credit and stop looking back, its over. Lets look forward.

I think it depends.

There were two key things in this game that made Portis look like his normal self.

1- Gibbs adapted the playcalling. He called more plays to utilize Portis' strengths. More toss plays and draws than in the previous games.

2- The OL for the most part, blocked much better in this game than they have all season. He had more holes to run through.

If these two things continue to be the norm, then we will see this type of production more regularly from Portis.

I think the game is something to build on.

:2cents:

Now if the damn passing game would get on track, they can keep defenses honest and Portis would be even more of a weapon.

Archived